Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Where do you get your steaks?

10,420 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Big Country51
Chickenhawk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, where?

We typically get ours from kroger. They are decent, but not great. I'm starting to think that there is no high quality beef in GA so I'm considering mail order...just not sure where to start.
HTownAg98
HEB Prime1 or Choice, depending on what looks good that day and what I'm wanting to cook. Costco generally has better prices, but the fact that they blade tenderize (why TF do they do this?) their steaks is a non-starter for me.
TXAG 05
AG
HEB or Crowd Cow.
OregonAggie
AG
I always go to HEB. When I lived in Oregon, we went to Fred Meyer, which is a Kroger company, for most of our stuff but I bought from a local butcher if I wanted anything that was prime grade. It was a lot harder to find good steaks when I didn't live in Texas!
Long Live Sully
AG
Try Costco in GA. They will have choice and prime.
Bruce Almighty
AG
A Waygu ranch that is two miles from my house.
Chickenhawk
Cow Hop Ag said:

I'll have to wait...they are currently building one right up the road. I think they expect to open in August.
Long Live Sully
AG
Chickenhawk said:

Cow Hop Ag said:

I'll have to wait...they are currently building one right up the road. I think they expect to open in August.
Where are you? I did 8 years in GA... Got myself out of that miserable traffic. Great place and wonderful people but it got to be as miserable as Houston or Dallas.
Chickenhawk
I'm in Newnan. Ended up out here in 2009. It has grown so much in the past couple years that Newnan/Peachtree City is just as bad with traffic as the rest of the metro.
Long Live Sully
AG
Yeah.. We left in 09. Now, when I fly in I get lost driving around Hartsfield.

Hope you get to Texas soon!
Chickenhawk
Appreciate it. I'll be back in a couple months to visit my dad.
aggiejumper
AG
Costco or Holy Grail Steaks (online) depending on what we are looking for.
Guppy
AG
aggiejumper said:

Costco or Holy Grail Steaks (online) depending on what we are looking for.

I've never heard of Holy Grail but geez weez! Some of those are pricey!
Shakes the Clown
Goodwill
John Francis Donaghy
Looks worth a visit. Not too far from Newnan.

http://cleaverandcork.net

Quote:

We are very proud of our beef selection. Our beef is sourced from the very top tier of USDA Choice and USDA Prime grades. We offer restaurant quality beef that isn't available at traditional retail stores. Whether you are looking for the basics or something a bit more specialized like Dry Aged, we have you covered.
Chickenhawk
John Francis Donaghy said:

Quote:

We are very proud of our beef selection. Our beef is sourced from the very top tier of USDA Choice and USDA Prime grades. We offer restaurant quality beef that isn't available at traditional retail stores. Whether you are looking for the basics or something a bit more specialized like Dry Aged, we have you covered.

Not too far, indeed. 5 minutes from my house. Thank you, outstanding find!
OregonAggie
AG

Quote:

And that's the power of Texags.

WE KNOW STUFF!!
NColoradoAG
Chickenhawk said:

Quote:

Not too far, indeed. 5 minutes from my house. Thank you, outstanding find!
That place looks good. It's always nice to have a place where you can grab some dry aged beef.

I also second the Costco recommendation. When that opens up you should be able to get whole prime grade rib roasts or strip roasts for a good price. I really like the rib roasts because you can get a lot out of it other than just steaks. I'll cut the roast in half first and then cut the off the spinalis. I use that for appetizers or cheesesteaks. Then from that same half ill cut the bones off and portion out center cut ribeye steaks. You can freeze the bones for winter or go ahead and make stock for french onion soup or stews. Then I cut whole bone in ribeye's from the other half.
aggiejumper
AG
Yes, it's a special occasion steak for sure but they are authentic and rare (the snow beef steaks come from only 2 cows slaughtered a month and sell out within hours). The flavor and texture is something that is so unique, rich, and just plain awesome.
htxag09
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

HEB or Crowd Cow.

I used to use crowd cow but now use porter road. I've thought their steaks have been better quality. Also the packaging is much better. Every package I got from crowd cow had holes do the the plastic coming in contact with the dry ice.
BSD
AG
http://www.flannerybeef.com

This is my go to for quality steaks. Been using them for years. The build your own burger setup is pretty sweet too.

Otherwise I do Central Market.
yippee2
AG
it's all about the quality grade.

i get ours from 44farms.com

Dr. Horrible
HLSR
Fall92
AG
Operated by an Aggie- http://www.brandtbeef.com/index.php
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
f burg ag
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

HLSR
Same here. Buy a steer every year and live off of 300 pounds of every cut until the next HLSR.
JYDog90
AG
f burg ag said:

Dr. Horrible said:

HLSR
Same here. Buy a steer every year and live off of 300 pounds of every cut until the next HLSR.

Haven't they been pumping them up with protein before they show?
Formerly Willy Wonka
TXAG 05
AG
willie wonka said:

f burg ag said:

Dr. Horrible said:

HLSR

Haven't they been pumping them up with protein before they show?

So?
javajaws
AG
I usually pick up whole tenderloins from Restaurant Depot and cut them into steaks myself. Usually can find one around $80-90 and it makes enough steaks for a family of 4 for 2-3 meals.
JYDog90
AG
they're all bulked up and not enough fat.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Dr. Horrible
'03ag
HTownAg98 said:

HEB Prime1 or Choice, depending on what looks good that day and what I'm wanting to cook. Costco generally has better prices, but the fact that they blade tenderize (why TF do they do this?) their steaks is a non-starter for me.
do they blade tenderize the big bulk stuff that you slice up yourself?
NColoradoAG
'03ag said:

HTownAg98 said:

do they blade tenderize the big bulk stuff that you slice up yourself?
No. Only the pre-cut steaks.
Chickenhawk

Quote:

Heading there now. Will report back.

Edit: just got back. Grabbed a lb of wagyu fillets, 1lb of prime fillets, scallops the size of hockey pucks, texas hot links, and andoiulle. They did have a sirloin cut called culotte, almost pulled the trigger on it. They also have prime brisket at 6.95/lb, which is very reasonable for out here.
Chickenhawk
I cant believe yall let me do that. Seriously.

I put a wagyu filet and a prime filet in the cast iron tonight...and we cannot go back to eating cheap meat ever again. That wagyu was out of this world...T&P for my wallet.
Cassius
If you have a Costco, try them. They have pretty darn good steaks.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.