Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Where do you get your steaks?

10,319 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Big Country51
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
willie wonka said:

they're all bulked up and not enough fat.
What????? Show cattle are fed to a choice grade or "finish" in order to compete. Even if a calf doesn't quite get there, they are usually plenty fat and have had the greatest treatment.

Back to topic... I buy whole choice or prime ribeyes at Sams. Occasionally I'll buy NEB Prime 1 or get steals at Moody's Meat Market.
CrawfordAg
AG
Costco's prime ribeye cap steaks are hard to beat.
NColoradoAG
Does Readfields in Bryan carry dry aged prime beef?
Austintm
CrawfordAg said:

Costco's prime ribeye cap steaks are hard to beat.
These are awesome...when they have them
NColoradoAG
Ordered some steaks from Flannerys for a special occasion this weekend. They were phenomenal and priced very reasonably. Very nicely cut and sized. Great dry aged flavor. Also like being able to order "a la carte" as some people wanted strips and filets instead of ribeye. Highly recommend.
Ft Worth Ag
AG
Does HEB have the same selection, or similar to, as Central Market? I have gotten some really good steaks at CM for special occasions when cost is not a deciding factor.
TXAG 05
AG
Ft Worth Ag said:

Does HEB have the same selection, or similar to, as Central Market? I have gotten some really good steaks at CM for special occasions when cost is not a deciding factor.

Depends on the store, but for the most part, yes. All kinds of stuff, Prime, wagyu, dry aged, etc.
jgh85Ag
AG
Heb/Costco or for a great steak, Bolners.

Bolners akaushi bone in ribeyes are incredible.
HTownAg98
B-1 83 said:

willie wonka said:

they're all bulked up and not enough fat.
What????? Show cattle are fed to a choice grade or "finish" in order to compete. Even if a calf doesn't quite get there, they are usually plenty fat and have had the greatest treatment.

Back to topic... I buy whole choice or prime ribeyes at Sams. Occasionally I'll buy NEB Prime 1 or get steals at Moody's Meat Market.

I've eaten plenty of show steers in my day, and it's rare that they ever got to choice unless you fed them a bunch after the last show. High select is where they'd usually top out, but they had good flavor to make up for the lower quality grade.
94chem
Whatever is on sale or in the markdown bin. That's just aging in my book.
Joe Exotic
AG
Ft Worth Ag said:

I've seen National/Excel packaged whole cuts at H-E-B. Same packer that Kroger uses. It's good beef.
Tumble Weed
NColoradoAG said:

Does Readfields in Bryan carry dry aged prime beef?
I have not seen any dry aged, but I saw some wagyu last time that I was in there at a mere $49 a lb.

I have also picked up prime NY strips from them that were really good.

BSD
AG
Flannery had a sale on NY Strips and Hanger steaks a couple of weeks ago so I picked up 6 of each. I cooked some hangers last night. So good! So good I didn't get a finished pic.

His sales are really hard to pass up.
PFG
AG
We are going to need more info on that cooking fire/coal table.
RK
AG
That thing is sweet.
BSD
AG
That there is my new open fire table grill! That was my initial cook on it so I'll post more about it later once I get back from vacation and have more people over to really load it up. Don from Profab Custom Fabrication (username: the pit man) made that for me. Here are some more pics:

T Durden
AG
Who are you and what do you do dude? Im jealous.

Great wines, great steaks, Napa and Chicago vacations to eat, bad ass flat coal custom grill in the front yard...teach me.
Cassius
My favorite cut of steak is the prime New York strip from Costco.

It cannot be beat imo.
jgh85Ag
AG
Then you have never had an akaushi bone in ribeye from bolners.
Bruce Almighty
AG
T Durden said:

Who are you and what do you do dude? Im jealous.

Great wines, great steaks, Napa and Chicago vacations to eat, bad ass flat coal custom grill in the front yard...teach me.

He's MFBarnes' accountant.
94chem
Got a new $169 Char broil today. It only has 4 wheels. That thing above looks like it came from the book of Ezekiel.
fishag04
AG
I really want that table!
BSD
AG
T Durden said:

With that description, it sounds like I could teach you about gluttony and fat assery.
T Durden
AG
I know enough about that already.

I just need to figure out the bankroll piece.
Big Country51
AG
I'll get a fresh batch of steaks from my backyard every couple of months when the freezer is looking empty
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.