Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

100 year old sausage stuffer

10,944 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HTownAg98
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A buddy called me up and told me he'd found something while tearing down an old house here in WV. He knows I like to make homemade sausages and he wanted it to go to a good home. So I drove over and looked at it. It's a 100 year old enterprise cast iron sausage stuffer.

I don't know when it was used last. Maybe in the 70s, given the plastic replacement funnel. Nothing worked. The grease was solidified and some of the threads on the screw drive were bunged up. After a LOT of file work to clean up the threads and some serious grease excavation, I got it all apart.

After a hot water/degreaser soak and scrub the Next step was into my gas stove for a 3 hour blast on self cleaning cycle to burn all the seasoning and grease out. I Brillo padded the surface rust, and used a wire wheel where it was more significant, then back into a 250 degree oven for a half hour to dry. I coated with crisco and back into the oven at 375 for 30 min then 450 for 30 min. Cooled and repeat. I didn't reseason the crank arm because the iron is forged around the wood. I just oiled the wood and coated the arm with a nice coat of oil. It was in pretty good shape still.

The finished product. A little mineral oil in the lube points and she is smooth as silk and ready to make sausage again.

bmc13
AG
very cool
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Props to your friend. Good stuff!
hph6203
AG
This was good, if not unintentional.
Reel Aggies
AG
Awesome. Metal geared stuffers are the way to go.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Pretty neat
MookieBlaylock
AG
Originally thought this was gonna be a deek pic

But the pics are truly outstanding
normaleagle05
AG
Nice! I wonder what kind of stuffer tubes that shipped with originally.
Hodor
AG
Really cool.
That's more work than I'd have done (because I'd have gotten frustrated and given up), and the result looks to be completely worth it.

How much does that thing weigh?
AggieChemist
AG
normaleagle05 said:

I'm not sure. The original manufacturer is still in business and sells replacement parts but only offers the tubes in plastic. I have ordered a stainless one with the same flange OD as the original from LEM. Ran me about $14. Should be here tomorrow.

In my research I have found that these are also effective lard/fruit presses and most were used for that purpose.
AggieChemist
AG
Hodor said:

Really cool.
That's more work than I'd have done (because I'd have gotten frustrated and given up), and the result looks to be completely worth it.

How much does that thing weigh?
A lot. Like 40 lbs. I was worried that my oven rack was gonna give under all the weight, but with careful distribution of parts, it held.
AggieChemist
AG
Oh, I don't think I mentioned that the total labor time was about 13 hours for this restoration, including the seasoning. I started poking around on it at noon, got obsessed, and finished it around 1:15 am. I am making some venison/jalapeno/cheese sausages in natural hog casings next week for her first run in decades.
Slagathor
AG
Awesome find, my family uses the same one to make our deer sausage every year. We actually just used ours a few weeks ago for this year's sausage. Don't know where my dad got his originally but it's been around forever and works great!
FIDO*98*
AG
Very cool AC. I bet that thing would be worth several hundred bucks in an antiques shop now that it's restored.
HTownAg98
normaleagle05 said:

I think it is hammered aluminum, because the Enterprise stuffer I have is just as old, and that's what it has. The original leather washer finally fell apart about 10 years ago.
AggieBarstool
I'm impressed we got this far in and there haven't been any sexual innuendo.

That said, this looks impressive as hell! Good job, OP.
Ornlu
AG
My dad has this same model. He bought it around 2008, off of ebay. The previous owner had been using it as a cider press, and it was well coated with sticky/acidic residue. He stripped it down the same way, but it probably took him a lot longer than it did you AC.

We used it a dozen or more times, including to make 50lbs of sausage back in November. It'll last another hundred years with a little care.
Ornlu
AG
Oh, one other thing: it leaks a tiny bit of meat around the perimeter of the cast iron disk. His has about a 1/16th to a 1/32nd inch gap around the plate, which lets meat sneak thru. To fix it, he just sets a custom-cut sheet of HDPE (made from a thin plastic cutting board) on top of the meat before lowering the cast iron plate. The HDPE disk is 1/16th of an inch bigger than the cast iron so it seals the gap.
HTownAg98
I always get a tiny bit leaking through on ours. It's no larger than a meatball, and I just throw it on top when I reload the stuffer.
AggieChemist
AG

bunlundun
AG
I am a sausage making newbie. Is the 15/85 just the lean meat ratio you used? How much fat(and what kind) would you typically add in something like this

Edit for clarity
AggieChemist
AG
I used 15% venison (100% lean) and 85% whole hog ground pork (approx 70% lean). I did not add extra fat
chilidogfood
AG
Are you selling it now?

https://houston.craigslist.org/app/d/houston-cast-iron-sausage-stuffer/6787010672.html
La Fours
AG
If I were to attempt to make some by grinding up a pork butt, do you think it would have enough fat, or would I need to add some?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Plenty of fat in a butt, IMO.
AggieChemist
AG
chilidogfood said:

Are you selling it now?

https://houston.craigslist.org/app/d/houston-cast-iron-sausage-stuffer/6787010672.html

Nope
94chem
Interesting story. I like that you used the metric system. No good reason to let the engineers make sausage. I don't know if it matters what you seasoned with, since you won't be using high temps, but for future reference, linseed (flax) is the way to go for seasoning cast iron. Its primary component is triply unsaturated linoleic acid, and those double bonds give it a low smoke point and cause the protective cross-linking to occur. Once I understood the chemistry, it made perfect sense. Time to leave this thread... it's just a sausage fest.
HTownAg98
Cowboy Curtis said:

Plenty of fat in a butt, IMO.

At an 85/15 pork/venison ratio, yes. Below about 70/30 pork/venison ratio, it's too lean.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.