Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Top 3 Restaurant Experiences

14,663 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jeffdjohnson
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Funnest - some low brow version of medieval times outside of Dresden. It seat about 20 people and at one point they grabbed two of us, put helmets on us and had use fight with real (but blunted) swords. Then we got drunk(er)

Most delicious - spending a couple hundred and an afternoon trying a whole bunch of at the oxbow public market in Napa.

Favorite - the green room in Dallas used to have a "wine me / dine me" which was a prix fixe dinner with a wine pairing. It was an cheap enough that I could afford to do it but chicks absolutely loved it and fresh out of school you felt like a baller.
I thought I had gone back to add this but I see I did not. The Green Room is my sentimental favorite because of the "Wine Me Dine Me". First real tasting menu and it was at a tough time in my life.

Loved this place and wish it was still around. I believe it was $75 a head for 3 courses plus wine pairing, if I remember correctly.
Duncan Idaho
I dont think it was even $50 a head
94chem
Chez Nous, Humble

Fogo de Chao, Houston

Souper Salad in Colorado Springs after spending 2 weeks camping in Yellowstone and the Tetons.
Buck Compton
AG
To me, the most memorable meals are more due to the people around me or the circumstances. That's why I didn't list those.

- August E's in Fredericksburg because it was immediately after I got engaged
- First real meal in Switzerland on my honeymoon
- Last minute meal at Saltgrass with my Grandpa back before he passed

I remember almost every minute of those.

But for the purposes of this thread, I figured my ones from earlier meant more. I still think of the Alinea meal often, even though it wasn't as good as French Laundry taste-wise in my memory.
AustinCountyAg
1. Blossom in Charleston (best entree I have ever ate, blackened catfish served over shrimp and grits)

2. Brenner's in Houston (ate an anniversary meal there once. we had reservations for another place and left because of the noise, called brenners in the truck and the squeezed us in and treated us great).

3. Pappas in Houston always treats us first class
BSD
AG
Top 3 will be hard to do because of so many factors: the location, the people you're with, and of course, the food. For this exercise, I'm going to concentrate on food and exclude many special meals that hold a special place in my heart (not that the below don't share that with other meals, but here the food/experience reigned supreme)

here we go with the countdown:

3. Lotus of Siam - I never knew Thai could be this good. And it isn't expensive. At all. I mean, it is when you order a 40 year old bottle of Reisling but the food itself isn't expensive!

2. "Next" in Chicago. This is Alinea's sister restaurant that changes concepts every 3-4 months. I've been to Alinea (after the experience at Next) and I'd actually consider this a tie but the reason I'm choosing Next is that for this meal, the meal was based on Alinea's first ten years of service. So it in a sense, it was Alinea that night. The Black Truffle Explosion course, which was black truffle juice inside a ravioli, was the most memorable single bite of food I'd ever had. And then it was gone. One bite of pure bliss never to be served to me again...until I bought the Alinea cookbook and made it at home. If I lived in Chicago, I'd get Next season tickets. Hell, I might do it anyways and just fly up for dinners!

1. French Laundry. An easy and predictable pick, but well earned. I've been several times but the first trip was my favorite. I had planned on going for my 40th birthday but had recently been diagnosed with a heart condition and moved the trip up a few years...just in case. The staff, the food, the ambiance, and the friends we were with made it over the top special. The way every detail is thought out amazes me. It's a symphony of food and service. And it was my first experience with white truffles. We had just sat down when the waiter brought them to another table and opened the box. The aroma filled the room and I knew right then, costs be damned, I'm getting that dish!!!
Buck Compton
AG
BSD said:

3. Lotus of Siam - I never knew Thai could be this good. And it isn't expensive. At all. I mean, it is when you order a 40 year old bottle of Reisling but the food itself isn't expensive!
I eat there every time I am in Vegas. The new location is a bit nicer decor, but everyone I have ever brought there goes back again and raves about it.
biobioprof
The funny thing is that as much as I love good food, the most memorable restaurant meals for me were most remembered for the good time had with the people I shared them with. For example, #1 for me might be:

Upstairs at Chez Panisse while I was in grad school. I don't even remember what we had other than that it was really good and we drank a lot of wine/champagne and laughed a lot. I think oysters were involved.

I also have fond memories of a meal I had in Huntington, NY on Long Island when I was by myself... because a couple of complete strangers took pity on me andd invited me to join them at their table and we had a great time. The place, which closed in 2015, had one of the most interesting and tasty versions of fried calamari I've ever had:

http://places.singleplatform.com/34-new-street-restaurant/menu

Quote:

Orange-Sesame Calamari $12.00

lightly breaded calamari, fried and tossed in a glaze of garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, orange zest, and a bit of crushed red pepper. served with an orange-ginger dipping sauce.

That's not even counting some really good restaurant meals where I can't even remember the name of the place.
Fall92
AG
Not on my original list but three of my favorite restaurants in the U.S. are Husk in charleston, R'evolution in nola and George's in La Jolla.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Tumble Weed
When I was a kid Dad used to take me to the big city if I had good grades on my report card.

We would eat at Wall Street bar and grill and I ordered surf and turf with a gold brick for dessert.

Dad is long gone, but the memories remain. I have not been back to the restaurant since he has passed. I would rather remember it the way it was.
thisguy05
AG
1) McCrady's - Charleston. Single best dish I've ever had. Marlin Crudo with finger lime
2) Alinea - Chicago. Best, top to bottom.
3) Grace - Chicago. Best service. Can't wait til Duffy opens a new one.

Since Grace is closed I'll add Le Bernardin as 3A.

Doing The French Laundry (and Saison) this month. Can't wait!
GarlandAg2012
AG
The last time I was there, the Gold Brick was still around and was still a great treat.
rononeill
Il Latino in Florence. probably 20 friends in town for a buddy's wedding. In retrospect, it's a tourist trap. But family style 7 courses with free flowing jug Chianti - easily a top three dining event.

Sorbelloni in Bellagio (I think). The restaurant sits on what seems like the tip of the point. The views were indescribable, the food was far beyond anything we'd ever had, just amazing.

Slogars in Crested Butte. Something about all you can eat fried chicken after a long cold day on the hill with a bunch of friends.

I think it was said before, but the company often makes it most memorable.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Tumble Weed said:

When I was a kid Dad used to take me to the big city if I had good grades on my report card.

We would eat at Wall Street bar and grill and I ordered surf and turf with a gold brick for dessert.

Dad is long gone, but the memories remain. I have not been back to the restaurant since he has passed. I would rather remember it the way it was.
Wall Street is damn good, the entire menu. Best chicken fried steak in America.
Wolfman03
AG
-Del Posto in New York City. I've been here a couple of times and everything is always impeccable - the food, the service, and the atmosphere.

-Quintonil in Mexico City - Seasonal tasting menu with wine pairing. They take traditional staples of Mexican cuisine (nopales, escamoles, etc.) and prepare them with a modern flair.

-Ginza Sushi-Ko Honten in Tokyo - Incredible omakase sushi experience. The prawns were still twitching on our plates.
steve00
AG
Quintonil is incredible. Had a 4 hour lunch there earlier this year. Pujol and Sud777 are also really good.

Mexico City's top places are on par with American 3 star places I've been, but more exotic and way cheaper.
DiskoTroop
94chem said:

Souper Salad in Colorado Springs after spending 2 weeks camping in Yellowstone and the Tetons.

Had a similar meal at a BBQ place in Durango. Absolutely on par with some of the best experiences ever!!
CowtownAg06
AG
austinag1997 said:

Wanna hear some ***** Remy on a Disney cruise. I have eaten really great meals in many different cities (not French Laundry), and that experience was the best my wife and I have experienced. Flame away. $300 with my own bottle of Bordeaux they chilled earlier in the day and decanted.
I'll back this up... I knew it would be good, but man it blew us away.

I'd also add the The Modern in NYC and probably Pappas.

HHAG
AG
Paul Bocuse - Lyon (pumpkin soup and epaule d'agneau)
Sawada Sushi - Tokyo (omekase awesomeness)
Atlantis - Orlando (salmon in a morel creme sauce)
YouBet
AG
I'm not sure foodie people factor this that much but TripAdvisor just named Geronimo in Santa Fe, NM the #1 restaurant in America. I'm still surprised I was able to get reservations 2 weeks out on OpenTable. It was wide open and I had frankly never heard of it until I was researching restaurants on TripAdvisor.
Buck Compton
AG
YouBet said:

I'm not sure foodie people factor this that much but TripAdvisor just named Geronimo in Santa Fe, NM the #1 restaurant in America. I'm still surprised I was able to get reservations 2 weeks out on OpenTable. It was wide open and I had frankly never heard of it until I was researching restaurants on TripAdvisor.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/434gqw/i-made-my-shed-the-top-rated-restaurant-on-tripadvisor

After that, it's tough for me to take trip advisor seriously...
GarlandAg2012
AG
Buck Compton said:

YouBet said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/434gqw/i-made-my-shed-the-top-rated-restaurant-on-tripadvisor

YouBet
AG
Buck Compton said:

YouBet said:

Ha!
TexAg91
AG
Bern's in Tampa
BSD
AG
TexAg91 said:

Bern's in Tampa

Someday I want to go there just to visit the wine cellar.

(And eat and have a glass of wine of course)
MichaelJ
AG
YouBet said:

Buck Compton said:

Alinea in Chicago (kinda weird but delicious and most memorable)
L'Atelier Robouchon in Vegas (awesome to watch it being prepared)
French Laundry (my first 3-star as well, so it makes the list)

Jealous of this. For anyone not familiar with Alinea, go watch the Chefs Table (?) episode with their chef on Netflix. Truly incredible looking experience.

If you want to truly experience Alinea, don't watch the chef's table. And don't google it before you go. Take the board's word for it and pony up the cash.

I moved to Chicago and had seen the chef's table on Netflix. Made Alinea a top priority. It lived up to expectations and was awesome. But they still use some of the tricks and things shown in the tv show and some of the surprises were just not as surprising.
ktownag08
AG
Most memorable was a hole in the wall in Ubud, Bali.

Wife and I were just seated at our table on the patio and power went out. Chef wheeled a propane grill out to the middle of the patio, pulled out a generator for the string lights, and fired both up. Said "we'll grill anything on the menu we can and and bar is still open". Knocked back many mojioto's, had grilled steak/veggies/bread, and ate some fresh mozzarella all while sitting in the middle of the Indonesian jungle. Whole situation was like being in a movie...

Have enjoyed other high end restaurant experiences, but nothing has come close to topping that experience.

thisguy05
AG
thisguy05 said:

1) McCrady's - Charleston. Single best dish I've ever had. Marlin Crudo with finger lime

The French Laundry was incredible. Had white truffles. Met Thomas Keller! Was the best restaurant We'd ever been to, for two days...

Then we went to Saison. It was unbelievable. Our table was in the kitchen. Every dish would've been the best thing served in any other restaurant. Service was flawless. Can't recommend highly enough.
dc509
AG
1. La Pergola - Rome - Absolutely incredible, and we could pretty clearly hear a Pearl Jam concert.

2. Frank Underground - Dallas - My wife and I have been to Frank three times.

3. FIG - Charleston - The common table was a lot of fun.
MBUSA
La Bernadine

11 Madison Park

Twist
country
AG
Restaurant Daniel in NYC is on a different planet than anything I've ever experienced. 8 course meal with wine pairings and service that I've simply never seen. I was fortunate to enjoy this one with my daughter on her first trip to New York.

Mymy in San Francisco. Have to put this one on there for best breakfast experience I've ever had. Looks like a little coffee shop and when the food arrived it just exploded with flavor. My favorite meal in San Francisco over a three day period.

Ernesto's Mexican Specialties in San Antonio. I've had the pleasure of eating all over the U.S. and I always come back to Ernesto's. The location is horrible, and the decor is far from flashy, but the service, kindness, and food quality brings me back time and again. Always quiet and enjoyable as opposed to many other places.
YouBet
AG
I forgot about one that was unique....wife and I had a private dinner with Tre Wilcox and Abraham Salum (both chefs here in Dallas) at Tre's home. I made sure to win a live auction event for this as a gift for my wife who is a massive foodie and Top Chef fan.

Tre was on Top Chef several years ago in one of the earlier seasons. Grew up at Abacus. Great guy; great story and very personable and fun. Abraham started Komali and Salum Restaurant here in Dallas. Both great restaurants although I don't think he owns them anymore (at least not the latter).

Really cool experience to be in a chef's home and having him cook for you personally and then to have his chef friend show up and cook also!
austinag1997
AG
Kool said:

3. Commander's Palace in New Orleans in the 90s. Not sure how it is now.
2. Mark's Restaurant in Houston. Maybe it was just that night, the mood, the company, whatever, but everything was absolutely perfect. I was shocked that it closed.
1. Geronimo's in Santa Fe. My buddy somehow got us in on a special Chef's Tasting Menu there that went on and on forever but never failed to disappoint.

Comnanders is still worth the trip. I dont know how they keep reloading chefs like they do. Lally and Ti manage to do it. Emiril, Paul, Jamie... amazing.
ORAggieFan
thisguy05 said:

thisguy05 said:

The French Laundry was incredible. Had white truffles. Met Thomas Keller! Was the best restaurant We'd ever been to, for two days...

Then we went to Saison. It was unbelievable. Our table was in the kitchen. Every dish would've been the best thing served in any other restaurant. Service was flawless. Can't recommend highly enough.

Doing Saison next month. Love reading this!
Random Ag
AG
Gramery Tavern (NYC) - tasting menu and fabulous service. Oh and an anonymous patron picked up our champagne tab and then our entire tab when they found out we we're celebrating my husband was cancer free

Aramburu (Buenos Aires) - 19 courses for an extremely reasonable price

Edit: Restaurant Iso (Niigata Japan) - French Japanese amazingness

Have eaten at a lot of other great restaurants in NYC, Napa, SF, and Chicago but those 3 were the top
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.