Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Cheese enchiladas

8,114 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wadd96
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My culture is not your ******* enchiladas!!!!
memace
AG
jxs40 said:

Quick and easy if somewhat messy

Open a can of Wolf brand chili (no beans) in a skillet and warm.
Place a couple or three corn tortillas in the warm chili to coat and soften
fill with choice of cheese and onions and place in a 13x9 baking dish
poor remaining chili over the top and add more cheese and onions if desired.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Mom is that you?
bigboykin
AG
That Homesick Texan one is really close to what I do, but I do like some 'con carne' in the sauce, so I add some ground beef and probably a little more liquid but I hit it gently with the immersion blender at the end so the sauce is smoother than chili but a little chunkier than just chili gravy and with a meaty backbone.
Phrasing
AG
Question on how to heat the tortillas in the oil? the OP and the homesick texan recipe both called to heat the corn tortillas in oil but didn't provide a lot of specifics (I'm more of a novice so want to make sure I am doing this right).

How hot do you get the oil? I'm guessing you want to avoid frying the tortillas so more of a medium low heat? And just 10-15 seconds per side? Do you submerge the whole tortilla in the oil or is the oil just on the bottom of the pan?

TIA
Bruce Almighty
AG
clinker03 said:

Question on how to heat the tortillas in the oil? the OP and the homesick texan recipe both called to heat the corn tortillas in oil but didn't provide a lot of specifics (I'm more of a novice so want to make sure I am doing this right).

How hot do you get the oil? I'm guessing you want to avoid frying the tortillas so more of a medium low heat? And just 10-15 seconds per side? Do you submerge the whole tortilla in the oil or is the oil just on the bottom of the pan?

TIA

I learned this trick from a Mexican a few years ago and it works great. Heat oven to 350, place tortillas on a baking sheet and some oil in a spray bottle. Spray tortillas with oil, flip, spray again and bake about 3 minutes. They come out perfect and you don't have to mess around with softening them up individually.
Phrasing
AG
Thanks!
Belton Ag
AG
I take a small saucepan and fill about halfway with vegetable oil, I heat it over medium heat until the oil just begins to bubble and fry when you put in the tortilla. I put it in for a few seconds and then flip and fry for a few more seconds. Don't leave them in the oil or they'll crisp, but this method is what I use every time for enchiladas. When I'm doing tacos, I fry the corn tortillas for a few seconds longer until they begin to get just crisp yet really pliable.
wadd96
AG
Belton Ag said:

I take a small saucepan and fill about halfway with vegetable oil, I heat it over medium heat until the oil just begins to bubble and fry when you put in the tortilla. I put it in for a few seconds and then flip and fry for a few more seconds. Don't leave them in the oil or they'll crisp, but this method is what I use every time for enchiladas. When I'm doing tacos, I fry the corn tortillas for a few seconds longer until they begin to get just crisp yet really pliable.

I use this same method.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.