Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Educate me on seafood

5,632 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BusterAg
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I recently moved to Pensacola and I'm looking to enjoy some of the fresh seafood markets around here. I've always enjoyed seafood, but never lived down the street from a fresh seafood market with reasonable prices. So I've never really been very adventurous in trying different fish. So I'm curious, what fish do you like, and how do you like to cook them? Which fish should I get them to skin/fillet for me, which should I leave the skin on for?

Just a few of the options I've seen include, flounder, redfish, red snapper, yellowtail snapper, perch, mullet, halibut, grouper, mahi mahi, swordfish, catfish, etc. And of course they've got shrimp, several varieties, crab, etc.

Thanks
Beckdiesel03
AG
I would love to know as well. My kids love fish and shrimp but I just don't have a ton of ways to cook them. We always end up doing it the same way.
wreckt01
I'm no chef, but I cook a lot of fish. Here is what works for us:

Swordfish: grill like a steak at about 400 degrees, with evoo or grapeseed oil, lime zest, salt and pepper. Top with pineapple, mango, red onion, Jalepeno salsa.

Grouper: fry or IMO even better blackened. No skin

Salmon: skin on, grill with lots of smoke( I use a green egg. Lemon and dill or dizzy pigs raging river rub
Can also saut in non stick. If you leave the skin on, make it crispy or throw the skin away. Can't eat the stuff unless it's done right.
Bakes great as well if you don't like the smoke.

Mahi - I grill with skin on, remove skin prior to serving. I season with citrus, salt pepper. Makes awesome stand alone or fish tacos

Snapper, grill the whole fish. Cut a few slots on each side, grill 5 mins per side, then wrap or place on foil and cook until done. Seasoning varies, but I prefer light blackening spices

Also grilled Chilean sea bass is outstanding.

Crabs: boil or steam. I prefer steamed with clarified butter

Shrimp, grilled or cooked skilled with bacon grease. Don't overlook or the turn into rubber bands.

Scallops: seared in butter

Tuna: seared or grilled at high hear( 600+) leave rare to medium rare if you get quality fish.

wreckt01
Too many typos to correct( on a flight) but you get the idea.
JCA1
AG
No expert but recommend skin on red snapper. Seared skin side down over med-high heat until skin is crispy. Flip to cook through.

My one tip is on scallops. Pack them between paper towels an hour or so before cooking. Removing the excess surface moisture ensures a better crust rather than a steam (also, don't overcrowd the pan). Sear over high heat until the brown crust starts to creep up the side. Flip and cook for another minute or so.
Potcake
AG
You should consider snapper and shrimp for ceviche and tuna for crudo or sashimi. Oysters fir chargrilling. FTR, swordfish is high in mercury.
htxag09
AG
I'd recommend downloading the Monterey bay aquarium seafood watch app or visiting their website.

It'll pinpoint what to look for in fish (just because it's a fish market on the coast doesn't mean they are fresh, fyi). It'll also ID what type of wild caught fish from specific areas you should look for for sustainability reasons.
BMX Bandit
for that area, grouper & snapper would be my go-to fish daily
Duncan Idaho
Potcake said:

You should consider snapper and shrimp for ceviche and tuna for crudo or sashimi. Oysters fir chargrilling. FTR, swordfish is high in mercury.

Wasting oysters by cooking them
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I love a raw oyster but chargrilled are amazing
Tumble Weed
When I get serious about fish I don't buy a filet, I buy the entire fish.

I cook it with the bones in and skin on. The moisture content and flavor changes dramatically.

Snapper of any type is my favorite, but my wife likes the redfish the best. Flounder is wonderful as well.

Buy the entire redfish or snapper or flounder and season it lightly. Wrap the entire piece in foil, sealing it around the top like a tent and bake or grill.

I usually stick to Italian or Greek style recipes. These people have been cooking fish for a long time and know what seasonings pair well.

Ornlu
AG
What do you do if that's a 36 pound grouper tho? I'm all for whole fish if its a snapper or flounder but I'm not cooking a 20+ pound fish whole.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Chargrilled oysters are one of my favorites things to eat.
Tumble Weed
Ornlu said:

What do you do if that's a 36 pound grouper tho? I'm all for whole fish if its a snapper or flounder but I'm not cooking a 20+ pound fish whole.
Congrats on catching a 36 pounder.

I figured that someone would make a comment about cooking a 600 lb tuna whole, because well, this is texags.

Next up, reverse searing a swordfish with a flame thrower.....

nai06
AG
If you can find them, try some Royal Red shrimp. They are deep water shrimp and far more delicate than your average gulf shrimp. They cook really fast too so ask the market for suggestions. I typically cook them scampi style and only for a few minutes. If done right they are awesome. Its like a cross between a shrimp and a lobster.
Duncan Idaho
Keeper of The Spirits said:

There might be good ones (read understated) out there but Every chargrilled oyster I've ever been served has had so much cheese, butter and garlic piled on top that you could have used a piece of tofu and they would have tasted just as good.
bigboykin
AG
This one is kinda in my wheelhouse. I lived in the Destin area for about 12 years before moving back to TX last year.

One little anecdote, since I didn't see it mentioned... I brought home a mixed bag from fishing one day and decided to do a taste test with my family. I lightly seasoned gag grouper, red snapper, triggerfish, and a lionfish with salt & pepper, grilled over hardwood lump, squeezed with a dash of lemon and had a blind taste test. Everyone in my family (including me; although I wasn't blind) chose the lionfish as the best fish out of the bunch. All that to say, don't sleep on it if you find it. Whole Foods carries them whole in Destin, but not sure about where to find in Pcola.

Trigger is definitely one of our favorites, and not exceedingly common outside of coastal areas. It has a bit of that delicate sweetness and maybe even hint of iodine that shellfish have, since that is their primary diet. Their skin is tougher than leather, so obviously you want clean fillets. The flavors are mild enough that you'll want to grill, pan sautee, en papillote, etc. rather than breading and frying, blackening, or other methods that would mask the unique flavor.

My 10 yr old son's absolute favorite is snapper. With the big one's, we usually skin them. Frankly this is mostly due to storage. When you store fish with fishy parts (skin, bones, guts) they will take on an intense fishiness that is very off-putting to most. So, I'd skin the big ones, portion the fillets, vac seal, and freeze. However, for smaller ones or especially for smaller snapper species (mingo/vermillion, gray/mangrove, lane, and the like) I love to just gut and scale them whole, stuff the belly with citrus and herbs (limes and cilantro is an obvious choice, lemon and bay, orange and tarragon) lightly coat in olive oil, salt and pepper, and grill.

I actually worked at a restaurant in Destin (no longer in operation) that didn't bother to buy mahi. They bought amberjack (because it was cheaper) and sold it as both. In two summers working there with lines out the door every night, I never had one person complain or notice the difference. Again, a bit of a long way to get to the fact that these are both very mild, white, firm fish without a lot of inherent flavor. Very tasty fish, and AJ and mahi are my wife and mom's favorite fish, respectively, but they are just more mild and don't bring a lot of flavor to the table of their own. They stand up well to all cooking methods and are good carrying vessels for flavor for techniques like blackening and you won't be masking any real nuanced deliciousness.

Grouper is probably my favorite of the more common species, and my favorite way to cook lately has been to do a nut crust. Basically vac pack and sous vide up to temp. Dry thoroughly, then coat one side in a 2:1 mixture of mayo and good stone ground mustard, liberally coat the mayo/mustard side with toasted nuts (pecans, pistachio, almonds all tested and delicious) and pop under a broiler just to firm up the coating and continue to toast the nuts (don't burn though).

Wahoo is my absolute favorite fish, but I have no doubt that my opinion is at least somewhat influenced by the fact that this is my favorite fish to catch. It's a unique meat that definitely does carry flavor of its own. I feel like it's more of a cross between a red meated fish like tuna, an oily fish like mackerel, and a firm steaky fish like swordfish. I just love it, and my favorite way to prepare is with a milder jerk-style dry rub grilled to medium rare.

One more sorta insider tip... look for rock shrimp in the summer/early fall. They're basically regarded as by-catch by most of the local shrimpers, so they are dirt cheap. I used to pay $1-2/lbs at my favorite local market. They are a huge pain in the ass to clean, and the waste to meat ratio is pretty ridiculous, but these little suckers are delectable. They taste closer to lobster than a shrimp. And that was my go-to way to cook them. Just lightly sauteed in butter and then tossed in a light mayo dressing with celery, green onion, Old Bay, and put into buttered, toasted buns like a lobster roll. Also outstanding in pasta dishes.

TL;DR: Pretty much all FL gulf coast seafood is delicious; enjoy!
ORAggieFan
Sous vide is perfect for fish.
bigtruckguy3500
When y'all grill the whole fish directly, do you do the scaled fish? Or does it not matter? And do you do most of the seasoning after it has cooked? Because I don't see how the flavor would really get into it through the skin, unless you coat the inside with seasoning.

Also, looks like I need to get myself a small grill.
bigboykin
AG
Yeah, you'll want to scale them or have the fish monger do it for snapper or grouper. I just use the back side of a knife. A good size snapper has scales like fingernails, so definitely not something you'd want to eat. You don't have to scale fish like Spanish mackerel or pompano. Ask the fish monger about the specific fish you buy.

Definitely season the inside of the gut cavity and the outside on both sides. It's enough to have seasoning on the surfaces. Think about a steak, you don't season the inside of the meat, typically, it's all about a flavorful crust. If you feel like it, or if it's a bigger fish, you can score the filet on each side a few times before seasoning and that will get a little more seasoning into the meat and also help it cook more evenly. Like this.

On grills, if you want to go gas for ease/quickness, you really can't go wrong with a Weber Q series. I had one all 12 years in FL's salt air and it's still in great shape and in regular action on my back porch here. I retired multiple other grills that succumbed to the salt air rust during that time. The portability is awesome too, it's been on many a campout, tailgate, and picnic in it's day. In any case, check Walmart. This is the time of year they start clearing out all their grills to make room for Christmas stuff and you can get a great deal. I got a Weber kettle half off last year, and practically stole a second Q1200 for $25 (retails ~$200).
BrazosBull
AG
Storm wArning to OP .... get out if there and find safety !!!
bigtruckguy3500
Thanks. But I can't leave unless the Navy says I can. Should get word tomorrow sometime on what to do. Maybe if the storm surge gets close I can just fish out of my window?
Allen76
AG
I am also someone with a very limited knowledge of cooking seafood. I like to watch the show "Fish the Dish" just because I usually learn something from it.

You can also google "Fish the Dish".
Snowball
AG
A while ago, I had the opportunity to head down near Costa Rica. The seafood flora and fauna there could be compared to Florida's Gulf Selections. Atlantic might fit your palate better, but I digress. Anyway, down on Isla Nublar, there was a new park development opening there and they were letting us sample some of the dishes catered for the park. The owner had an amazing culinary team on site there that was headed by Chef Alejandro (wish i could remember his last name.)

Anyway, the visit was terrible and will never visit again (Long story), but the Chilean Seabass we ate was fantastic. Recipe below.

Serves 4
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 3 shallots, minced
  • 4 sprigs thyme
  • cup chopped red bell peppers
  • 4 tbsp white wine
  • cup chicken stock
  • 2-3 tbsp cream
  • salt and pepper
  • 15 oz chilean sea bass steak or 4 fillets/4oz each
  • all purpose flour, for dusting
  • 1 bunch green beans, cleaned
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp honey

INSTRUCTIONS
[ol]
  • Shred peeled carrots with a shredder or with a knife. You can easily do this by first peeling the carrots with a peeler, stack, and then slice it thinly with your knife. Toss with lemon juice, olive oil, and honey. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. For more acid, feel free to add 1 tbsp of dijon mustard.
  • In a sauce pan, add your oil, butter, thyme, and shallots on medium heat. Saute until soft and then add chopped peppers. Cook for 5 minutes and then add the white wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock. Cook for another 3-5 minutes on medium high heat and add cream to finish. Season with salt and pepper. Take out the stalk of the thyme out and set aside.
  • Bring a pot of water to a boil. Blanch your green beans for a 3-4 minutes until tender. Shock in ice bath to stop the cooking. Drain and season. Set aside.
  • Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Season the sea bass with salt and pepper. Lightly dust with all purpose flour. Once the pan is hot, carefully lay it down in the hot pan. Depending on the thickness of your fish, the time will vary. Turn the fish after cooking it for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. The fish should be golden and firm to the touch. Let it rest before slicing it.
  • Arrange the sauce on the bottom of the plate with the fish and beans beautifully layered on top. Finish with the carrot salad. A great substitute would be some fried sweet potatoes.
  • [/ol]
    Pic below from the meal prepared by Chef Alejandro
    Ag_07
    AG
    Looks awesome!!!

I would imagine it spared no expense.
    Bruce Almighty
    AG
    I'm having a case of deja vu.
    Ornlu
    AG
    I'm having a case of deja vu.
    Tecolote
    AG
    Snowball said:

A while ago, I had the opportunity to head down near Costa Rica. The seafood flora and fauna there could be compared to Florida's Gulf Selections. Atlantic might fit your palate better, but I digress. Anyway, down on Isla Nublar, there was a new park development opening there and they were letting us sample some of the dishes catered for the park. The owner had an amazing culinary team on site there that was headed by Chef Alejandro (wish i could remember his last name.)

Anyway, the visit was terrible and will never visit again (Long story), but the Chilean Seabass we ate was fantastic. Recipe below.

Serves 4
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • 3 tbsp unsalted butter
    • 3 shallots, minced
    • 4 sprigs thyme
    • cup chopped red bell peppers
    • 4 tbsp white wine
    • cup chicken stock
    • 2-3 tbsp cream
    • salt and pepper
    • 15 oz chilean sea bass steak or 4 fillets/4oz each
    • all purpose flour, for dusting
    • 1 bunch green beans, cleaned
    • 2 medium carrots, peeled
    • 1 tbsp lemon juice
    • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 tbsp honey

INSTRUCTIONS
    [ol]
  • Shred peeled carrots with a shredder or with a knife. You can easily do this by first peeling the carrots with a peeler, stack, and then slice it thinly with your knife. Toss with lemon juice, olive oil, and honey. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. For more acid, feel free to add 1 tbsp of dijon mustard.
  • In a sauce pan, add your oil, butter, thyme, and shallots on medium heat. Saute until soft and then add chopped peppers. Cook for 5 minutes and then add the white wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock. Cook for another 3-5 minutes on medium high heat and add cream to finish. Season with salt and pepper. Take out the stalk of the thyme out and set aside.
  • Bring a pot of water to a boil. Blanch your green beans for a 3-4 minutes until tender. Shock in ice bath to stop the cooking. Drain and season. Set aside.
  • Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Season the sea bass with salt and pepper. Lightly dust with all purpose flour. Once the pan is hot, carefully lay it down in the hot pan. Depending on the thickness of your fish, the time will vary. Turn the fish after cooking it for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. The fish should be golden and firm to the touch. Let it rest before slicing it.
  • Arrange the sauce on the bottom of the plate with the fish and beans beautifully layered on top. Finish with the carrot salad. A great substitute would be some fried sweet potatoes.
  • [/ol]
    Pic below from the meal prepared by Chef Alejandro

Chilean sea bass is not fished off Costa Rica or anywhere in the gulf coast. That dish looks delicious but it's imported fish.
    Snowball
    AG
    I don't think you're giving Chef Alejandro his due credit. His team has done things which nobody's ever done before.

If he were able to create a school of Chilean Sea Bass on the island, you wouldn't have anything to say.
    Bruce Almighty
    AG
    Snowball said:

I don't think you're giving Chef Alejandro his due credit. His team has done things which nobody's ever done before.

If he were able to create a school of Chilean Sea Bass on the island, you wouldn't have anything to say.
    He doesn't get it.
    biobioprof
    IIRC eating lionfish is also good because they're an invasive species.

But hope they were already prepped because they have poisonous spines.
    bigboykin
    AG
    Absolutely. They are an invasive species in the gulf, native to the Indo-Pacific. Due to the aforementioned venomous spines, they lack natural predators in the Gulf, so they are a serious ecological threat. They're pretty voracious predators especially of the young of native reef species.

There have been several groups promoting them as a food species in order to help increase demand and control population, but I don't think it's really gained a ton of traction. I've seen it in restaurants here and there, but it's not super common.

I'm sure the ones at Whole Foods had spines removed. Ours we're caught whole while targeting other species, but the spines are easy to clip with surgical shears or wire cutters. Then you can just filet normally.
    Ogre09
    AG
    My favorite prep method is to season (seasoning salt, salt and pepper, Tony's, or Greek seasoning), dust Very lightly in flour, then pan fry in olive oil or butter (just a couple tbsp). Once the fish is done, deglaze the pan with white wine and lemon juice and reduce for a quick pan sauce.

And don't freeze your fish. It ruins the texture.
    Snowball
    AG
    This recipe really wasn't worth the trouble after the weekend at Isla Nublar
    BusterAg
    AG
    Flounder make excellent breakfast. Dredge in panko, pan sear with some type of oil, serve with an over easy fried egg on top. Lemon juice and even capers will make it even better. Light amount of salt. So tasty.

For snapper, I prefer to grill the smaller ones on the half shell. If you have a good grill with a lid and the filets are around a pound, there is no reason to flip. Serve with the skin on.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.