Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Baking klobasnek

4,614 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bocephus
Demosthenes81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have a grand kiddos birthday party coming up and I was asked to make my klobasnek. I dusted off an old recipe from a family Czech cookbook (below). For simplicity I used Eckrich's sausage spice up a bit with garlic and pepper. Three 2-packs of sausage is enough for 4 dozen. I decided to do smoked sausage, sausage with cheddar and my favorite, four pepper sausage. Everything looking good so far.

Recipe:

Sausage:

Finished
FlyFish95
So...you didn't use a little smokey?
FIDO*98*
AG
Eckrich? Might as well just go ahead and say you made Kolache
JSKolache
AG
Thumbs Up
GAC06
AG
I'll look up my traditional chicken fajita kolache recipe when I get home
Demosthenes81
AG
GAC06 said:

I'll look up my traditional chicken fajita kolache recipe when I get home

I've done pulled pork. Sounds good
Jock 07
AG
Those look like some pretty damn good kolaches, I'd throw some cheese and jalapeos in there and make them truly authentic kolaches.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Maybe put some chili with beans I'm there
Demosthenes81
AG
Too many delicate palletes. Have to draw the line
Demosthenes81
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Maybe put some chili with beans I'm there

Not a bad idea, except for the beans.
rhoswen
AG
Thanks for sharing! I'll try this this summer.
chipotle
If you do a brisket kolachi does it go fat side down?
Demosthenes81
AG
chipotle said:

Since the best part of a klobanek is the fat that gets absorbed in the dough I would recommend fat side up so it can come into more dough contact.
FtBendTxAg
AG
You definitely made a kolache
schmellba99
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Glad this was among the first posts. All that time and effort into maming sure the "correct" term was used, just to cheap out and use about the shttiest sausage one can find.

I can only assume the OP lives in Maine or some other remote yankee territory.
FarmerJohn
AG
It's a kids birthday. If these are like my niece and nephew, they would rather the most processed hot dog and atomic yellow mustard than anything else. God forbid you put something in front of them where you might be able to identify the part of the animal it came from. At least they might accidentally run into some culture with these. The only disappointment is I can't see the image of the recipe on the OP.

I guess the other option is to adopt the attitude from the Bernie Mac Show. "Children are terrorists and we do not negotiate with terrorists."
keysercade
AG
The recipe even uses kolache...
bonfirewillburn
AG
FIDO*98*
AG
keysercade said:

The recipe even uses kolache...

Head over to the Czech Republic and ask around for a Klobasnek. You will quickly find out how stupid this debate is. When you get tired of looking for a Klobasnek sit down and have a Kolach. The stupidity factor goes up again
Otto 08
AG
That's probably because Klobasnek is term that was made by Czech settlers in Texas...
SACR
AG

No crumb shot?

I feel cheated.
---------------------------------------------------
"Now you're suggesting uncleanliness during a viral outbreak? What other great ideas you got Typhoid Mary[?]"

jamey, 3/13/20

-------------------------------------------------

"They log into each other's accounts and post. They probably are two different people but that doesn't matter much when you log into other peoples accounts."
SACR
AG
schmellba99 said:

FIDO*98* said:

Glad this was among the first posts. All that time and effort into maming sure the "correct" term was used, just to cheap out and use about the shttiest sausage one can find.

What brand sausage do you recommend?
"Now you're suggesting uncleanliness during a viral outbreak? What other great ideas you got Typhoid Mary[?]"

jamey, 3/13/20

"They log into each other's accounts and post. They probably are two different people but that doesn't matter much when you log into other peoples accounts."
AustinCountyAg
Slovacek (texags).......

In all seriousness Bellville MM chipotle would be damn good in a kolache. Nice sweet kick to go along with the sweetness of the bread
SACR
AG
Per wiki, the difference between klobasnek and kolache is that klobasnek has a meat filling (typically sausage of some time), while kolaches usually have a fruit filling.

Seems pretty ridiculous to argue over the semantics of it when people know what you mean when you say kolache.

jamey, 3/13/20

Tree Hugger
AG
I made sure to save the recipe in the OP. I've only tried making my own once before and I used a recipe from a cookbook I had where it was labeled as "kolacky dough." I'm guessing that's a mispronunciation of kolache from somewhere in Ohio, it sounds like something someone from Cleveland would say.
ILikeTacos
AG
I am going to try the Kolache dough recipe in this post and pair it with some smoked Slovacek garlic cheddar sausage I will whip up this weekend for a sunday breakfast. Will report back.
SACR
AG
Tree Hugger said:

I made sure to save the recipe in the OP. I've only tried making my own once before and I used a recipe from a cookbook I had where it was labeled as "kolacky dough." I'm guessing that's a mispronunciation of kolache from somewhere in Ohio, it sounds like something someone from Cleveland would say.
With the exception of the shortening, the recipe like any basic bread rolls recipe out there today.

To me this recipe is basically, "make dough for dinner rolls, put sausage filling inside, then bake".

jamey, 3/13/20

schmellba99
AG
SACR said:

schmellba99 said:

FIDO*98* said:

What brand sausage do you recommend?
Assuming you are talking about production brands:

Holmes
Slovaceck
Chappel Hill
Kiolbassa
HEB House brand
Zummo's
Opa's

All are easily found at most HEB's, all are about a million times better than Eckrich garbage.

If you have a meat market close by, try out their house made. They will be hit and miss for sure though. Some regional brands are better than pretty much anything you'll find in most places - Prasek's is one of them. I imagine other areas have similar places that are just as good (well, maybe not but you get the idea).
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Enough with the food snobs, what is this "four pepper sausage" you speak of? One cannot get enough pepper, in my humble opinion.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Otto 08 said:

That's probably because Klobasnek is term that was made by Czech settlers in Texas...
nobody has ever accused the czech's of being smart...
AggieOO
Nothing like the food board to **** all over someone's well-intentioned post. Bravo food board hispters.
SACR
AG

jamey, 3/13/20

HtownAg92
AG
chipotle said:

For those who have made brisket kolaches, how long did you boil the brisket in Dr. Pepper before putting it in the crock pot? Want to do it right.
TXAG 05
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

Otto 08 said:

No, but at least we aren't a bunch of Polacks.
Jock 07
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

FtBendTxAg said:

Otto 08 said:

No, but at least we aren't a bunch of Polacks.

What's the difference?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.