Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Help me like IPAs?

4,074 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The_Waco_Kid
JSKolache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just try more. There were some great IPAs around 5 yrs ago, then every neckbeard in America decided to give it a shot & many of the new ones taste & smell like oversweetened pine sol.

It's really just about finding your personal preference among a billion choices. Like the folks above who love Yellow Rose - I loathe that stuff. Don't like it at all.
RGV AG
AG
Boss, is that really true about cilantro? The genetic part? I grew up in Mexico and since I can remember I can only handle a small amount of cilantro, everyone in my family loves it, growing up my mom and dad used it extensively. My wife and daughter eat the piss out it, but I can only deal with a few leaves.

And I eat just about anything and everything, but cilantro is not something I like or enjoy. Oh, and I can't stand IPA's.
jgh85Ag
AG
Yep it is true. My sister says it tastes like soap. My dad said the same thing.
FlyFish95
There are two types of IPAs drinkers, people who like them and people who force themselves to drink that bottled Pine Sol because they want to appear sophisticated.

Here's a tip, if you don't like it, don't drink it. No one will think less of you.
RGV AG
AG
jgh85Ag said:

Yep it is true. My sister says it tastes like soap. My dad said the same thing.
That is what it tastes like to me. I can just handle a little bit. Everyone in my family thought I was a heretic.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Since you are in Katy, try going to Spindletap or B-52 when they do a big can release. Spindletap's Houston Haze and Juiceton are really good and most of my non-IPA friends like them. Same with B-52's Wheeze the Juice. They are all New England Style IPAs and, I hate to admit it, but are probably the best IPA reps in Texas right now for the style.

If you are ever in the Mid-Cities in the Metroplex, let me know and I'll buy you a beer at Turning Point.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
biobioprof
RGV AG said:

Boss, is that really true about cilantro? The genetic part? I grew up in Mexico and since I can remember I can only handle a small amount of cilantro, everyone in my family loves it, growing up my mom and dad used it extensively. My wife and daughter eat the piss out it, but I can only deal with a few leaves.

And I eat just about anything and everything, but cilantro is not something I like or enjoy. Oh, and I can't stand IPA's.
not just cilantro

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3714112/
SoTxAg
AG
Another vote for you to try Yellow Rose. I know plenty of folks who claim to dislike ipas but they will drink a Yellow Rose.

On another note, hops are evolving with more hybrids and such being created in the past several years. This means the typical ipa is also evolving, so give some of the new stuff being put out by craft brewers a try. I live in SA and brewers like Weathered Souls and Ghost Pixel (Freetail) are putting out great beers.
62strat
AG
I just had a yellow rose last night... it is a bit different, can't quite pinpoint it. My parents live down the street from it and I still haven't been there!
drred4
I personally do not care for IPA's, I can drink a few but have not tried a lot. But,,, the colder they are the better they are for me. So try them Ice cold
The_Waco_Kid
AG
Can't stand IPAs, and I think I've had hundreds of them over the course of the last decade at every kind of beer snob/hipster/neckbeard function you can think of. At the end of the day, you can tell a good one from bad. Most are pretty bad. And then I just go back home and relax with a big, dark, thick stout with some bourbon.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.