Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What's your favorite non-traditional grilling/smoked foods?

5,509 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jtp01
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Might have been mentioned but peaches are great on the grill.
Tanya 93
Avocado
JimmyHouston
AG
Redfish fillets on a white hot cast iron over the BGE that I blacken and use for fish tacos
OregonAggie
AG
Smoked Spam. For real.

Take a pound or two of bacon, tie with cooking twine, and smoke it. You can add it to anything you want for the next few days or just eat it. I've added it to mashed potatoes and Mac and cheese with good results.

Mollejas...count me out on that. I have some buddies that love it but it damn near made me puke.

schmendeler
AG
OregonAggie said:

Smoked Spam. For real.

Take a pound or two of bacon, tie with cooking twine, and smoke it. You can add it to anything you want for the next few days or just eat it. I've added it to mashed potatoes and Mac and cheese with good results.

Mollejas...count me out on that. I have some buddies that love it but it damn near made me puke.

smoke bacon that has already been smoked?
OregonAggie
AG
Affirmative. It's smoked but it isn't cooked. I get it up to temp then use it in other recipes. We did stuffed burgers with it as well.
schmendeler
AG
OregonAggie said:

Affirmative. It's smoked but it isn't cooked. I get it up to temp then use it in other recipes. We did stuffed burgers with it as well.
i see. you should make your own bacon...
OregonAggie
AG
I haven't done this yet but it's on the horizon!
schmendeler
AG
OregonAggie said:

I haven't done this yet but it's on the horizon!

It's kind of ridiculously easy. The hardest part is getting nice pretty slices.
lazuras_dc
AG
Smoked a rib roast the other week, it was legit
bigboykin
AG
Not super-novel, but these have become my go-to appetizer lately. Jalapenos stuffed with cream/cheddar cheese (and sometimes shredded leftover smoked chicken/pulled pork), covered in ground sausage, wrapped in bacon, and smoked. Couple coats of BBQ sauce glaze at the end.

Sliced Clown Bread
AG
Duck breast.
I like to slow smoke eggplant and make a smoked baba ghanoush. Or smoke king mackeral or commercially available whitefish and make a smoked fish spread.

In a vacation scenario, I can subsist for days on one of the above and a few bottles of wine.
07ag
AG
tried to bake cookies on the grill once, i thought they were ok, but the wife did not
MrPlow2010
AG
I've heard smoked Cheese-Its are good. I haven't tried it yet
Tailgate88
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I've thought of a couple more.
Eye of round roast cooked medium rare and sliced paper thin. Go easy on the smoke and cook it slowly.
Venison backstrap cooked to the rare side of medium rare.
Grilled corn to make elotes.
Jet Tila's Thai Grilled Chicken.
The jerk chicken from the OB.

Oooh I'm going to try that! Looks delish.

https://www.today.com/recipes/thai-bbq-chicken-recipe-t113049
DTP02
AG
I have been smoking and then grilling new potatoes with garlic and onions recently as a side. They are a big hit and make great breakfast taco fixings with eggs and/or bacon the next day.

But the last batch I tried I got a little distracted and smoked too long and they were barely edible (I thought they were inedible, but some ate them).
jtp01
AG
I like to do a spinich, cream cheese, jalapeo stuffed, bacon wrapped pork loin smoked on the pit.

I've won several "open category" cook offs with that recipe.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.