Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best way to Prepare Chilean Sea Bass and sides

4,633 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jaypunkrawk
Strategy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wifey and Mother in law requested for Mothers Day lunch. Nred help!
BQ92
AG
A friend did it in a paper bag in the dishwasher. It was amazing
FIDO*98*
AG
I liked to keep it simple by searing and then pan roasting. I prefer Avocado oil for the sear and you'll want to baste it in the oven once or twice. Serve it with a lemon burre blanc.

Belton Ag
AG
BQ92 said:

In a paper bag?
Strategy
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I liked to keep it simple by searing and then pan roasting. I prefer Avocado oil for the sear and you'll want to baste it in the oven once or twice. Serve it with a lemon burre blanc.

Thank you sir!!
Strategy
AG
BQ92 said:

Sounds like you are intimately famliar with the process.
HTownAg98
You are free to make your own ethical decisions about this, but I would suggest you switch to a different fish. Depending on who you listen to, this particular fishery is overfished, and if we don't stop eating them, there won't be any left in the very near future. Alaskan halibut is a good alternative.
BMX Bandit
HTownAg98 said:

You are free to make your own ethical decisions about this, but I would suggest you switch to a different fish. Depending on who you listen to, this particular fishery is overfished, and if we don't stop eating them, there won't be any left in the very near future. Alaskan halibut is a good alternative.
Better eat them now because they will be all gone soon!
Bruce Almighty
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Great advice. Piss off the wife and mother in law at the same time.
HTownAg98
"Sorry, the sea bass they had didn't look good at all, so we're having halibut instead."

"Dang, the store was out of sea bass."

If that won't work, do what Fido said.
FIDO*98*
AG
I actually had something similar to your response typed out on my original reply, but, decided to let it go and play nice for a change.

Long before I went plant based, I let go of Patagonian Toothfish.
Bruce Almighty
AG
It's like logging on the food board takes away your sense of humor.
SJEAg
AG
Definitely Rum Raisin ice cream for dessert.

BQ92
AG
RebelgentlemenE2 said:

BQ92 said:

Sounds like you are intimately famliar with the process.

I was on the eating end not the cooking end that day.
Snowball
AG
A while ago, I had the opportunity to head down near Costa Rica to Isla Nublar. There was a new development opening there.

The owner had an amazing culinary team on site there that was headed by Chef Alejandro (wish i could remember his last name.)

Anyway, the visit was terrible and will never visit again (Long story), but the Chilean Seabass we ate was fantastic. Recipe below.

Serves 4
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 3 shallots, minced
  • 4 sprigs thyme
  • cup chopped red bell peppers
  • 4 tbsp white wine
  • cup chicken stock
  • 2-3 tbsp cream
  • salt and pepper
  • 15 oz chilean sea bass steak or 4 fillets/4oz each
  • all purpose flour, for dusting
  • 1 bunch green beans, cleaned
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp honey

INSTRUCTIONS
[ol]
  • Shred peeled carrots with a shredder or with a knife. You can easily do this by first peeling the carrots with a peeler, stack, and then slice it thinly with your knife. Toss with lemon juice, olive oil, and honey. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. For more acid, feel free to add 1 tbsp of dijon mustard.
  • In a sauce pan, add your oil, butter, thyme, and shallots on medium heat. Saute until soft and then add chopped peppers. Cook for 5 minutes and then add the white wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock. Cook for another 3-5 minutes on medium high heat and add cream to finish. Season with salt and pepper. Take out the stalk of the thyme out and set aside.
  • Bring a pot of water to a boil. Blanch your green beans for a 3-4 minutes until tender. Shock in ice bath to stop the cooking. Drain and season. Set aside.
  • Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Season the sea bass with salt and pepper. Lightly dust with all purpose flour. Once the pan is hot, carefully lay it down in the hot pan. Depending on the thickness of your fish, the time will vary. Turn the fish after cooking it for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. The fish should be golden and firm to the touch. Let it rest before slicing it.
  • Arrange the sauce on the bottom of the plate with the fish and beans beautifully layered on top. Finish with the carrot salad. A great substitute would be some fried sweet potatoes.
  • [/ol]
    Pic below from the meal prepared by Chef Alejandro
    HouseDivided06
    AG
    Asparagus. Great reference.
    Bruce Almighty
    AG
    I heard that chef also makes a killer goat shank.
    NColoradoAG
    Snowball said:

A while ago, I had the opportunity to head down near Costa Rica to Isla Nublar. There was a new development opening there.

The owner had an amazing culinary team on site there that was headed by Chef Alejandro (wish i could remember his last name.)

Anyway, the visit was terrible and will never visit again (Long story), but the Chilean Seabass we ate was fantastic. Recipe below.

Serves 4
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • 3 tbsp unsalted butter
    • 3 shallots, minced
    • 4 sprigs thyme
    • 4 tbsp white wine
    • cup chicken stock
    • 2-3 tbsp cream
    • salt and pepper
    • 1 tbsp lemon juice
    • 1 tbsp honey

INSTRUCTIONS
    [ol]
  • Shred peeled carrots with a shredder or with a knife. You can easily do this by first peeling the carrots with a peeler, stack, and then slice it thinly with your knife. Toss with lemon juice, olive oil, and honey. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. For more acid, feel free to add 1 tbsp of dijon mustard.
  • In a sauce pan, add your oil, butter, thyme, and shallots on medium heat. Saute until soft and then add chopped peppers. Cook for 5 minutes and then add the white wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock. Cook for another 3-5 minutes on medium high heat and add cream to finish. Season with salt and pepper. Take out the stalk of the thyme out and set aside.
  • Bring a pot of water to a boil. Blanch your green beans for a 3-4 minutes until tender. Shock in ice bath to stop the cooking. Drain and season. Set aside.
  • Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Season the sea bass with salt and pepper. Lightly dust with all purpose flour. Once the pan is hot, carefully lay it down in the hot pan. Depending on the thickness of your fish, the time will vary. Turn the fish after cooking it for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. The fish should be golden and firm to the touch. Let it rest before slicing it.
  • Arrange the sauce on the bottom of the plate with the fish and beans beautifully layered on top. Finish with the carrot salad. A great substitute would be some fried sweet potatoes.
  • [/ol]

Looks like they spared no expense
    The Milkman
    AG
    BMX Bandit said:

HTownAg98 said:

Better eat them now because they will be all gone soon!
    "The tragedy of the commons." People will use a public resource until its gone. Individual benefits vs group benefits. If you dont use it someone else will
    Snowball
    AG

Furlock Bones
    AG
    FIDO*98* said:

I actually had something similar to your response typed out on my original reply, but, decided to let it go and play nice for a change.

are you saying you are vegetarian now?
    FIDO*98*
    AG
    Not quite. I still eat fish/seafood about 1-2 times/week, but, other than that no meat or dairy. I've dropped 35lbs and feel like I'm in my 20s again.
    Forum Troll
    AG
    NColoradoAG said:

Snowball said:

Serves 4
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • 3 tbsp unsalted butter
    • 3 shallots, minced
    • 4 sprigs thyme
    • 4 tbsp white wine
    • cup chicken stock
    • 2-3 tbsp cream
    • salt and pepper
    • 1 tbsp lemon juice
    • 1 tbsp honey

INSTRUCTIONS
    [ol]
  • [/ol]

Looks like they spared no expense
    Why does this post only have 2 blue stars?
    The Milkman
    AG
    Because I dont have the ability to give it 100
    Snowball
    Snowball
    AG
    Went back and tried the recipe again, it was great.
    Burn-It
    AG
    Gonna try this w/some fresh turbo.
    AKA 13-0
    jaypunkrawk
    AG
    FIDO*98* said:

I'm glad someone already mentioned the creature's real name. I'd love to see a restaurant put that on their specials board.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.