Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Fish Suggestions

4,987 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by investorAg83
Zemira
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I'm trying to be healthier and eat different types of food. One of the things I am not regularly eating is fish. I didn't really like fish in my youth for whatever reason so that has clouded my thinking. I enjoy shellfish but never been big on actual fish. I am looking for fish I can purchase at HEB (or another grocery store) that I can easily prepare in a healthy manner.

I know have enjoyed trout at restaurants but is it easy to fix at home? I really don't know how to cook fish.

Help!
Arctic Ag
AG
I have honestly never bought fish from a store before, so no help for you there. All the fish I cook have been caught by myself and or family. That is fun in itself, but go to the OB for help on that.

Anyways, FISH.....

When selecting it....smell it. If it smells of a strong fish odor...don't buy it. It's old and not going to be good.

To start, try something that's inexpensive, easy, and mild in flavor. Something like tilapia should do. Mild flavored fish will taste like whatever you put on it.

Trout is not tricky to cook. But it is very delicate and flaky, which limits your cooking options. Use some method that doesn't require moving it around in a pan much.

Easy and tasty recipe

Onion slices, slices of citrus fruit (lemon or lime are my favorites), butter or olive oil, lemon pepper seasoning, and foil.
- take foil and lay it over counter. Make foil at least twice as long as fillet
-spread olive oil or butter on one half
-place enough onion slices on oiled foil to ensure fish does not contact the foil on bottom
-place citrus slices over onions in same manner
-put fish over the layers and season to taste
-take the foil and wrap the fish, and make sure that you seal the edges to keep juices in
-bake at 350 till fish is done (~20-30 minutes). Can be done over camp fire as well
Serve with rice and veggies
Spore Ag
You can try a sole or a halibut. I put a perforated pizza foil over a skillet with water. Lemon salt and steam it. Very nice.
rhoswen
AG
I could have written the OP. I still won't crave it or anything, but salmon & cod are my favorites. Asian or fruity salmon, fried cod (or oven "fried") with some sort of veggie side.
TXAG 05
AG
HEB usually carrries frozen tuna steaks and they are pretty good. Just olive oil and some salt and pepper, dear each side for a little bit and you're good to go.
FIDO*98*
AG
Just go primarily Plant Based if not altogether Vegan.
BlueSmoke
A great staple of mine for salmon are filets soaked in low-sodium soy, covered in brown sugar, on a cedar plank. Place directly over fire, soak planks, but they will start to smolder some. Brown sugar will run off and create a nice textured "glaze" over the fish and give it this smoky/sweet/salty flavor profile. You can also do this in the oven, but put foil down as the sugar might make a mess if it runs off the planks.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
BEaggie08
AG
Fresh Cod is a great fish to start. It's mild and has big flakes. I find it visually appealing. Mahi Mahi is also a good mild starter. I like to use strips of Mahi with a light coating of Panko for fish tacos.

Tilapia isn't a bad suggestion for it's mildness and price.

Whenever possible I'd recommend buying wild caught vs farm raised.
The Milkman
AG
Salmon is about a once a week go to for me now. You can find a really nice pieces for about $7 per pound and they cook so easily. I use the HEB Latin and Lime rub, olive oil, and lemon juice. Depending on how big and thick it is I'll put it in the over at 400 for 15 minutes +- a couple. I like to finish it with the broiler for 2 minutes to get the top a little crunchier.
Zemira
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Fido I was asking about fish, not which diet I should follow. Thanks for the advice.
Zemira
AG
Thanks guys! I'll try some of your suggestions.

My goal is to eat fish twice a week.
NoahAg
Simple fish recipes are very easy and fast to cook. Sounds like you'd enjoy blackened tilapia. Just season and pan fry.
FIDO*98*
AG
Zemira said:

Fido I was asking about fish, not which diet I should follow. Thanks for the advice.

Your post said you don't care for fish and you're trying to be healthier. No point in forcing yourself to try to like something with debatable health benefits. My advice was spot on.

Want my advice on only fish then. Learn to catch your own or buy the frozen over the fish case fish. The fish in the case is typically pre-frozen and thawed and the fish labeled "fresh" has probably been dead for days. Snapper, Mahi, and Cod are your best bet at the store. Tilapia is ass and sure as hell isn't healthy
NColoradoAG
Colorado isn't exactly a seafood mecca, but we still manage to eat fish about twice a week in my house. I buy the frozen bags of wild caught fillets from Costco. They always have salmon, and then it seems to rotate between Cod, Halibut, Mahi Mahi, and Tuna. There's usually 8-9 fillets in bag.

There's a "favorite salmon recipe" on the board right now that's got a lot of good ideas. We like to make a basic spring mix salad with seared tuna, sliced carrots, avocado, and a ginger vinaigrette. I'll grill any white fish for tacos, or its also good done in pouches with onions, lemon, asparagus or green beans, carrots, butter and parsley.
Zemira
AG
I want to eat fish. I want the nutritional content of fish - Omega 3s, Vitamin D, and other vitamins and minerals.

I want to reduce my risk of stroke and heart disease. I want to reduce my inflammation and autoimmune disease.

I'm sorry but I'm not going vegan. I asked for help on fish.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
The fish cooked in foil posted by Arctic Ag is a great idea. You can vary the herbs/spices to suit your tastes. I cook chick breasts using this method as well adding potatoes, squash, asparagus or whatever I'm in the mood for.
Zemira
AG
Vegan isn't for me, I was asking about FISH.
Zemira
AG
Thanks I think I'm going to try this method first as it sounds easy.
toolshed
AG
While fish for me, in the past, was fried catfish (or other similar fish), I have just recently started eating more healthy versions of fish, but haven't branched out much yet.

But my wife found this recipe, and I really like it. The cod is a mild flavored fish, probably not a first choice for a fish connoisseur, but I like it. This sauce has great flavors that meld together well. My kids even eat it on occasion without much complaint.

https://bakerbynature.com/pan-seared-cod-in-white-wine-tomato-basil-sauce/

rhoswen
AG
Zemira, just ignore him. Just about everyone else does.
HTownAg98
Most of the flatfishes (sole, flounder, halibut) are going to be mild. They also take well to steaming, and there are a lot of Asian style preparations for steamed fish.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Adding a splash of white wine to the foil package is also pretty tasty.
FIDO*98*
AG
Zemira said:

Vegan isn't for me, I was asking about FISH.

Ignore me if you wish, however, I was just trying to clarify what your goal was.

My favorite recipe for Fish is Fido's Snapper IslaCruz. It's similar to VeraCruz, but, has more of a Tomato/Puttanesca feel to it. I invented this on North Padre thus the IslaCruz

Make the sauce first so it's ready to go on the Snapper

4 6-7 ounce Snapper filets.
Salt and pepper each step of the way
1/4 cup olive oil
5 cloves of garlic finely diced
1 Large Onion Frenched
1 Poblano or Bell pepper julienned
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 can cherry tomatoes
1/2 Cup Slices Spanish Queen olives
2 Tbls Capers
1 Tsp dried Mexican oregano
About an inch squirt of Anchovy paste (a few dashes of Fish Sauce would be fine too)
1 Tbls chipotle puree
1 Tbls Honey
Juice from 1lime

Start by sauteing the garlic, onion, and olive oil over medium heat until tender. About 8 minutes. Add in white wine and simmer until almost fully evaporated. Add remaining ingredients adjust salt and set to very low while you cook the Snapper

Brush Snapper with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill at hot temp until just finished

Plate Snapper and top with Sauce and finely chopped cilantro

I recommend serving with Arroz con Gandules and Grilled Zucchini

Rydyn
AG
Blackened. Heat Butter in a cast iron pan until it smokes. Then add fish covered in Tony's or just salt and pepper. Cool until crispy on the edges and done through. About five minutes per side.

Works for catfish and any freshwater filet.

Randall's has farm raised catfish for $5.99 lb pretty regularly.
No one is going to give you the education [power / freedom] that you need to overthrow them.
FIDO*98*
AG
Another Favorite is Fish Baked on a bed of Sauted Leeks and Fennel with sliced oranges. This could not be any more simple. The only other ingredients are olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Here it is served with Asparagus risotto

FIDO*98*
AG
Let's not forget Fish En Pappiote

Similar to Artic's Foil suggestion, this is about technique more than a recipe. You cut a sheet of parchment into a heart and then put all your ingredients in the packet to cook together. This looks like new potatoes, julienned veggies, Sea Bass, scallop, and Shrimp with lemon.

Everything goes right in the oven as is

Makes an elegant presentation. Note kiddie fork in the pic. Man, my kids ate good when they were young lol. Still do I suppose.

Bruce Almighty
AG
This crispy pan seared fish (I use halibut) is pretty damn good and very easy.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/the-easiest-crispy-pan-seared-fish-food-lab-recipe.html
Joe Exotic
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Worst advice on this board ever. I'd rather kids grow up to be drug addicts than vegans.
biobioprof
My problem with tilapia and similar fish for someone new to fish is that it can be pretty tasteless. For a lot of these kinds of fish, the best ways to make them tasty IMO - deep frying - may not fit the dietary goal. To my palate, pan-seared tilapia is very different from pan-seared sole. The tilapia is much cheaper, though.

Salmon is pretty easy to cook and more inherently flavorful for someone coming over from red meat. Tuna is too, but is even worse when overcooked than salmon.

That said, a variety of fish can be made into a very savory dish if you like asian food. Versions of this:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/02/chinese-steamed-whole-fish-new-year-recipe.html

can be made with filets instead of whole fish, and the other secret is that this kind of cooking works surprisingly well in a microwave.

wrt plant-based diets, just a reminder that fungi are not plants!
schmellba99
AG
Late to the party, but I tend to eat a lot of fish because A) I love it and B) I've grown up with it on the coast.

If you aren't looking for something with a strong flavor, you are going to want to go with some of the milder selections - usually white fish of some sort:

Cod, grouper, pollock, flounder, etc. - these are all very mild flavor and easy on the palate. Most of the time what is going to make or break them is the seasoning you choose and how you cook it.

Heavier on flavors and oils are going to be things like mahi, swordfish, shark, tuna, snapper, triple tail, wahoo, ling, etc. - these are typically the types that have more robust flavors and are heavier with natural oils.

I personally fall back on flounder, tuna and mahi - mostly because those are what you are going to find at most large grocery stores relatively easily.

Tuna is an easy and good meal - salt, seasoned pepper, garlic and a hot cast iron skillet with olive oil is all that you need. A quick sear on each side for a minute or so and you are done. Sometimes I use a white wine butter sauce with it, other times I go plain or incorporate something traditional like rice pilaf.

Mahi cooks much the same way, though I typically go further with the cook than I do tuna. Keep the seasoning simple, no more than med rare and you'll find that it is extremely good.

Flounder can be done a million ways, stuffed is always awesome, blackened is great, light sautee with lemon and butter is not unusual either.

The biggest thing about most fish is your selection and how you cook it. Things like tuna need to be med rare at the absolute most, with rare being ideal. If you take a good tuna steak and go medium, you'll find that the flavor is just not there and the fish texture is dry and it become chewy - it really affects how the meal goes. With mahi, you want medium rare where the middle is just barely done. Flounder is relatively forgiving to me and that makes it a great selection.

If you have a market near you or know folks that fish, you have a whole world opened up. Speckled trout is a great fish to cook - and for me the simpler the better with it. Ling, wahoo, triple tail, snappers...all are outstanding meals but won't be the most common to get a hold of. Other types of fish can be very good if cooked properly, especially those that are darker and oilier meat that typically have a more robust flavor (that seems to be the type that people shy away from the most IMO - swordfish, shark, etc.).

Catfish is always a standby - sometimes a good fried catfish is hard to beat. Cornmeal and pepper and hot oil. It's also easy to sautee as it can be pretty universal across the board due to it's relativley mild flavor - Abes south of town has some dishes with catfish that are flat awesome. I stay away from tilapia personally, if i'm going to go bottom feeder, i go catfish.
Tursiops93
AG
Zemira said:

I want to eat fish. I want the nutritional content of fish - Omega 3s, Vitamin D, and other vitamins and minerals.

I want to reduce my risk of stroke and heart disease. I want to reduce my inflammation and autoimmune disease.

I'm sorry but I'm not going vegan. I asked for help on fish.
AVOID Tilapia at all costs then. No nutritional value at all.
Burn-It
AG
Wild caught Atlantic salmon (buy center cut from HEB if possible)

Coarse sea salt & coarse black pepper, be generous.

Sliced lemons over the top.

Cook over grill, I use ceramic grilling grates with aluminium foil over the top. You can also just wrap the whole filet in foil with ends left open. I have a smoking drawer in my grill, so try a few different varieties of you have the ability.

I grill at 400 for 20 minutes, pull the foil and cook until fat starts to render.

Some of my kids can be picky eaters, but they love this. It is a weekly standard.
AKA 13-0
bam02
AG
OP, also keep in mind that different types of fish will have wildly different levels of healthy fats. Generally the milder the fish the lower the omega3 levels. I do agree that milder fish is a great way to get used to it and learn some cooking methods. I didn't always care for fish (except fried), but now we eat salmon weekly. We just sprinkle a little HEB seafood seasoning on it and bake it for 15-20 minutes. I admittedly still don't crave it but I thoroughly enjoy it every time.
texagbeliever
Try the heb lime pepper seasoning on the salmon with vegetable oil. Delicious.
Texker
AG
This stuff from Costco is amazing.

http://www.moreys.com/product/seasoned-grill-wild-alaskan-salmon/
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.