Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pork Burnt Ends

7,402 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mathguy64
OregonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone done these before? I'm trying it for the first time today. I'm smoking some country style ribs whole and will cube them after they hit 170ish then put them in a foil pan with sauce and more rub for an hour or so.

I read on some forums that a few guys had them come out tough but I'm guessing they didn't smoke long enough.

I put the butt on at 8 and the CSRs on around 9.
NColoradoAG
Havent done them with CSRs but have with pork belly and they turn out pretty tasty.
Bruce Almighty
AG
So you're making smoked carnitas.
RK
AG
I've also done them with pork belly and they turned out pretty ridiculous. Did a batch of Korean bbq and a regular spicy bbq.
OregonAggie
AG
I've thought about doing pork belly but haven't yet. This has reaffirmed my desire to do them!
schmendeler
AG
Like others I've done them with pork belly and they are fantastic.
agfan2013
AG
Another +1 for having done them with pork belly. Gonna do some this Saturday as an appetizer for a brisket that I'm smoking.
OregonAggie
AG
More rub and now some sauce on them before going back on the pit.

Pork butts, boudain, and tri tip are all done. Now just waiting for these.
aggiespartan
AG
We did these last week and it was fantastic.
Ag_07
AG
How do you guys do them with pork belly?

I've never done these but think they would be a hit at the upcoming Masters party.
RK
AG
something along these lines. you can tailor the flavor/sauce once you put it in the pan to whatever you like.

http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/
schmendeler
AG
Ag_07 said:

I've never done these but think they would be a hit at the upcoming Masters party.

Like this.

I followed the kamado Joe procedure on their YouTube channel.
bigboykin
AG
Living in FL where brisket typically ran $4.99-7.99/lbs, I used to do this as a matter of fiscal necessity. Did pretty similar to this video, and they always turned out delicious.

BEaggie08
AG
Ag_07 said:

I did them with about a pound of pork belly, just as a proof of concept. Freaking fantastic, but a little more work than a regular smoke.

I really need to do these again, but my waistline disapproves.
Mathguy64
AG
Holy mother of god how have I never heard of this? I have an extra 10 lb belly left over from my last bacon makin' time that is about to be put to the test.
aggiebq03+
Why is it every time I come to the Food Board someone is trying to get me fat or make me spend money on some new awesome kitchen stuff?!?!!?

(And yes it may be due to the threads I click on here.)
NColoradoAG
aggiebq03+ said:

Why is it every time I come to the Food Board someone is trying to get me fat or make me spend money on some new awesome kitchen stuff?!?!!?

(And yes it may be due to the threads I click on here.)
You ever made Pork Shots?
Texmid
AG
I have a 10 pound pork belly I got at Costco. I plan to do the burnt ends with it. Thanks for posting this.
RK
AG
I split a 10 pounder in half and did bacon with half and burnt ends with half...10 lbs of burnt ends is a lot...but I would never judge...
schmendeler
AG
RK said:

I split a 10 pounder in half and did bacon with half and burnt ends with half...10 lbs of burnt ends is a lot...but I would never judge...
yeah, I typically even out the belly for bacon and the excess goes to burnt ends.
Tanya 93
Would it be cheaper to make my own bacon?

What I buy for Benny is 9.99 a pound.
He swears it is the best ever, so it is worth the price.
schmendeler
AG
Tanya 93 said:

I think it's $3-4/pound to buy pork belly. haven't looked at prices in a while, though. plus you can flavor it however you want. make black pepper bacon, maple, garlic, or whatever. use only the ingredients you want, and then whatever woods you want.
NColoradoAG
Tanya 93 said:

$10 a pound bacon? Yes, it would be much, much cheaper. It takes a bit of planning and work, but I find it worthwhile. Pork belly at Costco here is usually $2.99 per pound. The rest of the ingredients needed are usually on hand or negligible in cost.
Tanya 93
NColoradoAG said:

Tanya 93 said:

$10 a pound bacon? Yes, it would be much, much cheaper. It takes a bit of planning and work, but I find it worthwhile. Pork belly at Costco here is usually $2.99 per pound. The rest of the ingredients needed are usually on hand or negligible in cost.

This is in house made bacon at the hippie mart.

Since I don't really cook bacon very often, I wanted to get the stuff he really likes as opposed to the Oscar Meyer which is bacon, so it must be good according to B. But the other stuff is 3 times better.

We don't have a Costco, but we do have a Sam's.

I'll check there. Thank you.
HTownAg98
You will likely need to order the pink salt (insta-cure #1), as most grocers won't carry it. You can leave it out, but you're bacon will taste like spare ribs instead of bacon.
biobioprof
NColoradoAG said:

Tanya 93 said:

Do it because its fun and for how you can customize the product, not to save money.

Unless you value your time below minimum wage.
Tanya 93
biobioprof said:

NColoradoAG said:

Tanya 93 said:

Do it because its fun and for how you can customize the product, not to save money.

Unless you value your time below minimum wage.

Honestly?

I hate that stuff.

I want this bacon loving brat to know what is involved with making it.

Thank you and everyone else for the answers.
Mathguy64
AG
Made pork belly burnt ends today. Holy crap. Let's see if imgur cooperates.

On the BGE.

A couple of hours of smoke.

Next step. Prepping for the braise.

After the Braise

After glazing and right before I raise my cholesterol
aggiespartan
AG
Just a convenience tip - I have some cooling racks that we used. We put the pork belly cubes on the cooling rack and put that right on the smoker, so we didn't have to worry about moving them one at a time. We just lifted the whole rack.
Mathguy64
AG
I had so many I had to arrange them in that shape to stay above the plate setter in the BGE.
MD1993
AG
My Contribution to the Pork Burnt Ends thread. Made with a pork belly.

schmellba99
AG
Made some of these as appetizers for Easter Sunday. Aside from slightly over cooking, they were friggin awesome. Will definitely be doing them again.
Ag_07
AG
RK said:

something along these lines. you can tailor the flavor/sauce once you put it in the pan to whatever you like.

http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/

Made these this weekend and man they were almost too good.

Set them out before the pork butts were done and we just about filled up on these before even yanking the porks off the pit.

Thanks for the heads up on these!
JYDog90
AG
Made the pork belly burnt ends for a graduation party this weekend and they were a huge hit!
Formerly Willy Wonka
RK
AG
you can't eat them when they are too hot otherwise the fat just liquefies in your mouth and makes you realize your arteries are about to completely clog. you let them cool off so the fat is a little more competent and let em rip...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.