Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats the best dry rub to smoke ribs with?

8,656 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CrawfordAg
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey guys I am going to smoke some ribs this weekend. What are your dry rub suggestions?
NColoradoAG
In before salt and pepper only
cityagboy
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Yeah. I will go simple with beef sometimes, but not with pork.
NColoradoAG
For ribs, I like equal parts salt, pepper, and turbinado sugar with a half part paprika. If you like spice then hit it with a dash of cayenne.

Thats a good start for pork. If it's too salty for you liking add another part sugar. Too sweet, another half part salt.

I don't like using any smoked spices (chipotle, ancho, smoked paprika) or garlic powder because they turn too bitter IMO when cooked on the pit.
BEaggie08
AG
agfan2013
AG
If you're looking for a premade rub buc-ees is one of my favorites.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Rufus teague meat rub is superb
'03ag
cityagboy said:

NColoradoAG said:

Yeah. I will go simple with beef sometimes, but not with pork.
I did some with just salt and pepper. then when they were about done I poured some honey on them and let the heat thin it out so it would coat the ribs. Actually turned out really good. I don't normally like rubs with sugar in them, but I liked these a lot.
EFE
AG
This is my go to for ribs if I'm not mixing it up myself
?c=2
gigemags87
AG
Highly recommend this one from Amazing Ribs. I've used it many times on ribs and butt with great results.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe
schmendeler
AG
i used the rub that franklin used for pork shoulder, i believe. salt, pepper, brown sugar, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder. and i think i added some nutmeg.
schmellba99
AG
Not going to lie, the Fiesta brand pork rub is pretty solid. A smidge of paprika (not much), coarse garlic salt and cayenne.

Smoke over pecan and oak. Baste with my .odified BBQ sauce at the end and chow down.
peddler
AG
Texasbbqrub.com
HTownAg98
gigemags87 said:

Highly recommend this one from Amazing Ribs. I've used it many times on ribs and butt with great results.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe

This one, and don't think you can skimp on the rosemary powder. It is an important component. It is great on pork butts. Go a little lighter on ribs.
Btron
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

?c=2

This is my favorite too. I put this one chicken and pork chops too.
Most HEBs carry it
hillcountryag86
AG
schmendeler said:

i used the rub that franklin used for pork shoulder, i believe. salt, pepper, brown sugar, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder. and i think i added some nutmeg.

I don't think he had brown sugar. Talks about this being Texas so it didn't have any sugar. May be wrong but I thought he kept it 50/50 salt and pepper, paprika for color, then onion powder and garlic powder.
schmendeler
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

schmendeler said:

I don't think he had brown sugar. Talks about this being Texas so it didn't have any sugar. May be wrong but I thought he kept it 50/50 salt and pepper, paprika for color, then onion powder and garlic powder.

You may be right. Pork needs sugar, imo, though.
hillcountryag86
AG
Agree. Smoking a pork shoulder right now and used Amazing Ribs recipe which has brown and white sugar.
Mathguy64
AG
I use 5 or 6 parts brown sugar, 1 part salt, 1 part pepper and half part paprika, half part onion powder and half part granulated garlic powder. And then adjust S&P to taste. Onion and garlic powder can be ommited.

For a pre-made rub I use Dizzy Pig. Often I will give a light coat of DP then heavier coat of mine.
memace
AG
Plowboys Yardbird. Academy here stocks it.
Aggie GIGolo
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

?c=2
+ 1 for Williams. Also like Meat Church Honey Hog with a little Honey Hog Hot on the bone side
BurnetAggie99
Williams is good stuff and so is Killer Hog The BBQ Rub.

If I make my own I use Lawry's seasoned salt, paprika, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, Spanish paprika, dry mustard powder, mild chili powder, and tad of Cumin

https://www.amazon.com/Killer-Hogs-BBQ-Rub-Ounce/dp/B0097TYQQ4/ref=as_at?creativeASIN=B0097TYQQ4&linkCode=w61&imprToken=86vpRSvZq506S2lNjhQbZA&slotNum=0&tag=brostrick-20
duge60
Harleys
ethridgem
AG
Recently, I've enjoyed using the Salt Lick's Garlic rub on all things pork.
BQ78
AG
Was going to add that one myself. Everything else Salt Lick related, except all you can eat, is mediocre at best.
CrawfordAg
AG
I have been stuck on meat church's honey hog or spicy honey hog lately, rib tickler isn't bad but I add a bit of cayenne to it. Also like the salt lick garlic dry rub mixed with enough brown sugar for a good tacky bark.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.