Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Hasty Bake Grill

6,279 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 88Warrior
edsel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody familiar with a Hasty Bake grill?
Joe Exotic
AG
When I was a kid I think my sister got one for Christmas in the '80s.
biobioprof
no, but Amazing Ribs likes them.

https://amazingribs.com/grill-smoker-combination-grill-smoker/hasty-bake-gourmet-256-dual-finish-charcoal-grill-review
fta09
AG
I did a private cooking event last year with a guy who used to sell them and now runs his BBQ joint completely off the things. His BBQ is good and he knows what he is doing. But if I wanted to do BBQ, I'd rather have an offset or a WSM or something similar.

They work fine for BBQ, but they aren't cheap. Keep in mind I prefer gas for the convenience during the week for quick things like steaks, burgers, and chops. If you want charcoal all the time, the Hasty Bake is pretty versatile and can let you do it all.

Edit: It was Burn Co Barbeque for anyone interested. He rarely does private events but my boss had a hookup.
NColoradoAG
Had one for a while and never cared for it much. There's not one aspect of it that's better than an Egg.
752bro4
AG
My wife is from Tulsa (where they're made), and her friends and family all have them. Everyone there swears by them. I just don't see the big deal, especially for something that can get twice as expensive as a BGE.
fta09
AG
Haven't used a BGE but I can see how it would be just as good or better in many cases. Maybe the Hasty Bake would have more room? Not sure, but I know you guys say you can fit a good amount on the larger BGE.
Aggie GIGolo
AG
Family has been using Hasty Bakes for over 40 years.

Pros- durable high quality build. Height adjustable fire box so you can sear, bake or smoke* (see below). This is its best feature. Excellent choice for charcoal grilling.

Cons - This is NOT a smoker. Hasty Bake is called a charcoal oven for a reason. If that is your primary interest go with a WSM or offset (or pellet if you don't want charcoal). You can get some decent smoke for a short cook but would not recommend for brisket or other long cooks. Hasty Bakes can be pricey.

Hope this helps!
aggiemike02
AG
We have one and love it. GLGolo is correct to say its not a smoker, its a charcoal oven which can absolutely smoke.
Txmoe
AG
Looks like cooking surface is the biggest plus. That's an issue with a lot of the other popular BBQs, like the BGE.

Honestly, I go to my $300 Pit Barrel Cooker more and more, over my BGE. It makes the best version of everything I like to cook with the exception of brisket (still trying to get that one down). Chicken is hands down the best I've ever cooked. Also, cooks with Kingsford briquettes but still gives great smoky flavor.
88Warrior
Bought one (Legacy Model) about 7 years ago when we moved up to Tulsa. It's been great for ribs, chicken and steaks. Tough but manageable for brisket as you lose alot of heat when reloading charcoal and wood chunks. I feel I've gotten my $1000.00 worth. Would buy again but it's not close to be worn out yet. Well built with a ton of accessories and a strong following of folks who can give great advice and recipes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.