Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Prime ribeye cap steaks from Costco

17,307 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Long Live Sully
CalAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found them once at the Katy store, however, I didn't buy them. Haven't looked recently.
ToddyHill
AG
I bought them about a year ago at the Costco in Farragut, TN (suburb of Knoxville). I believe I saw them there the last time I was in Costco a couple of weeks ago.

At $19.95 per pound, they better be good, which is why they might opt to blade tenderize. Honestly, I see no reason to blade tenderize a ribeye, particularly if its Prime and been aged at least 14 days. Also, following the label instructions and cooking it to 160 degrees would be a big mistake in my opinion.
A New Hope
TCSD84 said:

These are great but IMO too soft if not cooked to medium. Mid rare on rib cap is no bueno.
This.
NColoradoAG
Plenty of prime grade cap steaks in Fort Collins today.
gvine07
AG
Apparently the Plano Costco doesn't sell Prime (regular) Ribeye steaks anymore! You have to choose between the caps or the eye (round?). They still have Choice ribeyes.

I just find that weird...
schmendeler
AG
They separate them in store so you can probably buy the whole cut.
CalAG
AG
gvine07 said:

Apparently the Plano Costco doesn't sell Prime (regular) Ribeye steaks anymore! You have to choose between the caps or the eye (round?). They still have Choice ribeyes.

The Katy Costco had Ribeye Caps this weekend in the traveling roadshow case. Looked good, but I wasn't in the market for them.

As far as what cuts and grades Costco carries, I find it to be very seasonal. Around the major holidays they will have HUGE amounts of Prime meat other times they really scale back. I have also found that on the primal cuts that are still in the packer bags, they will often mix the prime and choice in the same pile. Just have to dig a little bit.
Long Live Sully
AG
gvine07 said:

Ring the bell and get a meat guy. They will get them for you.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.