Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

I've made a lot of bad decisions in my life

8,692 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieFrankTX
tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AG 07 said:

tlfw378 said:

I don't like beans. I don't ever eat beans. If you put beans in the chili, I will not eat it. No big deal, you can have it. I will find something else to eat.

Great! At least with this special snowflake they aren't entitled.

It doesn't bother me in the least how you like your chili. Eat it anyway you like. Make it anyway you like. I could miss a meal or three...
Duncan Idaho
tlfw378 said:

AG 07 said:

tlfw378 said:

I don't like beans. I don't ever eat beans. If you put beans in the chili, I will not eat it. No big deal, you can have it. I will find something else to eat.

It doesn't bother me in the least how you like your chili. Eat it anyway you like. Make it anyway you like. I could miss a meal or three...

I didn't not get why this is such a bad thing. It isn't like we are living in a society where people are starving to death.

I don't see this as any different than passing on anchovy pizza, ghost pepper wings, or balut. Some people don't like somethings. I would rather have a guest fill up on something they like and be relaxed than to have then choke down something they don't enjoy. I am not going to take it personally.
SumAggie
chili is like gumbo. There is no "best" way to make it. You make it how YOU like it!
Sooner Born
Ag_07 said:

Customize it and make it however you please. WGAS
The special snowflakes on this board apparently do.
ILikeTacos
AG
tlfw378 said:

AG 07 said:

tlfw378 said:

I agree with you completely. I was more of making a comment about the fact that you don't like beans at all in anyway. That has got to be a minority in the general public given their place in general food culture across the world, their nutritional value, diversity, ease of growth and cost efficiency. That is a unique person, but you have a bad ass attitude about it.
tlfw378
tlfw378
AG
How I roll...

In my house, because I never ever use/cook/eat beans for myself I make it simple...make chili, make beans, cut up extra onions, jalapenos, cheddar cheese, crackers, whatever you want, in dishes on the counter and everyone can make a bowl of whatever/however they want. Just add whatever floats your boat. Everyone in my family wants it different then I, except my younger brother. We are twins when it comes to most food dishes.
MichaelJ
AG
Uh no sir. Gumbo is sacred.
ATM9000
AG
Chili is a comfort food to me. I was born and raised in Texas but my folks are from the Midwest. Growing up, chili was the great leftover revitalizer. My Mom threw basically any leftover in chili and it tasted delicious and beans always went in it. I do the same with my family today.

Honestly, I've found every version of Texas Chili I've ever had really bland and lacking of texture.
Tanya 93
I just made a big pot of black beans.

They will be frozen in meal sized containers. Some will go in chili. I might even make Frito pie with that chili.

THE HORROR!
Bulldog73
AG
I eat all of my chili over rice, and I just learned within the past year or so that's supposedly uncommon. I prefer chili with beans, I like the texture change they add to the dish, but I'm a weirdo and will eat it however.
Belton Ag
AG
superunknown said:

Quote:

The kolache argument is MUCH more relevant bc its words that have been *******ized by city folk who don't care to know the correct vocabulary.

Damn dude, settle down. Nobody cares what you call a pig in a blanket.

Is it possible to get any more Food Board than a Kolache argument on a beans-in-the-chili thread?

All we need is a gumbo fight, a sous vide recipe and for Fido to show up an start slinging insults around and we'd be all set.

Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

PFG said:

Quote:

That, and the whole kolache/klobasnek argument. Just stop

Why is this a silly argument? Do you want me to call your truck a car? Do you drink your coffee from a bowl? Do you wear a pair of sun watches on your face when outside?

The kolache argument is MUCH more relevant bc its words that have been *******ized by city folk who don't care to know the correct vocabulary.

Meanings of words change, especially when involving two languages. It's been that way through recorded history.
Lame, and lazy.
Slicer97
AG
Sounds like a bunch of dumb mothereffers in here order the chicken fajitas.
JTrainsBabyCousin
AlaskanAg99
AG
Made my best pot of chili ever last weekend.

1lbs Buffalo
1.75lbs Chuck coarse ground chili
2 lbs mild Italian sausage
1 large onion
2 bell peppers (green/red)
2 cups chopped celery
Spices

And yeah, 2 cans of rinsed/drained red beans. Wife doesn't care for beans so I removed enough for her for 2 meals prior to adding beans.

MookieBlaylock
AG
I made a pot Monday and didn't use beans. I did serve it over spaghetti and man of was amazing

Y'all have to try it
Ogre09
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

I made a pot Monday and didn't use beans. I did serve it over spaghetti and man of was amazing

Y'all have to try it

Troll
Gabster43213
My wife and I had this discussion today eating at Wendy's. She is a fan of beans in chili. In my opinion, there is no place for them in it. If you want beans, cook pinto beans and pour over cornbread and add chow chow.
proudaggie02
AG
I much prefer green chili to red. I eat red chili maybe 3 times/year & it's the recipe used by Eskimo Joes (has beans). It's good.
Ogre09
AG
Gabster43213 said:

My wife and I had this discussion today eating at Wendy's. She is a fan of beans in chili. In my opinion, there is no place for them in it. If you want beans, cook pinto beans and pour over cornbread and add chow chow.

WTF is chow chow
MarineAggie95
AG
Beans are a side dish for once you add beans to chili it is no longer chili but becomes chili beans. Usually when we have people over and I am making chili I also make a nice pot of Pintos and tell people if they want beans in their chili help themselves to adding to cooked pintos. My wife just shakes her head.
FCBlitz
Love me some beans and chili pour over the top of maccoronni and cheese.
JSKolache
AG
PFG said:

I don't put beans in my chili.

That said, I stopped the bean hate a few years ago. I was ragging on bean-in-chili peeps when I was told they grew up eating chili that way bc it stretched the pot. Money was tight. Too tight for all mean chili.

Insert foot in mouth.

Anyway, just making a point to say there are more than 1 reason why people add beans to the pot.
Which is prolly what the range folks did in 1880 as well. But I don't care - don't like beans in mine.
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
Chow chow is pickled tomato relish
AggieFrankTX
I am a purist.

Beer has four ingredients: barley, hops, yeast and water. There are lots of similar beverages out there with these ingredients plus a few others. Some of them taste quite good, and I drink them on a regular basis ... but they are not "beer."

Chili has a limited list of ingredients as well: beef, onions, peppers and garlic, plus a variety of spices. There are lots of foodstuffs that look a lot like chili and even taste a lot like chili, but have additional ingredients (e.g. beans and tomato, to name a few). Some are actually quite tasty, and I will certainly eat them if provided to me. I will even make them myself on occasion ... but they are not "chili."

My friends, however, do give me grief about the "beef." If I am going "all out" on a big pot, I have three "beef" ingredients: course ground "chili meat," hamburger-style ground meat, and finely-diced stew meat (pieces about 1/4 the size of typical stew meat). I think having all three textures tends to add something to the tactile experience, but some people seem to take issue with the large "stew meat" chunks. I am the only person I know who does this. My friends call it either "stewli" (stew-chili) or "chew" (chili-stew). Some ask me to make it, and others ask me NOT to make it.
AggieFrankTX
Bulldog73 said:

I eat all of my chili over rice, and I just learned within the past year or so that's supposedly uncommon. I prefer chili with beans, I like the texture change they add to the dish, but I'm a weirdo and will eat it however.
My mom always served chili with rice, but it was cooked separately and everyone could decide (1) whether to serve the chili over the rice, (2) whether to sprinkle grated cheese over the chili and (3) whether to add diced, raw onion. (Only my father did the last one).

I still sometimes do the rice thing, but I honestly like saltines with chili better than rice with chili.
Ogre09
AG
AggieFrankTX said:

I am a purist.

Beer has four ingredients: barley, hops, yeast and water. There are lots of similar beverages out there with these ingredients plus a few others. Some of them taste quite good, and I drink them on a regular basis ... but they are not "beer."

Chili has a limited list of ingredients as well: beef, onions, peppers and garlic, plus a variety of spices. There are lots of foodstuffs that look a lot like chili and even taste a lot like chili, but have additional ingredients (e.g. beans and tomato, to name a few). Some are actually quite tasty, and I will certainly eat them if provided to me. I will even make them myself on occasion ... but they are not "chili."

My friends, however, do give me grief about the "beef." If I am going "all out" on a big pot, I have three "beef" ingredients: course ground "chili meat," hamburger-style ground meat, and finely-diced stew meat (pieces about 1/4 the size of typical stew meat). I think having all three textures tends to add something to the tactile experience, but some people seem to take issue with the large "stew meat" chunks. I am the only person I know who does this. My friends call it either "stewli" (stew-chili) or "chew" (chili-stew). Some ask me to make it, and others ask me NOT to make it.

Pardon my French but AggieFrank is so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in two weeks you'd have a diamond.

Also, lots of folks use fine diced stew meat.
AggieFrankTX
Ogre09 said:

Pardon my French but AggieFrank is so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in two weeks you'd have a diamond.

Also, lots of folks use fine diced stew meat.
Pleased to make your acquaintance. Extremely polite fellow, aren't you?
Bruce Almighty
AG
I hate ground beef chili. Diced chuck roast is the only way I make it.
Texker
AG
JTrainsBabyCousin said:

But last night I put beans in the pot of chili I was cooking for the first time and realized that it was perhaps the dumbest decision I've ever made in my 29 years on Earth.
The odds are in your favor if you were wearing a condom. Otherwise, there's no post insertion solution for beans in chili.
John Francis Donaghy
AggieFrankTX said:

I am a purist.

So your chili is just a pile of garlic and spice seasoned meat with chopped onions and peppers?
AggieFrankTX
John Francis Donaghy said:

So your chili is just a pile of garlic and spice seasoned meat with chopped onions and peppers?
Basically, yes, though I did exclude water (which I thought was self-evident), so it is not really a "pile" in the sense of Ethiopian food. And the onion is more sliced than finely-chopped. Cooked (simmered) not less than ten hours.

Why? I want it to be authentic. According to my research, this is what would have been served from chuck wagons on the trail. The only difference with most recipes is. (1) beans (enough said above) and (2) tomato.

Tomato would not have been available on a trail drive, unless dried (and I have seen no contemporaneous reference that chuck wagons on the trail carried sun dried tomato). I have tried it in the recipe just as an experiment (because I LIKE sun dried tomato) and did not care for the result. Experiment with enough different peppers, and you could probably overcome the sweetness, but I did not see it as being worth the effort.

Again, I have no problem with recipes that add fresh tomato OR (gasp) beans, I just do not think they are authentic Texas chili. Much like I enjoy a good California sparkling wine, but do not call it "champagne."
Ogre09
AG
AggieFrankTX said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

Basically, yes, though I did exclude water (which I thought was self-evident), so it is not really a "pile" in the sense of Ethiopian food. And the onion is more sliced than finely-chopped. Cooked (simmered) not less than ten hours.

Why? I want it to be authentic. According to my research, this is what would have been served from chuck wagons on the trail. The only difference with most recipes is. (1) beans (enough said above) and (2) tomato.

Tomato would not have been available on a trail drive, unless dried (and I have seen no contemporaneous reference that chuck wagons on the trail carried sun dried tomato). I have tried it in the recipe just as an experiment (because I LIKE sun dried tomato) and did not care for the result. Experiment with enough different peppers, and you could probably overcome the sweetness, but I did not see it as being worth the effort.

Again, I have no problem with recipes that add fresh tomato OR (gasp) beans, I just do not think they are authentic Texas chili. Much like I enjoy a good California sparkling wine, but do not call it "champagne."

You don't think chuck wagons had dried beans?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.