Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Hibachi style fried rice, and a simple stir fry type thing to go with it..

3,557 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmellba99
FabricatorAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Easy recipes or suggestions please. Go..
I like mullets, and bourbon whiskey..
Koko Chingo
AG
We make fried rice at the house all the time. It is super easy and tastes great. My kids made about 4 times a week this summer for lunch. Here is what we do:

I use jasmine rice. Other rice works this is just what I use. We have a rice maker and make a big pot of rice with many meals. I use at least day-old rice to make fried rice. Trying it straight out of the rice maker doesn't work.

I make it differently just about every time because I mainly use leftovers when making it. It may be half a pork chop diced and mixed with leftover veggies.

- I heat up a skillet and melt a pad of butter in it. I dump in my leftover rice and start stirring it up.

- Dump in your veggies and/or meat.

- After things start to heat up a little crack some eggs and scramble them into the skillet. (I usually have rice at fridge temp and maybe some frozen veggies wait until they have been at least cooked to room temp before adding eggs)

- Stir fry it up and add some soy sauce a little at a time. As the food gets hot and the eggs firm up start tasting and maybe add some more soy sauce until it has the strength you are looking for.

- When it's all heated serve on a plate and enjoy

Our family primarily uses all leftovers except we may add some frozen vegetables. It is a great way eliminate waste. Sometimes we have some funky combinations, even BBQ. My kids love fried rice and prefer to cook it themselves.

I purposely make a lot of rice so there is white rice available immediately for dinner and enough left for fried rice. Its great to take some to work with your lunch.

AggieChemist
AG
Great ideas.
Koko Chingo
AG
I learned something tonight. My wife made fried and she does the eggs first. I had always waited until the chill was taken off the ingredients. I did notice a difference. I guess it doesn't matter.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Instead of leftover rice, my wife spreads freshly steamed rice on a large platter or sheet pan. Let ot sit for a while to dry out.
FIDO*98*
AG
For this recipe I'm using a Wok because my flat top has the other hibachi stuff going on, but, if you're only making rice you can do a couple of these steps simultaneously on different parts of the Grill. This makes enough for 4 large servings

When you cook the rice is overblown. I cooked this rice around lunch out of convenience. I've made this recipe with day old rice, and I've made it with rice cooked immediately before the stir-fry. There really isn't a huge difference in the final product

Get everything set up ahead of time. You'll be working fast once you get rolling

Left to right, top to bottom. 1/2c finely diced carrot, 3c cooked rice, 1/2c finely diced onion, 2 eggs, 3 Tbls butter with 2 cloves garlic pressed, 1 Tbls sugar + 1 Tbls fried rice seasoning, Soy Sauce. Not pictured Avocado oil

Sautee onion and carrots in 2 Tbls oil on medium until tender

Make a well in the veggies and add 2 more Tbls oil. Either crack eggs directly or beat lightly in a bowl and pour in the well. Crank up the heat to full

When the eggs are about 3/4 set, stir in the rice and stir-fry for a minute or two. Once the eggs are all cooked make another well and add the garlic butter and sugar/spice

Once the butter melts and the garlic cooks down stir fry again and shake in soy to taste

Don't forget the choo choo train turned flaming volcano

gigemags87
AG
Adam Ag 98 said:

Instead of leftover rice, my wife spreads freshly steamed rice on a large platter or sheet pan. Let ot sit for a while to dry out.

Then put the sheet pan in the freezer for faster drying.
3 William 56
AG
My wife calls it random fried rice. She used some seseame oil too though.
biobioprof
I don't use butter, just cooking oil. I cook the veggies and rice and then crack the eggs into a well in the rice. Mix and cook at the same time so the eggs are not as homogeneous as in scrambled eggs.

Add a splash of oyster sauce in addition to the soy.
aggiebq03+
I noticed one time at a hibachi place how MUCH butter they used. Started using a ton in our fried rice and man it was so much better. Not healthy at all, but tastes great.
Eliminatus
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

I noticed one time at a hibachi place how MUCH butter they used. Started using a ton in our fried rice and man it was so much better. Not healthy at all, but tastes great.

Pretty sure this is for everything food related.

....and some things not food related.
Ronnie
AG
Also, don't forget the secret ingredient in Benihana fried rice.
schmellba99
AG
I do a lot of the same (lots of butter - real butter), lots of garlic, sauteed onions, peas, etc.

I also generally add some chopped up chicken breast or pork too, sometimes small shrimp as well. I like it somewhat finely chopped.

Fried rice is the Asian equivalent of jambalaya - you can damn near use anything and it will probably be good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.