Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Custom made chefs knife

5,034 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
Stan Crowch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about buying one for someone as a gift. Anyone have any recommendations?
aggiespartan
AG
I always hear good things about this guy, but haven't gotten to the point where I can justify a knife this expensive. Cut Brooklyn
BSD
AG
I just bought two chef's knives from HHH Custom Knives in Michigan. He does some incredible work. There is a waitlist though and they are not cheap. You can see a lot of his work on the kitchen knives forums.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/forumdisplay.php/62-HHH-Custom-Knives

I went with two knives for a "good vs evil" theme. Here is what he made me:

I'm actually sending the darker knife back to add a K-tip to it. It should make it more evil. Something like this:

I'll probably use HHH for another knife or two...a slicer and a boning knife. That should last me a lifetime or two.
BSD
AG
I'm also on the waitlist for Bloodroot Blades out of Athens, GA. I think the current waitlist time is 40 months. I have about 12 to go. They are making a knife that I can leave to my son made out of some personal items.

They do a monthly lottery where they put out a few knives, you pick one you like and enter, and then they pick a random winner, who then pays.

http://www.bloodrootblades.com
biobioprof
I never heard this until I was in grad school, but some people are superstitious about knives as gifts.

http://www.thekitchn.com/are-you-too-superstitious-to-gift-knives-198037

Quote:

Why is it bad luck to give knives? Who knows, but it's a common belief all over the world. From China to Europe, the superstition is that a gifted knife will "cut the friendship" between giver and receiver, or that it will cut the gift recipient... unless they do one thing.

The giver of a knife, according to many traditions and superstitions, should only offer a knife with a penny attached, which the recipient promptly gives back to the giver as a "payment" for the knife, thereby preserving their relationship (and fingers).
Sazerac
AG
those are freakin' awesome.

care to tell us how much one will set me back?
BSD
AG
I kinda went off the deep end on this project. For example, I used fossilized mammoth tooth on the evil knife handle. The good knife handle is made from mammoth ivory from a pristine core he acquired as I initially contacted him. There were other expensive add-on's on both knives so I got out at $1500 each. You can go cheaper and get a great knife so I guess $800-1000 is a starting point. Like I said, it's not cheap but this is truly custom, quality craftsmanship. The followup service has been good too. I sent my evil knife back for the k-tip and he got it on Friday and it's already on it's way back to me.
Sazerac
AG
will be a cool item to pass on though
DiskoTroop
http://www.larskallgren.se/

This guy is in Sweden but does beautiful stuff at very fair prices (once the price is converted into USD!!)
Stan Crowch
AG
Beautiful knives BSD
RK
AG
Damn. My man crush in BSD continues. Those are awesome.
BSD
AG
cclearman said:

will be a cool item to pass on though

Yeah, my son will get those too but the one I'm having made for him at Bloodroot will use his first onesie as the handle with brass collars/pins and a mustard patina blade, similar to the blade below but with a different handle. I always planned to keep the onesie as a keepsake but thought it would be cooler if I did something with it. I plan on giving it to him when he buys his first house. Of course he's only 8 years old right now so we have a ways to go.

wadd96
AG
Damn you all. Damn you all to hell.

My checkbook is going to hate all of you.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
BSD
AG
My "evil" knife arrived on Thursday with the K-tip added. It's perfect.

Icecream_Ag
S
BSD said:

part no attention to the alarm going off. I'll be long gone long before you realize that is all that is missing
dave99ag
AG
BSD said:

javajaws
AG
If you want a true custom / original knife, there's no better place:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/for-sale-kitchen-knives.890/
BSD
AG
It's Christmas on Halloween! It looks as if my new cleaver is complete. They are finishing up the other two knives for me. I'll post once complete.

(And yes, I went to Bloodroot looking for one knife and am coming out with three)
BSD
AG
And here is the 5" paring knife they just completed.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
BSD said:

And here is the 5" paring knife they just completed.

damn!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.