Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Alright, let's talk Grills, Smokers, and the Big Green Egg

8,363 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OregonAggie
Seanzy2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I'm looking for another grill. Right now I'm resigned to using a crappy Kingsford grill that has done alright if you are cooking high heat, but not really good for anything else.

I'd like a grill that can double as a good smoker. That's why I've been considering the BGE. I've only head good things about it (minus the cost of course).

It's either that or a Weber smokey mountain cooker charcoal smoker and I'll pick up a weber to grill with.

Let's try and keep it Charcoal as best we can. I don't dog people who use pellet, electric, or gas grills (I do silently judge you a little bit).

Looking at about a $400-$600.00 budget if I don't go for the BGE. BGE I might spend the extra money just because I hear they are durable.

Are the other Kamado ceramic grills just as good as BGE? Or is it really just the brand that's so expensive?

Getting analysis paralysis over here.

fta09
AG
I only plan on smoking anything for my wife, my kid when he is older, and myself so I do not need a lot of space. I have a Weber Genesis that runs off the gas line coming to my house, so I use that for quick, easy stuff. I wanted to be able to smoke a pork butt or some racks of ribs, so I got a Weber Kettle a few months ago and couldn't be happier with it. If you needed a little more room a WSM would be great in my opinion.

Check out www.amazingribs.com whatever you decide to read reviews, tips and tricks, and stuff you can buy for them.
Seanzy2012
AG
Feel like you can control the temps pretty well with the Kettle?
jh0400
AG
I've been kicking around the idea of buying a Broil King Keg 5000. I'd like a kamado grill that I can transport without fear of shattering it, and it seems to fit the bill. The trailer hitch adapter is pretty cool as well. Of course, all in you're still looking at >$1,000 for the grill and accessories.
fta09
AG
I picked up a slow 'n sear to go with it and it's incredibly easy. It holds between 225 - 250 F without adding more charcoal for 6 - 7 hours. The SNS makes it a little easier to do a good 2-zone set up so you can, for instance, slow cook a thick ribeye then sear the outside. One of the higher grade Kettle's comes with something similar but it is not as sturdy and also does not have the additional water containment.

Again, there's some good info on www.amazingribs.com on the Kettle. I marked off my vent settings for closed, 1/4, 1/2, full open with a Sharpie and they're almost identical to the picture on the website. I'm not sure I would have thought that far ahead until already being halfway in to my first trial run otherwise.
HTownAg98
I've got a Weber kettle and a slow n sear, and it works great. It's not quite a set it and forget it setup, but it's pretty close. I did a 10 hour smoke on a pork butt, and I had to adjust the vents maybe 3-4 times. For $300 (the cost of the kettle, the slow n sear, and an igrill2), you can do much, much worse.
NColoradoAG
Buy the Egg. It fits the bill for what you want to do and with basic care it will last forever.
FIDO*98*
AG
The BK Keg 2000 would be a great option in your price range and would give you the performance of a BGE

Ceramic Kamados that are similar quality to the BGE include the Grill Dome, Kamado Joe, and Primo. I have the BGE, but, bought mine before they went sky high. I would probably go with the Grill Dome if I were buying today.

I've been very happy with service from BBQ guys on my Blaze built in. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Kamado from them
betadawg1
AG
I recently decided to ditch the gas grill but wasn't sure I would like an egg. Went with an Akron off of Amazon for $260 delivered. It should last 3-4 years and give me plenty of time to decided if I really like this style of cooker. Used it a couple of times and so far so good.
ME85
AG
Santa Maria style grill built in, next to a backwoods smoker. About $1300 total though. All the room I'll ever need when having a family or 2 over.
AggieSam02
AG
Tough in that price point but if you spend the money on a BGE you won't be disappointed. If you're in the Houston area, check us out - www.creekstoneoutdoors.com
jgh85Ag
AG
Build yourself an ugly drum smoker.
JFrench
AG
betadawg1 said:

I recently decided to ditch the gas grill but wasn't sure I would like an egg. Went with an Akron off of Amazon for $260 delivered. It should last 3-4 years and give me plenty of time to decided if I really like this style of cooker. Used it a couple of times and so far so good.

I had same thought process. Ive had mine for 4-5 years. Like it and never upgraded.
AggieChemist
AG
I sold my offset, my gas grill and my weber charcoal grill and replaced them all with a BGE over 10 years ago and have never looked back.
Ag MD 84
AG
Sold my Weber gas grill and Weber Smokey Mountain, bought a BGE---no regrets.
chipotle
We upgraded to the bge but kept the old gas grill in case we got real lazy.
schmellba99
AG
Look on craigslist for used ceramics - most brands are essentially the same. BGE, Vision, Kamado Joe, etc. - same principles, most can use the same accessories. Some are oval shaped, so obviously those can't use the same accessories.

I bought a Vision grill off of craigslist a while back - came with the grill, charcoal starter, plate setter, pizza stone and a few other odds and ends - including a table, for $400. Been pretty solid so far. Great for grilling, pretty good for smoking, awesome for pizzas as well. Still use my bigger pit for brisket and if I were to do a lot of meat at once, but this thing is pretty good. Heats up fast, doesn't us a lot of charcoal so you can smoke if you want (just keep in mind that they aren't going to smoke as good as a smoker designed specifically for smoking).

I fought the ceramic bandwagon for a while, but when my gas grill died I found this deal and decided to take a chance on it. No regrets at all.
Farmer1906
AG
Another happy BGE owner. I've cooked on a Primo too. The shape is a little different, but still basically the same.
NColoradoAG
schmellba99 said:

just keep in mind that they aren't going to smoke as good as a smoker designed specifically for smoking

I think this board and the Outdoors board needs to have a bbq cook off featuring ceramic owners versus offset owners to settle this debate.
Farmer1906
AG
'03ag
JFrench said:

betadawg1 said:

I had same thought process. Ive had mine for 4-5 years. Like it and never upgraded.
Same here. I've been scouring craiglist for a lightly used Akorn so I can run 2 of them at once. They're so cheap I just can't bring myself to pay ceramic $$.
Duncan Idaho
I have a big steel keg, it is great
I got mine when they were being closed out and picked it up for $199. I love it but at the retail price, unless you are going to travel with it, I don't recommend it over a ceramic. Just because rusting is an option on these.
REMtx
I have a BGE and absolutely love it. I grill and smoke on it primarily. My family loves the food I cook off it even when I'm feeling adventurous with recipes, food types (wife was not a big fan of any pork before, now enjoys tenderloins and ribs).

I would go with either BGE or Kamado Joe. BGE is the leader of course in ceramic grills, but the main thing with them is the lifetime ceramic warranty. They also have a great community (online and through Egg fests). Most of their name brand accessories are relabeled and overpriced stuff though.

Kamado Joe the past few years has really stepped up on quality and been innovative. They include a lot of accessories for free when you purchase a unit. BGE is not as innovative, but the community relies on third party vendors to be the innovators. Most of the Kamado Joe innovations are knock offs of third party BGE accessories (smoke ware cap, adjustable rig).

See if there are any Eggfests near you or Kamado Joe roadshows to get the best deals. Price each other out and go with what the best deal you can get.
Seanzy2012
AG
NColoradoAG said:

schmellba99 said:

just keep in mind that they aren't going to smoke as good as a smoker designed specifically for smoking

I think this board and the Outdoors board needs to have a bbq cook off featuring ceramic owners versus offset owners to settle this debate.
You. Are. A. Genius.

Sign me up for a sponser/judge.
Seanzy2012
AG
jgh85Ag said:

Been considering it.
Seanzy2012
AG
I have considered an offset as well.

Honestly, it'd be more because I think that'd it'd look bad-A in my backyard, but my guts tell me the ceramic probably does the better job.
schmellba99
AG
NColoradoAG said:

schmellba99 said:

I have both a smoker and my ceramic Vision.

Vision blows the smoker out of the water for all around - you can smoke on it, you can grill on it, you can bake on it. It's a great rig.

For purely smoking (brisket, pork butt, pork loin, etc. - true items that you smoke), the smoker produces a better product IMO. It's not a huge gap, but it's noticeable to me.

That being said...the Vision gets fired up far more often than the smoker does.
jgh85Ag
AG
Seanzy2012 said:

jgh85Ag said:

Been considering it.
if you do, check out my ugly drum smoker thread at www.bbq-brethren.com

Lots of good ideas on that thread.
aggiebq03+
NColoradoAG said:

schmellba99 said:

Guess the vertical smoker guys aren't getting invited?...

Shelton98
AG
'03ag said:

JFrench said:

betadawg1 said:

Same here. I've been scouring craiglist for a lightly used Akorn so I can run 2 of them at once. They're so cheap I just can't bring myself to pay ceramic $$.

We started a low-carb diet back around April 1st.... I bought an Akorn from Walmart for $288 just to use as a smoker for brisket, pork butts, etc... After a little exerimenting on what all it could do.... I have since retired my Brinkmann 4-burner propane grill, my Char-broil 2-burner infrared grill, and my Weber 22.5" charcoal grill. If I have to buy another one in 5 yrs.... I will not hesitate.
schmendeler
AG
I've had a kamado Joe now for about six weeks and I'm loving it so far. Got it at Costco for $200 off. So far I've done a pork shoulder, ribs, pork belly, and even smoked some bacon I home cured.
ORAggieFan
I love my WSM and Weber Genesis. But, if I wanted a single unit to do all I'd go BGE or similar.

That said, if you're cool with multiple units you can get the 18" WSM and a gas or kettle and overall be able to do way more meat for same or less.

Really just depends on your needs. Lots of quality out there and everyone will say what they have is the best because it justifies their purchase. Not that they don't enjoy it.
texag06ish
AG
I have a XL BGE with woo/rig combo from the ceramic grill store. Tons of space with this option and the food is consistently excellent.

My only complaints are that it can take up to 30 min to get the coals really going and you have to shower after using it or your bed will smell like BBQ.
AggieChemist
AG
If you're taking 30 min to warm up you probably need to break down and clean out the ash.
texag06ish
AG
AggieChemist said:

If you're taking 30 min to warm up you probably need to break down and clean out the ash.

30 min to get white hot coals. I shop vac after every cook.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.