Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Alright, let's talk Grills, Smokers, and the Big Green Egg

8,443 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OregonAggie
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
texag06ish said:

I have a XL BGE with woo/rig combo from the ceramic grill store. Tons of space with this option and the food is consistently excellent.

My only complaints are that it can take up to 30 min to get the coals really going and you have to shower after using it or your bed will smell like BBQ.

How are you starting it? I can get to 500 degrees in 15 minutes with the Looftlighter.
texag06ish
AG
MAAP Torch
'03ag
texag06ish said:

. . . and you have to shower after using it or your bed will smell like BBQ.
This is a problem?
NColoradoAG
texag06ish said:

MAAP Torch

Huh. Maybe its an XL vs Large thing.
texag06ish
AG
'03ag said:

texag06ish said:

. . . and you have to shower after using it or your bed will smell like BBQ.
This is a problem?

Is your issue with the shower or bed not smelling like BBQ?
Seanzy2012
AG
Alright thought I'd give you guys an update on the search (and research).

I went to a BGE dealer yesterday (actually got a day without the kid, spent it looking at grills and smokers).

I will say, I was very impressed. They were out of the larges which is what I was after, although after seeing the XL and realizing I could smoke two turkeys on that thing; I was tempted. The salesperson they had was very knowledgeable about everything, spoke about things he did with his own BGE.

I left almost certain I would come back Tuesday and buy one of the larges, but on the trip back to the house I got to thinking about pros and the cons.
______________________________________________________________________________________
Pros:
1. I want to believe the salesman was right, might be the last smoker/grill I'd ever need to purchase (assuming no cracks from my own future clumsiness).

2. I really liked how tight it could keep the heat and moisture within the dome (guy said you need to burp them before you open one after hours of smoking or the steam & smoke could prove somewhat hazardous).

3. I asked about needing to add heat for butts or briskets, he replied that you really don't ever need to. Said a few bags of charcoal have lasted him all year (he smokes all the time) because of how the BGE keeps everything so well insulated.

4. Once temps are set you really don't have to baby the vents all that much, maybe check every few hours.

5. Lifetime Warranty (I will admit this a big selling point, imo).

6. There is a ton of information out there on the BGEs thanks to all the EggHeads, so finding information on things you might like to do or have something you are unsure about there is a large community out there to give you ideas or troubleshoot.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Cons (and other thoughts):
1. Price: Easiest place to start. These guys are pricey. $799.00 for the large (XL runs you $1,090.00) and that is ONLY FOR THE EGG which leads me to number 2.

2. Added Accessories (some assembly required): alright so you've made the decision to purchase the BGE. $800.00. That's it right? No.

+You have to buy a NEST (the stand that holds it up). They have a nest that you can use to place on a flat surface with no wheels (runs you about $35-$50.00) or you buy the standard issue nest with wheels (runs you about $80.00-$100.00. They have tables you can purchase for the BGE too ($500.00) but you still need the small nest because you cannot put directly on the table (thing gets hot).
+Buy a cover($80.00-$100.00): a simple cover that protects it from the elements (unless you are able to roll it to you garage. We have stairs to our garage to that means we'd have to lift it every time. Your waiting for it to cool off and then you need at leaset two full grown men (maybe more) to lift that thing.
+Buy a convEGGtor (another $80.00-$100.00) for smoking with indirect heat otherwise your putting the meat over direct heat from your cooking grids
+Buy folding Egg Mates ($145.00) for two. These are the two shelves on the side of the egg that don't come standard issue like they do for most grills. If you bought it alone with just a nest, you'd need a table to put items or meats that you are needing to use.

While they have a number of other accessories (pizza & baking stones, grill pans, poultry roasters, even knives the with the BGE logo those listed above are what it looks like you'd really need if you wanted to get started comfortably.

3. Cannot buy official BGE accessories online (gotta be through an approved dealer)
Now I don't know if there are knock-off brands parts that fit interchangeably with BGE, but if there are I'd consider them.
Someone on the board more knowledgeable than me in this subject will likely be able to chime in.

4. Charcoal & Starters: they want you using Lump Charcoal. While I wouldn't consider this a con, the salesperson seemed pretty adamant about not using briquettes with the BGE although he couldn't give me a reasonable reason why (other than the taste is better). I don't use briquettes all that much anyway.
+The other thing was the charcoal starter they recommend to light the charcoal with. Because the salesmen all use this, I couldn't get a good answer if it'd make any difference using a chimney starter like I do for everything else. Again, someone else on this board will probably be able to clear that up for me after reading this.

5. It's heavy: again, might not necessarily be a con, but if you travel with you grill, bring a Weber to your tailgate might be the better option but considering how some of you bring those huge smokers to games, that might not be as much of a problem, but be careful because you don't want to get a crack in the ceramic. From learning more and reading forums, this is a big problem.

6. High Heat:
there was also some mention of getting the heat down once it's gone up. Big reason why is because it's so well insulated that it takes some time to get the temps back down.

7. Cheaper Ceramic Grills Out There.

8. You become an Egghead.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Summary:
I'm still thinking I really want one, but to be honest all the added accessories have put me off of it a bit.
Most other smokers/grills come with accessories needed (or are much cheaper than the egg).

I have looked at Akron and Kamado Joe grills as well, most seem to really like theirs however I have read that there is a few modifications you need to make as soon as you get them.

I'm also really considering just going for the Smokey Mountain Smoker from Weber and keep using my old grill for high heat grills.

I'm not completely ruling it out. Another thing that crossed my mind is if there was a time of year were I might find a good deal on one (black friday) or if the BGE is ever on sale at all.

One thing I a bit skeptical of was the dome thermometer's temperature accuracy. They all said that the BGE's dome temp was right on the money and they didn't really need any additional meat or grill thermometers, but experience dictates that usually the dome temp on a smoker/grill is inaccurate most of the time and because I've never owned a BGE I really don't have a clue. If I bought the BGE, I'd definitely do some testing of my own to make sure grill temps are accurate.

That's where I'm at now. I'm hoping to have made a decision in the next couple of weeks (gives me time to get everything calibrated before labor day).
Feedback is GREATLY appreciated. If anyone else has any thoughts, saw something I missed, can answered any questions I had, or have anything else that might help your other fellow Ags on the BGE or smokers in general let me know. To some of this might not be new news, but to those in my same boat it may prove helpful.
Ag83
AG
Bunch of ways to start the thing. The one thing you NEVER want to do is use lighter fluid. Ever. I use a torch on my Primo, but others use things such as various types quick-lights, cotton balls soaked in alcohol, paper towels drizzled with cooking oil, electric starters, chimneys (like you have) to name a few. I love my Primo and it was worth every penny I paid for it to me. Your mileage may vary.

Also, I have heard of people using briquettes in ceramic cookers. The main reason it's not recommended is the additional ash generated (as compared to lump). Can tend to clog up air flow.
schmendeler
AG
Seanzy2012 said:

Alright thought I'd give you guys an update on the search (and research).

I went to a BGE dealer yesterday (actually got a day without the kid, spent it looking at grills and smokers).

I will say, I was very impressed. They were out of the larges which is what I was after, although after seeing the XL and realizing I could smoke two turkeys on that thing; I was tempted. The salesperson they had was very knowledgeable about everything, spoke about things he did with his own BGE.

I left almost certain I would come back Tuesday and buy one of the larges, but on the trip back to the house I got to thinking about pros and the cons.
______________________________________________________________________________________
Pros:
1. I want to believe the salesman was right, might be the last smoker/grill I'd ever need to purchase (assuming no cracks from my own future clumsiness).

2. I really liked how tight it could keep the heat and moisture within the dome (guy said you need to burp them before you open one after hours of smoking or the steam & smoke could prove somewhat hazardous).

3. I asked about needing to add heat for butts or briskets, he replied that you really don't ever need to. Said a few bags of charcoal have lasted him all year (he smokes all the time) because of how the BGE keeps everything so well insulated.

4. Once temps are set you really don't have to baby the vents all that much, maybe check every few hours.

5. Lifetime Warranty (I will admit this a big selling point, imo).

6. There is a ton of information out there on the BGEs thanks to all the EggHeads, so finding information on things you might like to do or have something you are unsure about there is a large community out there to give you ideas or troubleshoot.

Cons (and other thoughts):
1. Price: Easiest place to start. These guys are pricey. $799.00 for the large (XL runs you $1,090.00) and that is ONLY FOR THE EGG which leads me to number 2.

2. Added Accessories (some assembly required): alright so you've made the decision to purchase the BGE. $800.00. That's it right? No.

+You have to buy a NEST (the stand that holds it up). They have a nest that you can use to place on a flat surface with no wheels (runs you about $35-$50.00) or you buy the standard issue nest with wheels (runs you about $80.00-$100.00. They have tables you can purchase for the BGE too ($500.00) but you still need the small nest because you cannot put directly on the table (thing gets hot).
+Buy a cover($80.00-$100.00): a simple cover that protects it from the elements (unless you are able to roll it to you garage. We have stairs to our garage to that means we'd have to lift it every time. Your waiting for it to cool off and then you need at leaset two full grown men (maybe more) to lift that thing.
+Buy a convEGGtor (another $80.00-$100.00) for smoking with indirect heat otherwise your putting the meat over direct heat from your cooking grids
+Buy folding Egg Mates ($145.00) for two. These are the two shelves on the side of the egg that don't come standard issue like they do for most grills. If you bought it alone with just a nest, you'd need a table to put items or meats that you are needing to use.

While they have a number of other accessories (pizza & baking stones, grill pans, poultry roasters, even knives the with the BGE logo those listed above are what it looks like you'd really need if you wanted to get started comfortably.

3. Cannot buy official BGE accessories online (gotta be through an approved dealer)
Now I don't know if there are knock-off brands parts that fit interchangeably with BGE, but if there are I'd consider them.
Someone on the board more knowledgeable than me in this subject will likely be able to chime in.

4. Charcoal & Starters: they want you using Lump Charcoal. While I wouldn't consider this a con, the salesperson seemed pretty adamant about not using briquettes with the BGE although he couldn't give me a reasonable reason why (other than the taste is better). I don't use briquettes all that much anyway.
+The other thing was the charcoal starter they recommend to light the charcoal with. Because the salesmen all use this, I couldn't get a good answer if it'd make any difference using a chimney starter like I do for everything else. Again, someone else on this board will probably be able to clear that up for me after reading this.

5. It's heavy: again, might not necessarily be a con, but if you travel with you grill, bring a Weber to your tailgate might be the better option but considering how some of you bring those huge smokers to games, that might not be as much of a problem, but be careful because you don't want to get a crack in the ceramic. From learning more and reading forums, this is a big problem.

6. High Heat:
there was also some mention of getting the heat down once it's gone up. Big reason why is because it's so well insulated that it takes some time to get the temps back down.

7. Cheaper Ceramic Grills Out There.

8. You become an Egghead.

Summary:
I'm still thinking I really want one, but to be honest all the added accessories have put me off of it a bit.
Most other smokers/grills come with accessories needed (or are much cheaper than the egg).

I have looked at Akron and Kamado Joe grills as well, most seem to really like theirs however I have read that there is a few modifications you need to make as soon as you get them.

I'm also really considering just going for the Smokey Mountain Smoker from Weber and keep using my old grill for high heat grills.

I'm not completely ruling it out. Another thing that crossed my mind is if there was a time of year were I might find a good deal on one (black friday) or if the BGE is ever on sale at all.

One thing I a bit skeptical of was the dome thermometer's temperature accuracy. They all said that the BGE's dome temp was right on the money and they didn't really need any additional meat or grill thermometers, but experience dictates that usually the dome temp on a smoker/grill is inaccurate most of the time and because I've never owned a BGE I really don't have a clue. If I bought the BGE, I'd definitely do some testing of my own to make sure grill temps are accurate.

That's where I'm at now. I'm hoping to have made a decision in the next couple of weeks (gives me time to get everything calibrated before labor day).
Feedback is GREATLY appreciated. If anyone else has any thoughts, saw something I missed, can answered any questions I had, or have anything else that might help your other fellow Ags on the BGE or smokers in general let me know. To some of this might not be new news, but to those in my same boat it may prove helpful.

Kamado Joe includes that stuff.
texag06ish
AG
Nearly everything I own for my BGE is third party. It's a great system because it allows you customize your experience.

Here is a list of what I use:
MAAP Torch
Thermopop
Bear claws
Orange high heat gloves
Smokeware cap
Kick ash basket
Table from Lakeview Woodcrafting
Duck cover custom cover
Ceramic grill store Woo/Adjustible rig combo with a pizza stone and drip pan (this acts as my platesetter - I recommend this over the platesetter to start with because it is so versatile)
Rubbermaid crate and large stainless scoop for lump
Shop vac to clean
Pit master IQ
A huge cast iron comal that my dad made me. I use it as a griddle and searing station.

I consistently make good food and the upkeep is minimal. My tools help me regulate the temp really consistently on long smokes without much effort but even before I got fancy it was a breeze. High heat cooks are a breeze once you know how to set temp- seared steaks, pizza, burgers, dogs etc...Yes, at some point I will have to file a warranty claim because all ceramic cookers break but from what I hear BGE is great to deal with. Also, calibrate the dome thermometer with boiling water occasionally and it will always be accurate.

I think the pro's you listed are spot on and the con's are a little over stated. Take your time to research the extras you want and buy things when the budget allows.

I was really searching for cons on the two negatives I threw out earlier.

Hope this helps!
Ag MD 84
AG
I had a Weber gas grill and wanted to try smoking, so I bought a WSM which does one thing well. I was very happy with the WSM, but was going to build a house and put in a space for a "built-in" BGE. I ended up buying a large BGE at an egg fest and it included the nest and was 20% off sticker and only used once. I also got a good deal on a plate setter and a pizza stone and have added a few other accessories here and there since then. I went to the Austin/San Antonio egg fest this past spring and had a great time and picked up lots of tips. If you can wait, the egg fest is a good place to get a "deal." If you're in a hurry to get going, the WSM is a good product and relatively inexpensive (I ordered mine through Bed Bath and Beyond and used one of their coupons).
Seanzy2012
AG
Might be a stupid question, but do you still have the warranty if you buy one used?
REMtx
If you buy one at an egg fest that was used, you still get the warranty along with a discounted price. If you buy a used egg from a previous owner, the warranty generally doesn't transfer.
Aggie GIGolo
AG
Hasty Bake out of Tulsa. Grills and smokes.
NColoradoAG
Aggie GIGolo said:

Hasty Bake out of Tulsa. Grills and smokes.
I had a Hasty Bake for about five years. It was a pretty good grill, but it was an awful smoker.
txagdan
AG
OP if you're near New Braunfels and want a screaming deal on an XL Green egg in a nice metal and would table, please contact me.
04.arch.ag
AG
I would be interested. I am in San Antonio.
agcrock2005
AG
Looftlighter
AggieChemist
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Looftlighter
I've used three approaches: Looftlighter, MAPP torch, and conventional electric "ring" starters.

I'd rank them as follows:
1) MAPP torch. Fast and easy. Piezoelectric push button starting, give it ten seconds in three spots, open your vents and walk away.

2) Looftlighter. Fast and easy, but handcuffed by needing electric. My brother in law has to roll his egg across his deck to the outlet, or deal with an extension cord. Neither is ideal. Also, the shroud will melt if you brainfart while using it.

3) electric ring starter. Just don't.
BEaggie08
AG
txagdan said:

OP if you're near New Braunfels and want a screaming deal on an XL Green egg in a nice metal and would table, please contact me.
Also interested. I'm in Schertz.
Seanzy2012
AG
txagdan said:

Back off guys...he was talking to me...

Nowhere close, but willing to possibly drive or have relative buy it for me.
normaleagle05
AG
Seanzy2012 said:

Another thing that crossed my mind is if there was a time of year were I might find a good deal on one (black friday) or if the BGE is ever on sale at all.

I bought a large BGE package deal from an old school hardware store on a Father's Day sale this year. Price was $999 plus tax, but it came with a $150 store gift card. I'll easily spent that at this store in the next 6 months to a year anyway. Much less now that I have an egg, another story. So let's say it was an $849 large BGE package.

Package contents:
Large BGE
Egg nest, including the fold out side tables.
Plate setter/eggconvector/whatever it's called
Ash tool
Grid gripper
Bag of BGE lump charcoal

That's $930 after tax out the door (considering the $150 in my pocket) with all the accessories you get with the well accessorized competitors. And I get the warranty/brand name recognition/service. I love my Rtic, but I'll take a Yeti for the same price all day long.

Don't focus on the retail price of the stand alone egg. If you want a kamado, pick a few dealers and watch them for deals. Or just ask for a deal on a package. They may be open to making a customer out of a pending egghead.

In any case, T&P's for your wallet.
Reel Aggies
AG
Some lady on the Boerne garage sale on Facebook sold a gently used green egg yesterday for $150. The list was a mile long with a bidding war. I'm always a day late to the party.
txagdan
AG
Sorry folks, i hadn't checked back. My email is narcisomd at yahoo . Contact me and I can get you pics. Plate setter, ash tool,. Charcoal saver. The metal table stand is bombproof. I even have a new gasket that I hadn't installed yet. Thanks
OregonAggie
AG
NColoradoAG said:

schmellba99 said:

just keep in mind that they aren't going to smoke as good as a smoker designed specifically for smoking

I think this board and the Outdoors board needs to have a bbq cook off featuring ceramic owners versus offset owners to settle this debate.

This needs to be done
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.