Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Brisket..

4,127 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by NColoradoAG
FabricatorAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Smoking a brisket in a offset 250 gallon propane tank pit over oak for Sunday lunch. Planning to use holy cow meat church as my rub, I'm a central Tx bbq guy so it entails salt, pepper, papirika, garlic powder, nothing crazy. My only thing is I'm getting a packer, and will trim it moderately but leave a good solid layer for bark. Planning to be around a 11lb brisket. I'm wanting to go low and slow on this. How early is too early to apply the dry rub I want FLAVOR! and when would y'all put it on to ensure it's done for lunch but still fresh. I'm not cheating and using a electric probe, just the gauges and how the brisket jiggles and will check it when I believe it's done with a temp probe. Thoughts?
I like mullets, and bourbon whiskey..
Farmer1906
AG
The fact you think probe is cheating is silly. If you're not cooking them damn near weekly then you probably don't really have s good feel of jiggle alone. If you're asking about when to apply rub then you're probably not cooking them very regularly.
FabricatorAg
aggie1906 said:

The fact you think probe is cheating is silly. If you're not cooking them damn near weekly then you probably don't really have s good feel of jiggle alone. If you're asking about when to apply rub then you're probably not cooking them very regularly.

I respect your opinion, but how will you ever learn if you always use a probe? If I char a few briskets, I'll buy myself a electric probe and you a beer at the chicken. No I sold my last offset that also had a smoking chamber, so I don't get to cook briskets anymore very often, but I'm borrowing a buddies pit so I can cook my ribs and brisket all on one pit this weekend.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

I respect your opinion, but how will you ever learn if you always use a probe?
Use a probe until you figure it out so that you don't ruin $50 briskets?

As far as when to put rub on...I do it the night before and put meat on really cold, but that's because I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes a smoke ring.
FabricatorAg
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

As far as when to put rub on...I do it the night before and put meat on really cold, but that's because I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes a smoke ring.

Oh for sure this. I'm all about the smoke ring. I'm planning to put on sometime around midnight Saturday. Will prolly light pit Saturday afternoon to play with dampers and get it as close to ideal temp as possible and get me some good coals going.
agcrock2005
AG
And for how long...Franklin says 1-1:15/lb at 250 degrees. Doesn't count rest time either.
JYDog90
AG
I'm just here for the comments.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Duncan Idaho
I have to say this is the most pretentious brisket post in TexAgs history.

Congrats
Bruce Almighty
AG
How can there be cheating in non competition cooking?
HTownAg98
I'm pretty sure this is a bad troll attempt.

In case it isn't, watch this a couple of times.

And for God's sake, use a good dual probe thermometer; one probe for your ambient temperature, one for the meat.
NColoradoAG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

How many times do we have to discuss smoke rings on this damn board. A smoke ring has nothing to do with how good a brisket turns out. None.
Two Down
AG
Stopped here:

MichaelJ90 said:

I'm a central Tx bbq guy so it entails salt, pepper, papirika, garlic powder, nothing crazy.

Not technically, you're not.
agcrock2005
Joe Exotic
AG
Two Down said:

Stopped here:

MichaelJ90 said:

I'm a central Tx bbq guy so it entails salt, pepper, papirika, garlic powder, nothing crazy.

Not technically, you're not.

But he wants FLAVOR!
Brush Country
Using the gauges is cheating. Real brisket makers go by the looks of the coal how they jiggle when placed in the pit. But if you need to cheat to get your brisket done, fine by me.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Brush Country said:

Using the gauges is cheating. Real brisket makers go by the looks of the coal how they jiggle when placed in the pit. But if you need to cheat to get your brisket done, fine by me.

How's it cheating? What are you competing against? You're just cooking. It's called advancement in technology. I guess when the electric oven was invented, using those must have been cheating. Why use a kitchen aid when you can just mix everything by hand.
bam02
AG
Temp probes are cheating LOL!
superunknown
AG
So you're telling me you don't butcher the steer yourself?

Pfff. Cheater.
FriedTex
AG
I've been raising my herd for 5 years now, excited to take them to market. If you don't raise your own beef your a *****
superunknown
AG
Anyone can raise a calf but are you breeding them personally?

Well...maybe not personally. You know what i mean.
jgh85Ag
AG
I am growing my oak from acorns. Just planted them last fall so it might be a while.w
Bruce Almighty
AG
If you aren't smoking your brisket in a pit that you dug out of your own backyard, you're just cheating.
JYDog90
AG
Pffft. Borrowed pit.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Brush Country
Bruce Almighty said:

Brush Country said:

How's it cheating? What are you competing against? You're just cooking. It's called advancement in technology. I guess when the electric oven was invented, using those must have been cheating. Why use a kitchen aid when you can just mix everything by hand.

I was attempting to make fun of the OP saying that using a temperature probe is cheating. I guess my sarcasm wasn't high enough.
Brush Country
And everyone knows that if you aren't using wood from a tree you planted yourself and cut down yourself with a saw that you fashioned from scrap metal, again, by yourself, that you're cheating on your brisket.
lazuras_dc
AG
NColoradoAG said:

agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

How many times do we have to discuss smoke rings on this damn board. A smoke ring has nothing to do with how good a brisket turns out. None.
How good a girl looks doesnt make a difference in the nut you bust but you ain't going after uglies... some people thinks it looks sexy and part of a great meal is the presentation and the esthetics of it. Let them do what they like.
AgEng06
AG
Well that's... an interesting way to put it.
aggietony2010
AG
Brush Country said:

And everyone knows that if you aren't using wood from a tree you planted yourself and cut down yourself with a saw that you fashioned from scrap metal, again, by yourself, that you're cheating on your brisket.

Scrap metal. Get out of here. You're cheating if you aren't refining the metal from ore you gathered yourself.
God save the Patriarchy!
Duncan Idaho
Damnit beat me to it.
Duncan Idaho
Basically I am in the camp that believes the "primative technology" guy on YouTube can't do it, it is cheating.

*I HIGHLY recommend watching his channel
NColoradoAG
lazuras_dc said:

NColoradoAG said:

agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

How good a girl looks doesnt make a difference in the nut you bust but you ain't going after uglies... some people thinks it looks sexy and part of a great meal is the presentation and the esthetics of it. Let them do what they like.

It does look good. And I wasn't telling anyone how to do anything. Im just saying you cant write off a piece of bbq because it doesn't have a smoke ring.
superunknown
AG
Are we still talking about brisket?
Ag83
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Basically I am in the camp that believes the "primative technology" guy on YouTube can't do it, it is cheating.

*I HIGHLY recommend watching his channel
I was just getting ready to mention this guy.
fido00
AG
Pshhhh, you people that buy salt. I harvest my pure salt from The Dead Sea.
schmendeler
AG
You losers probably all eat domesticated animals. I managed to isolate the genome of the wild aurochs and revived the formerly extinct species myself in order to ensure I was eating authentically sourced meat unlike you cheaters.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.