Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Salmon recipes?

3,100 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by NoahAg
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Getting my parents to eat a little healthier, but neither are big fans of salmon. Combination of the greasiness and not finding a good flavor/recipe, I think, because I got them some Morey's preseasoned salmon from Sams and they liked it.

So I think I'm looking for some baked recipes, probably avoid fried stuff to avoid adding any extra greasiness.

Thanks
AlaskanAg99
AG
Grill, fresh lemon and black pepper. Maybe a touch of garlic powder.

Lately I've been using an Alder board, presoak it for 60 mins, place fish onnit, skin side down, touch of olive oil, lemon, black pepper and throw it on the grill. The board should burn and smolder a bit, viola, smoked grilled salmon. It's insanely good.
Tailgate88
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Lately I've been using an Alder board, presoak it for 60 mins, place fish onnit, skin side down, touch of olive oil, lemon, black pepper and throw it on the grill. The board should burn and smolder a bit, viola, smoked grilled salmon. It's insanely good.

I do the same with a cedar plank. Great stuff.

The way we get our kids to eat salmon is to put a teriyaki glaze on it, or Tiger Sauce. They love it.
alabamaaggie12
AG
Teriyaki Salmon marinade

1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp oil (I use EVOO)
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
2 Tbsp honey

Mix well and marinate salmon for 30 minutes. Reserve a small amount before marinating if you want to brush some on right before you remove from the grill (or oven). We cook it on a presoaked cedar plank on a 350 degree BGE. Really good! When I'm in a hurry or without limes I just use bottled lime juice and store bought minced garlic.
MichaelJ
AG
Crispy delicious skin is the key.
htxag09
AG
We weren't fans of salmon until we get our sous vide, now we have it every week: salt, pepper, lemon zest, olive oil, and fresh thyme

Sous vide then cast iron skillet, if I'm feeling lazy we won't sear it after sous vide, just don't eat the skin.

I know that probably doesn't help you.....
MichaelJ
AG
While it doesn't provide crispy skin, poached salmon is easy and healthy (when poached in broth not oil)

It's also quite delicious
rhoswen
AG
I make an Asian salmon & cucumber slaw that's fantastic...

vikalinka.com/2016/09/04/asian-salmon-with-carrot-and-cucumber-slaw/
PapaJohn14
AG
htxag09 said:

We weren't fans of salmon until we get our sous vide, now we have it every week: salt, pepper, lemon zest, olive oil, and fresh thyme

Sous vide then cast iron skillet, if I'm feeling lazy we won't sear it after sous vide, just don't eat the skin.

This
Duncan Idaho
MichaelJ said:

this right here.
MichaelJ
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

MichaelJ said:

this right here.

Truly. It's almost better than chicken skin
Bruce Almighty
AG
You don't need a sous vide to get perfectly crispy skin on salmon. This is how I cook it:

Pat dry the salmon on all sides with a paper towel and season on all sides with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in skillet over med high heat
Once at temp, lower heat to med low and immediately place salmon skin side down on skillet.
Press down on salmon with a spatula and cook for 10 seconds. Repeat for other filets.
Continue cooking for 5 - 7 more minutes, pressing down from time to time until skin releases easily from pan. (if you like your salmon more on the med side, cook closer to the 7 min mark.
Flip and cook another 15 seconds and transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
I like to eat salmon with teriyaki sauce personally.
OregonAggie
AG
Chili powder, lime, salt.

Or

Ginger, honey, salt and pepper.

You can put those ingredients on them and put them right in the oven. You could also get a blackening seasoning although I frown upon that. Actually I frown upon the above mentioned ways too but that's because I love salmon grilled with just salt and pepper on it. I just use those recipes for folks that don't like salmon for the reasons you mentioned.
bigtruckguy3500
Tasty sounding recipes. I'll definitely need to work on the crispy skin, as I think that might help a bit.

Thanks
EFE
AG
JACH14 said:

htxag09 said:

This

+2
Burn-It
AG
I put center cut salmon filets skin side down w/a little olive oil on ceramic grate, then add course sea salt, cracked pepper & lemon slices. Loosely cover salmon & grate w/foil, place in 450 degree grill w/a little chunck of oak smoking nearby. Cook 20 minutes, take off foil & cook 5 minutes. Serve w/baked broccoli or grilled asparagus & some pasta. The entire family devours this weekly.
AKA 13-0
momlaw
AG
If salmon is being purchased from fish display they are happy to skin it if that helps your parents' enjoyment.
Girlhowdy
AG
my favorite recipe for salmon is Southern Living's Firecracker Salmon. I usually use Scottish Salmon, pricier, but so much better.

I bake in oven at 400 for about 20 mins instead of grilling often.
Ingredients

6 (6-oz.) salmon fillets
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
2 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
How to Make It

Place salmon fillets in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Whisk together vegetable oil, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, dried crushed red pepper, ground ginger, sesame oil, table salt, and onion powder. Pour over salmon, reserving 1/4 cup mixture. Seal and chill 30 minutes. Preheat grill to 400 (high) heat. Remove salmon from marinade; discard marinade. Grill salmon, without grill lid, 4 to 5 minutes or until fish is cooked through and flakes with a fork, turning occasionally and basting with reserved marinade. Remove and discard skin.
Martin Cash
AG
Grill it
OCEN99
AG
Tailgate88 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

I do the same with a cedar plank. Great stuff.
Yep, this is our go to method. I use a mix of melted butter, lemon juice, dill, and soy sauce to baste it right at the start of grilling, and my fish-hating family loves it.
BEaggie08
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

You don't need a sous vide to get perfectly crispy skin on salmon. This is how I cook it:

Pat dry the salmon on all sides with a paper towel and season on all sides with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in skillet over med high heat
Once at temp, lower heat to med low and immediately place salmon skin side down on skillet.
Press down on salmon with a spatula and cook for 10 seconds. Repeat for other filets.
Continue cooking for 5 - 7 more minutes, pressing down from time to time until skin releases easily from pan. (if you like your salmon more on the med side, cook closer to the 7 min mark.
Flip and cook another 15 seconds and transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
I like to eat salmon with teriyaki sauce personally.

Just to clarify, sous vide doesn't produce crispy skin, it's the sear afterwards in the skillet that does. Sous vide merely ensures that the flesh is cooked to a precise temperature that is even throughout.
FlyFish95
I find Salmon is best with a simple dusting of spice of your choice; 375 for 18 min.
fta09
AG
Lots of people posting to cook at X temperature for Y minutes. Those can be good guidelines (or bad), so one of the best things you can do is get an instant read thermometer so you know the internal temperature of your food.
Mule_lx
AG
Preheat grill to medium direct.

Preheat cedar or alder plank 3 minutes. Flip, oil and salt plank. Add salmon skin down. Brush on butter, soy sauce, lemon juice, and fresh dill mixture. Cook 15-20 minutes. Garnish with more fresh dill.

Melt half a stick of butter. Add soy sauce until tasty. Add lemon until tasty. Add dill.

Edit: Forgot the salmon.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Mule_lx said:

Preheat cedar or alder plank 3 minutes. Flip, oil and salt plank. Brush on butter, soy sauce, lemon juice, and fresh dill mixture. Cook 15-20 minutes. Garnish with more fresh dill.

Melt half a stick of butter. Add soy sauce until tasty. Add lemon until tasty. Add dill.

Grilled wood plank. Yummy.

AgNav93
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Mule_lx said:

Preheat cedar or alder plank 3 minutes. Flip, oil and salt plank. Brush on butter, soy sauce, lemon juice, and fresh dill mixture. Cook 15-20 minutes. Garnish with more fresh dill.

Grilled wood plank. Yummy.

It's a North Korean recipe. Very good I'm told.
Mule_lx
AG
I made a mistake. I hadn't had coffee yet. Chemex btw.
bigtruckguy3500
Where do y'all get the cedar for cooking the salmon on? Is the stuff from Home Depot safe to cook with?
AlaskanAg99
AG
We buy the alder planks at Sprouts, 2 pack. Had this again last night. May be the only way I eat this ever again.
NoahAg
Lil$Ag said:

I bake in oven at 400 for about 20 mins instead of grilling often.

That seems like a long time. I like the flavor of salmon, so I'm fine with just some simple salt, pepper, garlic. Cook 4-5 minutes on stainless pan. Flip, cook in over at 400. Maybe 8 minutes?

My kids like more of the sweet or teriyaki marinades. I usually just make it up on the fly. Honey, soy sauce, teriyaki, spices.
NoahAg
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Where do y'all get the cedar for cooking the salmon on? Is the stuff from Home Depot safe to cook with?
If it's green, probably not.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.