Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Fish rub/seasoning

3,368 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by rononeill
gvine07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are trying to eat healthier, and I'm trying to get us to eat a fish once a week. Realistically all of it will come frozen from Costco.

We are not fans of the fish taste. Are there any good fish rubs/seasonings/marinades that we can use to provide good flavor? What do y'all recommend or not recommend? I'm in DFW and don't have easy access to all of the goodies at HEB we used to get.
Fall92
AG
I like lemon pepper or simple garlic and olive oil depending on the fish.
EFE
AG
Zatatrains/Tony Chacheres/Old Bay in the original or blackened versions are always solid and can be found on Amazon
schmendeler
AG
Get something really mild like tilapia
gvine07
AG
We bought cod last Costco trip, and I just added salt, parsley, garlic, and lemon juice & zest. It's wasn't bad, but not good either.

We stopped buying tilapia because of all the bad press. We used to let tilapia soak in a marinade and liked the taste - we will probably go back to that
fta09
AG
I would avoid tilapia due to the low nutritional value they hold compared to lots of other fish choices.

EFE makes a good suggestion for seasonings. A blackened seasoning will help cover up some of the fishy taste you are looking to avoid.

In my opinion, fish is very often over cooked. I would be sure to read up on techniques and temperatures for cooking whatever you buy to improve the taste of the food. I know sous vide is popular right now, especially for steaks, but I think I like it for fish more than anything else.
ftworthag02
AG
Not as healthy but we like the tortilla crusted tilapia in freezer section at Costco.

Also try cedar plank salmon and you can put a brown sugar glaze on it.
BEaggie08
AG
I used to like tilapia, and I still eat it on occasion, but I have a hard time getting past the fact that it's a poop fish. I try to avoid farm raised fish altogether.

When I used to make Tilapia more frequently, I pan fried it, typically with some Tony's. I also like tortilla crusted and pan fried.

If you want good fish, start trying things from the fish counter at your grocery store. Halibut, Flounder, Grouper, Trout, Tuna steaks, Snapper, Mahi (love Mahi fish tacos), Cobia, Salmon, are all really good fish. Just don't overcook them.
biobioprof
BEaggie08 said:

I used to like tilapia, and I still eat it on occasion, but I have a hard time getting past the fact that it's a poop fish. I try to avoid farm raised fish altogether.

When I used to make Tilapia more frequently, I pan fried it, typically with some Tony's. I also like tortilla crusted and pan fried.

If you want good fish, start trying things from the fish counter at your grocery store. Halibut, Flounder, Grouper, Trout, Tuna steaks, Snapper, Mahi (love Mahi fish tacos), Cobia, Salmon, are all really good fish. Just don't overcook them.
Many of your suggestions are quite a bit more expensive. Which may or may not matter to OP.

It's the usual problem that if you aren't used to cooking something very often. The temptation is to go cheaper so you don't ruin something that's on the order of $20/lb.

Looking at the HEB website, it seems like Mahi filets have a really wide range of prices. Anything you look for in picking Mahi?

I think salmon is a good one to learn to get crispy skin and not overcook. Then apply the techniques to other fish.
cypress-ag
AG
Salmon - rub with olive oil, season with blacking season, Tony's etc. add a bit of soy. I grill some times for 20 - 25 minutes or in the convection overn at 400 for 18 to 20. It never fails. We eat Salmon 2 times a week these days.
biobioprof
cypress-ag said:

Salmon - rub with olive oil, season with blacking season, Tony's etc. add a bit of soy. I grill some times for 20 - 25 minutes or in the convection overn at 400 for 18 to 20. It never fails. We eat Salmon 2 times a week these days.
Either you have really thick salmon or you're hammering it.

http://orcabayseafoods.com/cooking-tips/the-10-minute-rule-for-cooking-fish/
gvine07
AG
My goal is to eat healthy fish that won't break the bank. Looking for value over cheap stuff. We've done a lot of salmon in the past, and the recent cod experiment didn't do much for us. I'll look at prices on halibut and mahi mahi, but I don't want to spend 3x more for a marginally better fish. I'll try a couple of the recommendations though.

Quick side note - we ordered fresh salmon from Kroger ClickList and they substituted pre-rubbed frozen salmon in a commercial package. It was a good deal, just really small portions.
Furlock Bones
AG
tilapia is trash in every way.
schmendeler
AG
I guess I love trash. oysters, shrimp, crawfish, catfish, tilapia... all delicious. and all eat mud and *****
Furlock Bones
AG
schmendeler said:

I guess I love trash. oysters, shrimp, crawfish, catfish, tilapia... all delicious. and all eat mud and *****
i eat fresh oysters, fresh shrimp, fresh crawfish. i pretty much won't eat frozen crawfish or shrimp if i can help it.

all farmed in terrible conditions in asia .

tilapia has zero flavor as well.
cypress-ag
AG
biobioprof said:

cypress-ag said:

Either you have really thick salmon or you're hammering it.

http://orcabayseafoods.com/cooking-tips/the-10-minute-rule-for-cooking-fish/
Thick portions of the filet. The thinner ones yes much shorter
TXAG 05
AG
HEB usually has a pair of frozen tuna steaks for a round $5. We get those, hit with some olive oil, salt and pepper and sear each side and is always delicious.
ksp
BEaggie08 said:

Farm raised sounds horrible when you read about. I avoid all together now.
FlyFish95
Tilapia is absolutely garbage. I would only eat it to avoid starving to death.
biobioprof
Furlock Bones said:

schmendeler said:

i eat fresh oysters, fresh shrimp, fresh crawfish. i pretty much won't eat frozen crawfish or shrimp if i can help it.

all farmed in terrible conditions in asia .

tilapia has zero flavor as well.
Where are you getting fresh shrimp?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/how-to-pick-shrimp-varieties-freshness-guide.html

Quote:

The vast majority of shrimp sold in the supermarket or at the fishmonger were deep frozen at sea and delivered to the retailer in that state. That display of "fresh" shrimp you see at the counter? Those are the same bags of frozen shrimp you find in the freezer that have simply been allowed to thaw out in the store before going on display. There's no way to know how long they've been there defrosted, so you're better off buying the frozen shrimp and defrosting them yourself at home where you have more control over the process and can guarantee that your shrimp don't spend too long out of the freezer before being cooked.

The one exception to the always-buy-frozen rule is when you have access to live shrimp, either fresh from the ocean, or stored in tanks at the shop. In those cases, cook the shrimp as soon as possible after purchasing for best flavor and texture.
I recall an episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown talks about how shrimp decay so fast that the stuff you get from the roadside truck near the gulf can be worse than the frozen you get inland.

It's like the situation with "sushi-grade" fish. It's been frozen... and that's a good thing in that case because freezing kills the parasites. If you've ever seen the documentaries of tuna fishermen delivering their catch, the carcasses are hard as rocks, and they slide over the warehouse floor like hockey pucks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/08/nyregion/sushi-fresh-from-the-deep-the-deep-freeze.html?_r=0
BEaggie08
AG
More info on what to look for in Mahi Mahi, how to store, and prep ideas.

I made it last week with a White Wine Basil marinade and it was outstanding.

2 Tbsp fresh basil
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup white wine
2 Mahi filets
salt
pepper

Process basil and 1 Tbsp of the olive oil in food processor until smooth

Rub over fish, cover and refrigerate for 1 - 4 hours

Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper

Heat remaining olive oil in skillet over medium heat and cook fish 3 - 4 minutes per side (depending on thickness), or just until fish begins to flake with a fork.

I served over rice with a side of green beans, peppers, and onions.
Squirrel Master
AG
We eat a lot of salmon, one to two times a week. It cooks easy in a skillet, but grilling and baking work well too. We often times dress it up with either some salsa or hot sauce, or occasionally just some seasoning like cayenne or a general steak seasoning that I think is just a pepper/salt/garlic mixture.

Tuna and swordfish are an occasional buy for us, and they are delicious. We cook it like a steak, broiling in the oven. If you're in DFW, Sprouts will run these on sale from time to time for a very reasonable price, as will Kroger/Tom Thumb. Central Market has a great fish counter, but you definitely pay more for the quality on these nicer fishes there.
ksp
Squirrel Master said:

We eat a lot of salmon, one to two times a week. It cooks easy in a skillet, but grilling and baking work well too. We often times dress it up with either some salsa or hot sauce, or occasionally just some seasoning like cayenne or a general steak seasoning that I think is just a pepper/salt/garlic mixture.

Tuna and swordfish are an occasional buy for us, and they are delicious. We cook it like a steak, broiling in the oven. If you're in DFW, Sprouts will run these on sale from time to time for a very reasonable price, as will Kroger/Tom Thumb. Central Market has a great fish counter, but you definitely pay more for the quality on these nicer fishes there.
For salmon I used a bourbon glaze. Make salmon really good.
biobioprof
BEaggie08 said:

2 Tbsp fresh basil
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup white whine
2 Mahi filets
salt
pepper
Autocorrect?

Or a recipe for the Politics Board?
biobioprof
ksp said:

Squirrel Master said:

For salmon I used a bourbon glaze. Make salmon really good.
If you aren't making your own sauces, we're fans of Fischer and Wieser's Mango Ginger Habanero Sauce.

Fisher and Wieser is a Texas company run by Ags. I knew Jenny Wieser when she was here getting her PhD.
BEaggie08
AG
biobioprof said:

BEaggie08 said:

2 Tbsp fresh basil
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup white whine
2 Mahi filets
salt
pepper
Autocorrect?

Or a recipe for the Politics Board?
Lol! Oops.
End Of Message
AG
http://www.maceospice.com/product/seafood-seasoning/
HouseDivided06
AG
We buy Costco salmon all the time, and I grill it using Soy Vey's Very Very Teriyaki. Get the grill nice and hot and do maybe 3-4 minutes per side tops so nice and medium rare. Everyone I have ever made this for raves about it, including my dad who doesn't love fish. Pair with some squash or zucchini or sweet potatoes, or I will grill asparagus along with it. Excellent. For white fish, I generally get something like cod, halibut, or orange roughy, do a light coat of olive oil, sprinkle some garlic salt and crushed red pepper, then coat in parmasean and pan fry it.
rononeill
For salmon:
salt
garlic powder
paprika
(optional honey)
olive oil

in a ripping hot skillet. 2-3 minutes flesh side down. 3-4 minutes skin side down covered. you'll learn how to tell when its done. lemon juice once its on the plate.

For shrimp:
salt
garlic powder
Italian seasoning (the bulk stuff from HEB)
olive oil
lemon juice
in a bowl

skewer it, ripping hot grill; 2-3 minutes each side; serve with rice and grilled veggies
you can skillet this also; serve with rice and roasted cherry tomatos and zucchini.

tuna:
poke is da bomb. do this one to learn: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/tuna-poke
then experiment.

pro tips:
- all wild all the time (except mussels)
- Argentinian shrip
- never tilapia
- never tilapia
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.