Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Bolners in San Antonio

6,141 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texasgrunt
jgh85Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am visiting a buddy if mine in northwest Arkansas this weekend. Before I left town, he asked me to pick up 3 akaushi bone in ribeyes. Grilled them up tonight. These are the best steaks I have had for the price. Not cheap at $29 per pound, but seriously good meat.
End Of Message
AG
Bolners
Jack Burton
AG
Bolner's
Comanche
schmendeler
AG
The spice company?
EFE
AG
Need to pick up some of their chicken diablos next time you're there. They are the spicy tits.
Matsui
AG
They have a meat market
schmendeler
AG
Interesting. I really like their uncle Chris' seasoning. Especially on pork tenderloin.
TxAgg07
AG
The owner posts here. I can't remember his name though.
RK
AG
Mike073
MookieBlaylock
AG
Yep i posted once that my HEB hadnt had uncle chris seasoning in a month

It was on the shelves the next day

Great seasoning been meaning to get to the market
The Reverse Apache Master
AG
Every time I went in there, I made sure I wore one of my Aggie caps and they would immediately assist me upon seeing it, regardless of how far back in the line I was.
mike073
AG
Bolner's Meat Market and Bolner's Fiesta Brand Spices are two distinct businesses with no common ownership. We are in fact cousins going back to before 1914 when the current building was constructed. The meat market is now operated by the youngest son of the youngest of 8 siblings raised upstairs above the meat market. My grandpa was one of those 8. My dad worked there for a few years after graduating in 1949 from A&M. After a few years in the Army, he purchased and then began operating the spice company in 1955.
Gig 'em Aggies!

jgh85Ag
AG
Thanks for the info. I support both when I can.

The bbq shrimp seasoning is tremendous. For those that have not tried it, I highly recommend it. Not sure if I have seen it at HEB. I usually get it at Bolner's or Granzin's.
mike073
AG
River Road BBQ shrimp seasoning is only at select accounts East of Houston and the two you mentioned around San Antonio.
Gig 'em Aggies!

Beckdiesel03
AG
I will now be taking a trip to granzins
schmendeler
AG
Was uncle Chris one of the eight?
Thriller
AG
Need to get some Fiesta Brand Spices up in Colorado!

I buy out the locall Walmarts and Academy whenever I get back to Amarillo or Houston.
jgh85Ag
AG
My buddy in Arkansas does mail order for the fiesta spices.
mike073
AG
We have sets in both Colorado and Arkansas. Not as many as Texas but we are available. Where are you folks located?.
Gig 'em Aggies!

Thriller
AG
South Denver suburbs...Highlands Ranch
texag06ish
AG
mike073 said:

Bolner's Meat Market and Bolner's Fiesta Brand Spices are two distinct businesses with no common ownership. We are in fact cousins going back to before 1914 when the current building was constructed. The meat market is now operated by the youngest son of the youngest of 8 siblings raised upstairs above the meat market. My grandpa was one of those 8. My dad worked there for a few years after graduating in 1949 from A&M. After a few years in the Army, he purchased and then began operating the spice company in 1955.

I now like Fiesta Brand spices even more. Garlic pepper is my go to seasoning.
mike073
AG
Thriller - look at either of the WSCs in Centennial: 16746 E Smoky Hill Road or 10900 E Briarwood Ave. Just got set up there last month. Thanks.
Gig 'em Aggies!

Thriller
AG
Thanks. They will need a reorder shortly!
Shelton98
AG
I had no idea that Fiesta was Aggie owned... I always assumed it was out of Mexico since it's on the aisle with all the other Mexican stuff at my local Walmart. The Chicken Fajita Seasoning is crazy good.
caddy
Mike073 - Will the lunch counter ever re-open at the meat market? Was always a highlight to go eat lunch there.
mike073
AG
You will have to ask my cousins. I think the issue was when beef got so outrageous, no one wanted to pay $15 for a good plate of BBQ. Well, not enough folks anyway. High beef prices actually helps the seasoning business. People trade down on quality and sprinkle on more.
Gig 'em Aggies!

jgh85Ag
AG
Then from what I have read, you are not going to have a good summer.
mike073
AG
Cheaper meat means more consumption of meat and therefore more seasoning. We try to make it work well in any environment.
Gig 'em Aggies!

Matsui
AG
$15 for a great plate of BBQ isn't expensive
rwtxag83
AG
schmendeler said:

Was uncle Chris one of the eight?
Uncle Chris is Mike's baby brother, Clifton's youngest son.
schmendeler
AG
Good to know. Just used a healthy amount last night on some pork chops!
CyAg
AG
Some good info here folks. Been using the brand for years and didn't realize the company background. I just went online and ordered a few of the items that have been discussed (along with some fancy light chili powder that the Cypress HEB was out of - inconceivable right?).

Here's the site:

https://www.fiestaspices.com/

mike073, you guys thinking about a chipotle powder or toasted/roasted onion bits?
mike073
AG
Cy - You probably would like the Chipotle Hamburger seasoning appearing around the state over the past few months. It has been doing well since introduction.
Gig 'em Aggies!

javajaws
AG
I buy whole tenderloins from Restaurant Depot, slice them up into filets then sprinkle Uncle Chris' steak seasoning on them. It's my secret ingredient to mouth watering steaks.

I love that stuff!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.