Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Hillbillly haute cuisine

1,666 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ToddyHill
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great morning in the mountains of West By Gawd.

Freshly shot-in-the-face turkey, bacon, and ramp burgers with aged white cheddar, horseradish, pickle and mater on a kings hawaiian bun.

Fat, dumb, and happy right now.
JTMW
AG
Speaking of Wild Turkeys..............

In southern Oregon, they apparently don't know they are supposed to be wary, wily and difficult to hunt. These birds were imported from Texas a couple of decades ago & they are everywhere. Almost like geese in the park.

The love the urban life & have become a nuisance by flying into power lines and causing outages and tearing up shake roofs. Kinda cool to see them walking around though.

FWIW
Jaime the Migrant Worker '63. Re: Authentic Texas Cuisine. Ya think there was kosher salt on the Chisolm Trail?
Max Power
AG
You sir have been uninformed on how to properly make a turkey burger, watch this video on how it is correctly done.

ToddyHill
AG
Never heard of Ramps until a week ago when a co-worker brought several, which he dug in the mountains around Gatlinburg. Wow, what a treat!
AggieChemist
AG
ToddyHill said:

Never heard of Ramps until a week ago when a co-worker brought several, which he dug in the mountains around Gatlinburg. Wow, what a treat!
I LOVE ramps. They signal spring, and they're quite the delicacy in the Appalachians. They are pretty much the first green thing to stick their head above ground after a long winter, and for the pioneers, they were a lifesaver after nearly six months with no produce. Ramp festivals are a widespread occurrence around here throughout April... there is one six miles from home today.

They're a bit like a hot garlic green onion. I use them in any recipe that calls for garlic or green onion, and even love them fried whole in lard and lightly salted.

This morning, I had morel, bacon and ramp hashbrowns for breakfast.

Ramps are becoming a "thing" on the foodie scene now, but they're old news in these hills.

http://www.eater.com/2015/4/10/8384255/everything-youve-always-wanted-to-know-about-ramps

For me, ramps, morels and wild turkey are harbingers of spring.
ToddyHill
AG
Great article AC!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.