Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

10 Commandments of Gumbo

9,928 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BusterAg
Rusty GCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://973thedawg.com/the-ten-commandments-of-gumbo/

#8 is my personal peeve.
Bruce Almighty
AG
When I make gumbo at home, its chicken, sausage and shrimp.
Rusty GCS
AG
That's unfortunate
Potcake
AG
It has been awhile since a gumbo free-for-all but did you have to start one during Holy Week?

I don't use file or potato salad.
Belton Ag
AG
Nothing like a good old-fasioned TexAgs gumbo fight.
rilloaggie
rilloaggie
AG
Yep, I'm definitely taking my culinary advice from a FM dj...
Cancelled
AG
No other cuisine than Cajun has so many stupid rules of what you can and can't do. It's really ridiculous...people just make crap up. People from Louisiana get pissy when outsiders make "their" food.

I put paprika in my jambalaya. I had a moron tell me "I've never seen red jambalaya...that's not jambalaya"...just when finished saying that his little daughter came into the kitchen for her third helping.
Rusty GCS
AG
I would take your opinion of Cajun food more seriously if you weren't named "queso"
Cancelled
AG
Lol
BMX Bandit
If I decide in a pinch I want gumbo, I use store bought roux. Its very tasty and I have no regrets.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Didn't Rusty awhile ago post a recipe with sticking a roast in a crock pot with a package of ranch dressing mix?
Rusty GCS
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Didn't Rusty awhile ago post a recipe with sticking a roast in a crock pot with a package of ranch dressing mix?

Yeah. But I'm born and bred coonass. I take my gumbo much more serious
Bulldog73
AG
I agree with 9/10. Douget's roux is still better than any I've made. That being said, for a Beaumont coonass, my gumbo turns out pretty good.

I had a buddy who's mom always made a legit Cajun chicken and rice with gravy. I always wanted to learn how she made it. It was like roast consistency. My biggest cooking conundrum.
schmellba99
AG
Havent read the article, but going to guess at least 4 of them are crap.
schmellba99
AG
After reading, at least 5 of them are just silly.
DiskoTroop
My deep coon ass mother in law makes a DAMN fine chicken rice and gravy. My wife makes a damn good version of it too... I'll see if I can get the recipe out of her for you.
schmellba99
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

My deep coon ass mother in law makes a DAMN fine chicken rice and gravy. My wife makes a damn good version of it too... I'll see if I can get the recipe out of her for you.

This piques my interest....
62strat
AG
queso1 said:

People from Louisiana get pissy when outsiders make "their" food.

kinda like Texans and their brisket.

Of all my relatives in and from Louisiana, not one gumbo (or any dish for that matter) tastes the same (even very different) but we all eat and enjoy them all. Same with crawfish. Sure, people like their way (otherwise why would they make it like that) but we know it can be good done other ways.

My experience anyway, with a few dozen native Louisianans between my immediate and extended family
MichaelJ
AG
Potato salad in gumbo is gross. I tried it. Don't care for it one bit
Martin Cash
AG
No. 11: Must have okra. 'Gumbo' means 'okra.'

Gumbo without okra is like chili without pepper.
752bro4
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

If it is anything like your Italian grandmother's marinara sauce...

AlaskanAg99
AG
We do a chicken and sausage gumbo with a house made dry roux. It does loose some of the depth of flavor without the oil, but it's healthier. Personally I love tossing in a pound of crawfish peeled tails, the seafood really adds depth, but the wife is not a fan. At least now she's eats crawfish, small victories...
Bruce Almighty
AG
BQ75 said:

Or file powder. You can make an argument comes from either.
Potcake
AG
BQ75 said:

And, away we go!!
Rusty GCS
AG
Gumbo can be made with any of 3 thickeners - okra, roux, or file'

schmellba99
AG
Rusty GCS said:

Gumbo can be made with any of 3 thickeners - okra, roux, or file'

Not sure I can agree that gumbo without a roux is gumbo. Okra and file are optional (IMO) ingredients - but roux is pretty much the base of gumbo and is not optional.
n_touch
Quote:

Is it a thick gravy? We do a smothered chicken and gravy but it is done with a thinner gravy.
Rusty GCS
AG
that can be your opinion but that doesn't make it true. It's not uncommon to not have roux in okra gumbo
biobioprof
Rusty GCS said:

that can be your opinion but that doesn't make it true. It's not uncommon to not have roux in okra gumbo
And oddly, of the three thickeners, roux is the only one that isn't considered a possible origin for the word "gumbo
Quote:

The dish likely derived its name from either a word from a Bantu language for okra (ki ngombo) or the Choctaw word for fil (kombo).
I don't pretend to be authentic, so I use all 3, with chicken, sausage, and shrimp.
DiskoTroop
752bro4 said:

phideaux_2003 said:

If it is anything like your Italian grandmother's marinara sauce...

Haha yeah yeah keep talking. That shiz (her pasta gravy) was awesome.

Schmellba - Details incoming...
DiskoTroop
n_touch said:

Quote:

Is it a thick gravy? We do a smothered chicken and gravy but it is done with a thinner gravy.

It's a thinner gravy. Basically heavily cooked down vegetables in chicken stock.
Bulldog73
AG
I'm still waiting on a recipe!
rwv2055
AG
biobioprof said:

Rusty GCS said:

And oddly, of the three thickeners, roux is the only one that isn't considered a possible origin for the word "gumbo
Quote:

The dish likely derived its name from either a word from a Bantu language for okra (ki ngombo) or the Choctaw word for fil (kombo).
I don't pretend to be authentic, so I use all 3, with chicken, sausage, and shrimp.

I also use all three, but I put the file on the table for people to add for themselves.
schmellba99
AG
Maybe. But i wouldnt call it gumbo. Without roux, it is a soup or stew. My opinion, of course.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.