Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Fido's Carne Guisada

9,321 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fav13andac1)c
ArlingtonAg2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Craving some Carne Guisada for supper tonight. I see several mentions of "Fido's" recipe but am unable to find it (searching +guisada +fido).

Anyone have Fido's Carne Guisada recipe and care to share?

Thanks!

chipotle
https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2119344
fav13andac1)c
AG
"
First take about 2lbs of stew meat and season it with salt. Sear the crap out of it and reserve.

Now in the same pot take a sliced onion and sautee it up until just tender and add in a few whole cloves of garlic**. Return meat to pot, add a couple of torn dried chile pods, and cover with water (about 2-3 cups). Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of oregano. Simmer this for about 2-3 hours until the meat is tender. Once again remove meat. Take liquid and puree in a blender

Part Two!

This may look familiar if you know how to make enchiladas properly

1/4 cup Oil
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cumin
2 T chile powder (I prefer Gebhardt's for guisada if you go store bought)
1 Tbsp Tomato paste

Make a light tan roux with the oil and flour. Add in everything else except tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add in tomato paste and reserved liquid puree and stir until combined and thickened. Add beef and adjust consistency with water or chicken stock. Simmer everything together for another 20 minutes or so.

It's cliche, but, in this case holds very true. If you make it a day ahead of time and heat to serve the following day it will taste much better.

**If you like it hot you could also add in some serranos or jalapenos at this point. Again, are you looking for personal preference or copycat restaurant style? CG is not typically a very spicy dish when served at a restaurant"

Have made it several times
JYDog90
AG
Can I use pork instead of beef?
MichaelJ
AG
Sure. But then it isn't carne guisada
FIDO*98*
AG
I made some a couple weeks ago. We ate all the meat out and I froze the sauce so right now I've got some seared meat in the sous vide getting tender and I'm going to see how it works adding it back to the sauce.
Normally I take the leftover Guisada sauce and use it on some picadillo enchiladas which is always really good.

The biggest difference between my Guisada today and that original recipe is that I buy boneless short ribs and cut to stew size meat. It seems like whatever cuts they use for stew these days end up pretty dry and stringy

March 5

From 2009

Na Zdraví 87
AG
Fall92
AG
willie wonka said:

You're making carnitas.

My Dad used to make some killer carne guisada. I found out what his secret ingredient was- cubed top sirloin.
FIDO*98*
AG
willie wonka said:

Fall92 said:

You're making carnitas.

That would most definitely not be Carnitas. I wouldn't call it Guisada either
rlb28
AG
HEB has the most tender carne guisada in a package. I buy it then put in tomatoes, onions, etc..
chipotle
FIDO*98* said:

willie wonka said:

Fall92 said:

You're making carnitas.

Carne Adovada?
RGV AG
AG
chipotle said:

FIDO*98* said:

willie wonka said:

Fall92 said:

You're making carnitas.

Carne Adovada?
Really would be closer to the Norteno version of Asado de Puerco, but would be more brown gravy than the redder guajillo based sauce that is most common in Asado de Puerco.
Bulldog73
AG
What types of chile pods do you use? This looks incredible.
luke7203
The Friday special at the taco bus near my house is puerco guisado (thought the o was interesting). It is freakin fantastic
B-1 83
AG
Ttt
Tailgate88
AG
Made this last summer and I think it's time for another pot. Came out fantastic!
MarylandAG
Since the topic of beef versus pork came up, I wiill give my take, this is just my opinion and what I grew up with in Zapata, TX, to me guisada or guidaso is not really a specific dish but rather a method of cooking so you can have carne guisada, pollo guisado, guisado de puerco and even veggies like calabaza guisada. Just my take
B-1 83
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

F"
First take about 2lbs of stew meat and season it with salt. Sear the crap out of it and reserve.

Now in the same pot take a sliced onion and sautee it up until just tender and add in a few whole cloves of garlic**. Return meat to pot, add a couple of torn dried chile pods, and cover with water (about 2-3 cups). Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of oregano. Simmer this for about 2-3 hours until the meat is tender. Once again remove meat. Take liquid and puree in a blender

Part Two!

This may look familiar if you know how to make enchiladas properly

1/4 cup Oil
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cumin
2 T chile powder (I prefer Gebhardt's for guisada if you go store bought)
1 Tbsp Tomato paste

Make a light tan roux with the oil and flour. Add in everything else except tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add in tomato paste and reserved liquid puree and stir until combined and thickened. Add beef and adjust consistency with water or chicken stock. Simmer everything together for another 20 minutes or so.

It's cliche, but, in this case holds very true. If you make it a day ahead of time and heat to serve the following day it will taste much better.

**If you like it hot you could also add in some serranos or jalapenos at this point. Again, are you looking for personal preference or copycat restaurant style? CG is not typically a very spicy dish when served at a restaurant"

Have made it several times
Any preference for the dried chili pods? Ancho? New Mexico? Cascaval? Starting a pot this morning for tonight's festivities.
Tailgate88
AG
^^^^ Bump. Going to make this again tomorrow and wondering what kind of chili pods to try for this particular recipe.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Ancho, Guajillo, or New Mexico are all good choices
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.