Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Carne Guisada

40,860 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by BusterAg
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So tomorrow I'm making Carne Guisada for the family. I've made it before a few times and it's great; but I'd like to compare with any of you that would be willing to share your recipes or tips.
Max06
AG
4# beef roast, cut into 1" cubes
4Tbs oil
1 onion, diced
5-6 cloves minced garlic
3-4 medium size tomatoes, or a can of diced tomatoes
2 jalapenos
2 serranos
1 Tbs cumino
1 Tbs chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1/2 of a bunch of cilantro
1 bay leaf
2c water or stock
1 bottle/can of a dark beer
salt to taste

brown beef in 1/2 the oil, remove & set aside. Saute vegetables in remaining oil. Add back to the pot and add remainder of ingredients. Simmer for 5-6 hours until the beef is tender & stringy. You may want to add some flour or corn starch to thicken up the gravy.
B-1 83
AG
^
|
|
has serious merit. Similar to mine. I'll take a dried ancho, boil it for a short time, deseed, then blend with some stock until smooth, and add it to the mix.
HDeathstar
Now this board is talking!
Campfire Soul
A word about that recipe. When you brown the meat, you should do it in batches. If you crowd the pan the meat will sweat and they won't brown.
ShinerBlonde
AG
That's the same recipe from The Homesick Texan's website. In her cookbook she added 1/2 a chopped green bell pepper to the recipe. Both ways are excellent. Made it yesterday for dinner.
Belton Ag
AG
That's interesting. I've never thought of adding beer. I toast cumino seeds, coriander seed and black peppercorns in a skillet over the fire until they start to smoke then grind them in my molcajete. I also use ground New Mexico chilis instead of store bought chili powder.

I've seen so many different recipes for Guisada, it seems to be a dish that's open to interpretation.
FIDO*98*
AG
Belton, If you're looking for a true restaurant style guisada give this a shot. It's a two part process and will taste like what you get in a mexican taqueria

First take about 2lbs of stew meat and season it with salt. Sear the crap out of it and reserve.

Now in the same pot take a sliced onion and sautee it up until just tender and add in a few whole cloves of garlic**. Return meat to pot, add a couple of torn dried chile pods, and cover with water (about 2-3 cups). Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of oregano. Simmer this for about 2-3 hours until the meat is tender. Once again remove meat. Take liquid and puree in a blender

Part Two!

This may look familiar if you know how to make enchiladas properly

1/4 cup Oil
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cumin
2 T chile powder (I prefer Gebhardt's for guisada if you go store bought)
1 Tbsp Tomato paste

Make a light tan roux with the oil and flour. Add in everything else except tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add in tomato paste and reserved liquid puree and stir until combined and thickened. Add beef and adjust consistency with water or chicken stock. Simmer everything together for another 20 minutes or so.

It's cliche, but, in this case holds very true. If you make it a day ahead of time and heat to serve the following day it will taste much better.

**If you like it hot you could also add in some serranos or jalapenos at this point. Again, are you looking for personal preference or copycat restaurant style? CG is not typically a very spicy dish when served at a restaurant

[This message has been edited by Gruene town FIDO (edited 7/21/2012 8:32p).]
Belton Ag
AG
That looks fantastic. I'm familiar with part two for sure. I make beef enchilada sauce with approx the same recipe except I'll add just a pinch of cinnamon.

I can't really do too spicy. The wife is 8 months preggo and for some reason right now ground pepper is spicy to her.

[This message has been edited by Belton ag (edited 7/22/2012 8:48a).]
fuzzyfan
AG
Blue diamond for what appears to be a kick a$$ recipe.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Duncan Idaho
I will be trying fido's either tonight or tomorrow
Belton Ag
AG
I used FIDOs method of cooking the meat. It was excellent, fork tender and seasoned well. For the gravy I used the purée, 1 tbs of Ground New Mexico Chili, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 2 tsp of cumin seed, 1 tsp peppercorns, 1/2 tsp coriander seed all toasted and ground, 1 1/2 tsp of kosher salt,
1 tsp of paprika. I also used diced bell pepper, onion and tomato.

The wife helped me make the flour tortillas, and I made rice and beans to go with it.

Outstanding
Duncan Idaho
Followed Fido's recipe and it was awesome.

NC2001
AG
quote:
Followed Fido's recipe and it was awesome.

+1

Made this last night for dinner and it was a hit.
SoTXAg09
AG
nm

[This message has been edited by Thunder Razor (edited 7/30/2012 4:18p).]
fuzzyfan
AG
I got a little heavy handed with the salt, but Fido's recipe is spot on. Very tasty.
B-1 83
AG
I'm making a double batch of FIDO's this evening and freezing it down for deer camp this weekend.

[This message has been edited by B-1 83 (edited 8/28/2012 11:44a).]
B-1 83
AG
Outstanding!
mattvswild
AG
Bump to say I used Fido's recipe top make carne guisada today. We're eating it tomorrow, but the initial tasting is fantastic. And much needed, too, since we moved out of state and good Mexican food has become harder to find.

Thanks!
RachAg2007
AG
Followed Fido's recipe this weekend. Excellent.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Bump so I can take a screen shot of Fido's recipe with my Iphone. Next food project! I have learned tenfold from the posters on the Food and Spirits board this semester than I had ever known previously.

That being said, this will probably be my toughest cook yet. Hope I can pull it off.
B-1 83
AG
TTT
Red Krow
Made FIDO's last night. My initial taste tests last night were great. Having it for dinner tonight.

There was another lady looking for the same Chili Powder FIDO suggested at Kroger last night. Didn't think to ask if she saw the same recipe on here until after I walked away.
fav13andac1)c
AG
quote:
Belton, If you're looking for a true restaurant style guisada give this a shot. It's a two part process and will taste like what you get in a mexican taqueria

First take about 2lbs of stew meat and season it with salt. Sear the crap out of it and reserve.

Now in the same pot take a sliced onion and sautee it up until just tender and add in a few whole cloves of garlic**. Return meat to pot, add a couple of torn dried chile pods, and cover with water (about 2-3 cups). Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of oregano. Simmer this for about 2-3 hours until the meat is tender. Once again remove meat. Take liquid and puree in a blender

Part Two!

This may look familiar if you know how to make enchiladas properly

1/4 cup Oil
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cumin
2 T chile powder (I prefer Gebhardt's for guisada if you go store bought)
1 Tbsp Tomato paste

Make a light tan roux with the oil and flour. Add in everything else except tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add in tomato paste and reserved liquid puree and stir until combined and thickened. Add beef and adjust consistency with water or chicken stock. Simmer everything together for another 20 minutes or so.

It's cliche, but, in this case holds very true. If you make it a day ahead of time and heat to serve the following day it will taste much better.

**If you like it hot you could also add in some serranos or jalapenos at this point. Again, are you looking for personal preference or copycat restaurant style? CG is not typically a very spicy dish when served at a restaurant

[This message has been edited by Gruene town FIDO (edited 7/21/2012 8:32p).]

Got this simmering at the moment. 2-3 cups of water wasn't enough to cover it. After its done simmering, should I take out some of the liquid when I go to blend it?
Duncan Idaho
Made this again this weekend.

Excellent as aways. Everyone that tries it absolutely loves it.
Harwood
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Made FIDO's yesterday. It was excellent, I will definitely add a little more heat next time with a pepper or three.
AustinAgChef
quote:
After its done simmering, should I take out some of the liquid when I go to blend it?

I'm not Fido but yes, you should probably remove some of the liquid. It's a whole hell of a lot easier to add more water to thin out than it is to get back to that gravy consistency.
BourbonOTR
I tend to judge a mexican restaraunt on their Carne Guisada. That said, I've had some that were more of a brown gravy, and others had more of a red gravy. Is Fido's recipe more brown or is it more tomato based?

I love Carne Guisada but have never made it myself....think that is on the meal plan for Thursday now ! Thanks Food Forum.
fav13andac1)c
AG
quote:
I'm not Fido but yes, you should probably remove some of the liquid. It's a whole hell of a lot easier to add more water to thin out than it is to get back to that gravy consistency.

I ended up just leaving some of the liquid in the blender and it turned out great.
fav13andac1)c
AG
And Bourbon, see for yourself
The tomato paste doesn't really add much to the flavor profile. It just thickened it up a little for me, and that's the only tomato based product in the recipe.

[This message has been edited by fav13andac1)c (edited 1/29/2013 1:10p).]
BourbonOTR
ah yes! a brown gravy. Perfect! Does look like too much liquid though.
fav13andac1)c
AG
quote:
Does look like too much liquid though.

I agree with you on that one. It took me more cups of water to cover than anticipated. Next time I plan on using a smaller pot, or discarding 2 cups of the liquid after simmering.
amanda04
AG
Question for all those who have made this...In the first part, what kind of dried chili pods did you all use?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.