Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best beer for the guy with deadly hangovers..

7,983 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Busch League
RedlineAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think this is called getting old. My wife used to laugh at me because she'd have more than me and be fine. and now she's 28 and feels the pain too..

I drink 2 margaritas every Friday. At that level I can be functional on Saturday. If I feel froggy and order a 3rd the I can't get off the couch the next day.

Same for beer. 2-3 and I'm fine, but 4+ means goodbye to the rest of the weekend.

The real ***** is when those hangovers start stretching into day two.
RK
AG
That might be the saddest thing I have ever read.
bigtruckguy3500
Is the issue beer specifically? And is it correlated directly with the amount of alcohol you drink? Like if you drank Everclear or something similar super high in alcohol content, would a very tiny amount make you miserable? Some people are hypersensitive to alcohol, and you may be one of them.

I've never had non-alcholic beer, so I don't know how it tastes, but maybe you could consider one of those if you just desire to drink something with the word "beer" on it. Otherwise, just give it up. Doesn't sound worth it at all to me.
He Gotta Touchdown!
AG
1. I'm 27 too, and you're definitely a *****.

2. Drink water all day before drinking and a cup of water for every beer you drink and you'll be fine the next day.

It's hard to believe you haven't figured out that you feel like **** because you're dehydrated.
BullSprig07
AG
https://m.imgur.com/NHQTDa9?r
ATM9000
AG
MichaelJ90 said:

Thread correction. I do enjoy some craft beers, I'm getting skewered as not "liking" beer. I love beer. My favorite thing is Shiner ruby redbird when it gets hot as hell. When I said craft beers, I mainly meant IPA's and that dark *****

Im no *****, I love to have a good time, I just really pay for it the next day it seems, and the occurrence of headaches when I drink beer is a huge buzz kill. The next day stuff is on me, but if I drink 6 beers I shouldn't be deathly I'll the next day.

I've got a wife and 2 kids and am older than you. I'll say this from my own experience: hangovers get worse when you are older and have kids and a wife. Stress is a bit higher and let's be honest: being a Dad is exhausting especially if you have a really young child.

Sounds boring but if you really want to get after it (and 6 beers is sort of getting after it no matter what anybody says), you need to really plan. Get some rest ahead of going out and plan to be able to have a slower next day. Eat something ahead of drinking then try to have a solid meal while you drink (so important) and pace your beers. If you do water/beer switch offs and eat, I guarantee you'll not want a ton of beer and still have fun. Another secret I've found to avoiding hangovers: try to stay up and pretty much sober before going to sleep. If I don't do that, what happens is I'll sleep for like 3-4 hours, wake up in the middle of the night and won't be able to go back to sleep which contributes heavily to feeling like dogcrap. My first stop when I get home now from drinking is almost always the coffee maker to give me a couple of hours before crashing out.

There's no magical beer or miracle remedy that fixes a hangover... these are then things that really help me though. My guess on your hangovers though based on your posts and stated situation is you generally go out with your single buddies, you guys don't eat, go liquid diet, you probably get yelled at by your wife when you get home, have to get up early to tend to your family and feel like ass all day because you have no time to really rest and recover more than anything else. End of the day I'd wager anything that you need to start drinking like a grown up vs. trying to keep up with your friends. Again, educated guess because I've been there and learned my lessons from it.
MookieBlaylock
AG
That's not true a proper swim cools the body and settles the brain and with dehydrating will fix a hangover

As will an intense workout
sanitariex
AG
Maybe......stop drinking
ATM9000
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

That's not true a proper swim cools the body and settles the brain and with dehydrating will fix a hangover

As will an intense workout

Dehydration is only a portion of the cause of a hangover. Drinking extra water to my understanding doesn't really help it since alcohol also just makes you pee more. drinking water between drinks is probably more of a factor to hangover preventing because it keeps your stomach fuller and you'll not rly want to drink as much. Hangovers are a combination of dehydration and lack of good sleep due to the body overproducing glutamine and alcohol wears off. You get a better night sleep if you metabolize all or most of your alcohol before you go to sleep and get your rest in vs letting your body replenish your glutamine while you try to sleep.

Good rest, Tylenol and/or drinking a Bloody Mary in the morning are about the only ways to actually beat a hangover.
Cancelled
AG
Tylenol with a hangover? Isn't that really bad?
BusterAg
AG
Things that are in beer that can cause a hangover:

1) Ethanol. Too much of this, from any source, and you are screwed. Also, the high blood-pressure thing is not uncommon at all, and can really cause some of the symptoms you are describing.

2) Gluten. Some people don't tolerate gluten well. Try some ciders. There are gluten free beers out there, too. O' mission aint too bad.

3) Acetaldehyde - this is a bi-product of your body converting ethanol into sugar. Unfortunately, some people's body's don't have the ability to break this thing down as much as others. If that is the case for you, then, I'm sorry, but you probably need to not drink a lot of alcohol. This genetic condition is much more common in Asians and Native Americans. You can get a genetic test to see if you have an acetaldehyde sensitivity.

4) Fusel alcohols - When fermentation occurs, other heavier alcohols are also created. Some people have very high sensitivities to some of these alcohols. If this is the case, then just keep trying different beers until you find one that doesn't bother you. Lagers like bud, miller, coors etc. are known to have a higher proportion of fusels than low temp ales. After ruling out #2 and #3, I would try some low ABV, clean ales that you like, stick to them for a night, and see how you do.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
weed
Burnsey
AG
It sounds like you have allergies. Maybe the hops or yeast.

schmendeler
AG
guys, I need help with fire ant stings. about 4 times a year I stick my hand in a fire ant bed. and they really bite the crap out of me. any help with soothing fire ant bites would be great. I love sticking my hand in the ant bed, so I just want some ideas on how to make the bites hurt less.
sanitariex
Seanzy2012
AG
I get this problem sometimes.

I drank a lot of craft and/or darker beers in college and kind of lost my appetite for heavy beers so I stick to the lighter or blonde beers and I don't really have an issue with it even more.

My day drinking beer used to be Coors but it started to give me headaches and made my jaw tingly but haven't had the issue after I switched to Miller (read up in might have been allergies).

I've also noticed that I don't get that feeling drinking liquor or stronger drinks, you just pace yourself with those.

My hangovers from beer are usually much worse than my liquor hangovers. Might have something to do with how full you get from the beer. Liquor it's a headache. Beer it's feverish and/or nausea.

Good luck.
Say Chowdah
AG
Serious answer 1:

Maybe switch to white wine?

Serious answer 2:

You CAN live without alcohol. If you feel some pressure to have something in your hand during social situations, try seltzer with a lime. Looks like a G&T.
cr
late to this thread...

has anyone suggested not drinking to the OP?

It sounds like a miserable experience regardless of the beer.

or maybe try wine instead. Or corn liquor.
cr
JYDog90
AG
schmendeler said:

guys, I need help with fire ant stings. about 4 times a year I stick my hand in a fire ant bed. and they really bite the crap out of me. any help with soothing fire ant bites would be great. I love sticking my hand in the ant bed, so I just want some ideas on how to make the bites hurt less.
You missed saying that you aren't a *****.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Try drinking a six pack of O'Douls. Seriously. If you still get sick it may be an intolerance of the grains.

If so, try some of the gluten free beers. I know HEBs usually have a gluten free section for beers.
Ag 11
AG
It's Coors Light. lol wow
cpscAG06
AG
If I am going to be participating in a bottle share. I always drink plenty of water and take 1 or 2 liver care capsules by Himalaya. They are great.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Also are you qualified to say your some his badass? Don't all dads think their some is badass?

A lot of it is about what you are used to, once you get out of the habit of drinking and going out 1-2 nights a week it's hard to adjust. If I am going to drink all day I am drinking some kind of light beer.
cr0wbar
AG
You hangover folks need to get your hands on some broccoli

YWIA
Busch League
Sounds like a hop allergy. Try Corona.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.