Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Slab Bacon in Houston

3,569 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by chaca5151
CDUB98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last time I went looking for it, I could not find it, even at the butcher shops I stopped by.

Anyone know where to get it in Houston?

Looking to make a recipe which calls for it

Thanks.
La Fours
AG
Might just need to pick up a pork belly and cure your own. Or see about ordering online.
Agz_2003
AG
It may be a little out of your way, but have you tried Fisher Ham & Meat Company in Spring?
Inspector Spacetime
AG
B&W Butchers on North Shepherd. They sell them with skin on by the slab and then you tell them how to cut it. In your case, just tell them not to slice it.
Here4Beer
AG
Smitty's Meat Market in Tomball.
CDUB98
AG
Inspector Spacetime said:

B&W Butchers on North Shepherd. They sell them with skin on by the slab and then you tell them how to cut it. In your case, just tell them not to slice it.
Actually, that was the first place I went since it is near my house. They said nope, nope, nope.
aggiebq03+
CDUB98 said:

Last time I went looking for it, I could not find it, even at the butcher shops I stopped by.

Anyone know where to get it in Houston?

Looking to make a recipe which calls for it

Thanks.

To quote someone:
Quote:

Dude, this is easy stuff to make, and for very cheap.

Buy some containers pork belly and make it yourself.
schmellba99
AG
Pork belly at Costco, cure and smoke it yourself. Easy and blows normal wet cured bacon out of the water.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Nvm it was pork belly
JFrench
AG
Thought i saw one in thr case at Harvest market in spring/woodlands. They have another location but not sure where it is
Tanya 93
Would it be cheaper to learn to make my own bacon?

If I could make a few pounds at a time, I wouldn't have to keep buying that crap.
FarmerJohn
AG
Central Market carries it.
CDUB98
AG
FarmerJohn said:

Central Market carries it.
Interesting.

I went there as well and they said nope, nope, nope.

I don't have a smoker. I know, I know.

I also don't need a large amount. Just 1/2 a pound.
La Fours
AG
If you want to drive to El Campo, Prasek's advertises slab bacon on their website. So does B&W. I'd call them and ask what the deal is.
chico
AG
item #2 on this page?
Burt's is awesome
I usually get the food to-go at Burt's, but they may have what you're looking for at the butcher counter
aggiebq03+
Tanya 93 said:

If I could make a few pounds at a time, I wouldn't have to keep buying that crap.

It's cheaper if you already have a smoker. I think I get pork belly for about $2.60/lb at Costco. Seems the bacon at the store is usually about $5 for the 12oz pack, so it's less than half price for the meat.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
You could try B&B Butchers. It's an upscale restaurant but I think they have a butcher shop as well. They have a whole appetizer that's all kinds of bacon so they might be worth a call at least.
NColoradoAG
Tanya 93 said:

It is definitely cheaper to make your own than purchase the good stuff at the store. Just takes a fair amount of time (7-10 days start to finish). Buying a whole belly and making 10 pounds at a time is the way to go if you have a vacuum sealer.

Also, you may not save any money because your bacon consumption will triple.
Mathguy64
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Its Tanya. Her bacon consumption will stay at 0 mg/meal.
chaca5151
NColoradoAG said:

Tanya 93 said:

It is definitely cheaper to make your own than purchase the good stuff at the store. Just takes a fair amount of time (7-10 days start to finish). Buying a whole belly and making 10 pounds at a time is the way to go if you have a vacuum sealer.

I agree! My wife and daughter can't get enough of the bacon I make. I have two whole slabs working in the fridge as we speak. I get ours from Costco, I had to get two to stock back up. We go to costco every other month and I get one.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.