Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Birria?

1,463 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by RGV AG
momlaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is a Jalisco style goat stew. I saw it first on Saveur. When planning to make it tomorrow or Sunday preparation research found this on Almost Fearless. Similar but different. First has tomatillos and a easier process. The second has many more spices, heavier pepper presence, no tomatillos, more arduous sauce prep.

Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh, if you are in Aggieland and want some goat the rest of this one is at Tower Point aka Navasota HEB.
RGV AG
AG
Birria is very good most of the time. The true Jalisco Birria I have always enjoyed, I have never made it, but usually the Mexican ingredients that go into it include some chocolate, cinnamon, and marjoram as well. It takes a while to make the sauce. Also, I like mine served with diced radishes and I prefer the majority of the oregano on the side. I do hope it comes out good. It is an underrated dish in my opinion.
momlaw
AG
Have researched it quite a bit after seeing the differing recipes. Conclusion, it is highly a highly variable personal recipe, like most Texas Chili aficionados. Plan is to use the Suaver template adding the spices from the other for complexity. We'll see. At least my guests will understand I am a risk taker and they are the jury, perhaps unwitting victims.
RGV AG
AG
momlaw said:

Have researched it quite a bit after seeing the differing recipes. Conclusion, it is highly a highly variable personal recipe, like most Texas Chili aficionados. Plan is to use the Suaver template adding the spices from the other for complexity. We'll see. At least my guests will understand I am a risk taker and they are the jury, perhaps unwitting victims.
Sounds like a winner, I glanced at that recipe. The only thing I would suggest is that you throw a couple of bay leaves in there and maybe boil and puree a couple of dried "chile anchos" (most HEB's and any Mex. meat market will have them) to add the deeper purple/black color. If you take out the seeds and clean them well they will not add much if any spice. The picture of that Suaver Birria is pale compared to what I have eaten in the past, that might be my only concern.

Stew it long and let it reduced down some. The best Birria's I have had always were a little thicker, the ones that were thinner were usually made early in the day and hadn't yet absorbed or come to that stew consistency. The goat meat will taste better the longer it cooks, of that I am sure. Quite a few places in Mexico make it out of lesser cuts of beef and I have also had it out of mutton, which I do not recommend as I am convinced Mexico might be the crappiest producer of lamb/mutton on the planet. Maybe North Korea is worse, but I am not sure.

I compliment you on trying a very traditional, and actually quite good, dish to make. I hope it turns out well and I am sure it will.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.