Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Cryovac lamb smells like ass.

43,538 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I bought a lamb rack today that was cryovaced. When I opened the package, it smelled putrid. Not so much rotten, but sulfery and burned motor oil. I returned it immediately, and got something else. After doing some research, this smell may be more common than I realize, and the meat was likely fine. Regardless, it didn't pas the smell test.
Has this happened to anyone else, or am I just overly sensitive to this smell?
momlaw
AG
I have had this happen with a variety of meats in cryovac, especially lamb.
You are correct it is a gaggingly rancid smelling, though after airing, marinating, cooking seems fine.
I make certain no one is around when I open it.
Sooner Born
I've had it with pork butts and brisket and both turned out fine after cooking.
Post removed:
by user
AggieGunslinger
AG
I had it happen once with a pork butt, I just tossed it. I couldn't stomach eating it after that smell.
Vernada
AG
Never been able to squire the taste for lamb anyway.
Say Chowdah
AG
Was housting a game party and the choice was Guinness stew.

Opened the lamb and it punched me in the face! I washed it and then marinated it before dicing. Tossed it in flour and then in oil. The smell was awful.

I dumped the entire thing as I couldn't serve it to guests as the smell was too strong.

I think the age at slaughter has something to do with it. The closer to the one year mark, the more it resembles mutton.
AgsMnn
AG
Usually, when something is vacuum packaged, it will develop a smell due to the lack of oxygen. Usually it is a lactic acid/sour smell.

Next time, let it sit in the open air a little bit. If it still stinks, then you have an issue.
Joe Exotic
AG
Sheep between ages 1 and 2 are technically considered hoggets and some still sell it as lamb.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
ALL lamb smells like ass.
FIFY...
RK
AG
same issue w/ some ground lamb last week. went right in the trash.
Sooner Born
quote:
same issue w/ some ground lamb last week. went right in the trash.
I think ground meat is a different animal. If it stinks, it's tossed immediately.
tsuag10
AG
AgsMnn was spot on.

The smell is caused by bacteria growing in the package. The types of bacteria that produce the 'sulfur' and 'putrid' odors are not harmful, and should not make you sick. However, they will definitely have an effect on the odor and flavor of the end product if they are too bad.
Grego2007
AG
Have definitely had this issue with pork butts. Rinsed and dried them and most of the smell went away. No noticeable odor after about an hour on the smoker.
moses1084ever
AG
Never appreciated lamb till moving to Singapore. All my Australian friends got me eating it. Aussie lamb is much higher quality and does not have the flavor/smells that I've experienced with lamb in the us. In Australia, lamb is cheeeeap!!
BusterAg
AG
When have you bought cryovaced donkey?
htxag09
AG
We had this with a roast recently. Cooked it anyway. Don't know if it was mental but it tasted awful. We tossed it after a couple bites.
Bruce Almighty
AG
There's a fine line between lamb being amazing and being awful. I pretty much feel the same way about duck.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.