Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Makin' Bacon

36,724 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Two Down
AustinAgChef
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Picked up a nice pork belly at HEB a few weeks ago and decided it was time to make some bacon as it had been a while. Half of the belly was a pretty basic cure and the other half was a chipotle-brown sugar.

The results speak for themselves:

HTownAg98
Ron Swanson approves.
Sazerac
AG
i'm more impressed with your knife skills
Max Power
AG
Nice work, I also make bacon at that house. I ended up buying a slicer to keep mine uniform.
beb06
AG
What recipe do you use?
AustinAgChef
Here is the recipe for the basic dry cure that I use:

1 pound kosher salt
8 ounces sugar
8 teaspoons cure #1

Mix everything together well and store in an airtight container. Be sure to label what it is so that it does not get used mistakenly for just salt.

For every five pounds of meat you have, you'll want to use 1/4 cup of the cure mixture.

From here, you can add whatever other spices or seasonings you want to the cure. For mine, I added garlic, onion and bay leaves to half of the belly and the other had the addition of brown sugar and chipotle.

All you need to do is coat the entire belly with the cure mixture and then place in a 2 gallon ziploc bag. Into the refrigerator it goes for 5-7 days, flipping once a day. You will notice the meat get firmer throughout the curing process. If the meat is still a bit soft, it's not quite ready but that 7 day mark usually gets the trick done.

After that, you'll smoke the belly at 175-200 degrees until it reaches an internal temperature of 150 degrees. Then, chill overnight and once completely chilled, slice to your desired thickness. This batch was smoked with apple wood but hickory and pecan are also great choices for bacon.

*Note: This basic cure recipe comes from the charcuterie book by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn. These two are some of the most knowledgeable guys when it comes to salting, curing & smoking of meats. I took the two day class from Brian Polcyn and he knows his stuff.
FIDO*98*
AG
Nothing like it

Max Power
AG
I do a similar cure and cook as listed above but seal the pork belly up with my food saver. I've generally found when I smoke with hickory the flavor has been better than with apple wood, but to each his own. If you are slicing up that much bacon you will need a good quality slicing knife, going to be hard to get nice uniform cuts otherwise.

A word to anyone that tries to make bacon without using the curing salt, don't do it. I tried to make one that way while my wife was pregnant and it wasn't great. The curing salt will help with the texture and color. It also prevents botulism but my understanding is as long as your fridge is cold enough it shouldn't encourage botulism anyway.

I would love to make my own prosciutto one day, but lack the appropriate setup. Bacon is much easier.
Ornlu
AG
What's the trick (and weapon of choice) for getting the slice right?
Duncan Idaho
[URL=.html][/URL]
Bourbon brown sugar
HTownAg98
quote:
What's the trick (and weapon of choice) for getting the slice right?

Either a commercial meat slicer or a very sharp slicing knife.
cypress-ag
AG
Costco has been selling Porkbelly for a good while now and have thought about making baking...thanks for the thread. Heading over today to pick it up.
beb06
AG
I saw pork belly at Costco last week also.

Purchased some curing salt from Amazon, so just about ready to try this.

Thanks to all for the recipes and photos.
HTownAg98
Keep in mind that if you can't smoke it, just slow-roast it in the oven. It won't be quite the same, but it still has a lot of culinary uses where you want that fatty bacon flavor without the smoke. In fact, it's great for making lardons that are used widely in French cuisine.
Max Power
AG
You can also make pancetta at home if you don't have a smoker.

http://ruhlman.com/2009/06/home-cured-pancetta/
Reel Aggies
AG
8# belly, cure/seasoning on, just placed in the garage fridge. Cannot wait until next weekend! Bought it at Costco today.
Mathguy64
AG
Picked one up at Costco while in Houston. Let's see what happens
JYDog90
AG
i was looking at Costco this morning and they are all cut up into awkwardly sized chunks, not whole. Can you request they leave it whole?
Duncan Idaho
Yes. They will even do the same for short ribs.
schmellba99
AG
Thread bump.

Just picked up an 8.5 lb belly, cut in half and have one side cured with the basic cure above with some rye added, other side is garlic peppered. Looking forward to next weekend when I smoke these bad boys up.

Plan on using pecan with some applewood to,smoke with.
wadd96
AG
Yeah... some of this was supposed to show up in my freezer... but alas... guess the pan sausage I make last weekend won't make the half mile trip...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
schmellba99
AG
Bellies on the pit this afternoon. Smoking,over pecan and some oak lump charcoal.

schmellba99
AG
Finished product.

The bourbon and brown sugar was pretty good, but next time I will back off on the bourbon. It wasnt overpowering, but it was stronger than I would have liked.

The pepper and garlic was pretty solid. Nice change from the normal bacon flavor. Next time I would add some brown sugar to sweeten it a smidge.

Overall, a fun project and I will do it again.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm on my 3rd 10lb belly since back in March when I tried the first time. It's stupid simple, stupid cheap, and so much better than commercial stuff.
JJWAGGIE
AG
After eyeballing this for months... I picked up a 10 pd belly at Costco today. Split it in two and have one going with the basic cure + cracked pepper and the other going with the basic cure + brown sugar/maple syrup. When they are ready to go in 7 days or so, is there a need to wash down the bellys before smoking? Have read some others sites where they suggest that but no mention of it here. Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.
Mathguy64
AG
Yes. You need to rinse the cure off the belly. I rinse it, pat it dry and then reseason with pepper but that's it.
AustinAgChef
Yes, rinse the cure off and then pat dry with paper towels. Place back in the fridge overnight to form a pellicle, which is basically a coating of proteins that forms on the surface of your meat. Helps the smoke adhere better.

Edited to add: Once the pellicle has formed (meat will become slightly tacky), now is the time to add pepper or other seasonings of your choice.
JJWAGGIE
AG
Thanks for the very quick replies. Looking forward to this.
Mathguy64
AG
A little over a week from now you will have the best bacon you have ever had.
HTownAg98
You will be tempted to slice it thicker than normal thick cut bacon. Do not do this if you intend to cook it in a skillet. It will be tougher and chewier than you might like. It you want thick slab bacon, roast it in a 325 oven in a sheet pan, and barely cover it with water. As the water evaporates, the bacon will brown and crisp up.
Duncan Idaho
Sous vide it overnight then finish in a pan
JJWAGGIE
AG
Is there any specific way to know that the belly has been cured properly? Have read it gets firm but nothing I have read gives any specific advice on that subject. Curious to know the thoughts of those that have been through the process already.
AustinAgChef
quote:

For after you've sliced, yes. Don't do this with the whole belly though. Or, just skip the sous vide craze and proceed normally. You'll still have a very tasty end result in half the time.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:

For after you've sliced, yes. Don't do this with the whole belly though. Or, just skip the sous vide craze and proceed normally. You'll still have a very tasty end result in half the time.
This.

Not every damned thing in the world needs to be boiled in a bag.
HTownAg98
quote:
Is there any specific way to know that the belly has been cured properly? Have read it gets firm but nothing I have read gives any specific advice on that subject. Curious to know the thoughts of those that have been through the process already.

I've never been able to tell by testing for the firmness. I just cure it for a week and it's been fine.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.