Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Margarita Recipes

12,744 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
aeroag14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What the heck. I am board and a quick search showed no other threads quite like this one.

How do you make your Margaritas and what is your favorite recipe?

I call mine the 4-3-2-1 Margarita. Its a pretty simple derivative of a classic recipe.

4 parts freshly squeezed lime juice
3 parts quality100% Agave tequila (Usually respado, pero sometimes I will use a blanco)
2 parts high proof (80 proof) orange liqueur like Cointreau
1 part freshly squeezed orange juice

Briefly shake all ingredients, strain with cocktail strainer (to remove any pulp) and serve over ice in a margarita glass with either a salted or unsalted rim.

A couple of notes:

1) I used to exclude the fresh orange juice, but I often found that after a single drink the margarita would become too sour. The orange juice introduces just a little bit of sweetness. Not so much that it makes the drink "sweet", just enough to cut the sourness/tartness a hair. Depending on your personal tastes, more or less OJ can be added to fine tune the level of sweetness.

2) The above recipe is 20% alcohol by volume and will most certainly get the job done rather quickly.
Stan Crowch
AG
3 parts Don Julio Blanco

2 parts Gran Marnier

1 part fresh squeezed lime juice

Add ice, shake, strain and serve
Business Time
AG
I could never get consistently good results with triple sec, so I switched over to a Tommy's Margarita. The recipe scales beautifully.

4 parts silver tequila
2 parts fresh lime juice
1 part agave nectar

Preferably stirred for a fuller mouthfeel but shaken is okay.
BMX Bandit
Tequila
OJ
Cottage cheese
Lime juice
Bread crumbs
Bruce Almighty
AG
Rule #1: if you're using anejo, you're wasting your money.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Combine juice from 3 limes, 1 cup water and 6 tbsp sugar in pitcher and refrigerate.

Add 1 cup tequila and 1/3 cup Cointreau

Serve in martini glasses
rhoswen
AG
Limeade
Tequila
Triple sec

Blend.

Keep it simple.
jah003
S
Alton Brown's recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/margarita-recipe.html
Best margaritas I've ever had/made.
fta09
AG
I'm a fan of the tequila, triple sec, lime juice method several have listed, but my wife really likes the recipe below. To each their own I guess.

1 can frozen limeade (the Minute Maid stuff)
Fill that can with tequila and dump into pitcher
Pour in two Corona Lights
Mix

They don't taste bad, but not what I prefer. Then again I'm more of a bourbon and beer guy anyway.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Tequila
OJ
Cottage cheese
Lime juice
Bread crumbs
You forgot cream of mushroom soup
752bro4
AG
What you are drinking is a lime cocktail, not a margarita. I'm not saying it ain't good, but that's not its name. Proper margarita is lime, tequila, salt, grilled over mesquite to a perfect medium rare. </Slicer97>
fta09
jeffdjohnson
Get your Big Green Egg to 215 then add wood chips that have been soaked in cream of mushroom soup. Smoke the margarita until it hits an internal temperature of 145 degrees. Don't panic if it stalls around 130. I then prefer the Thomas Keller method of using a blowtorch to give the margarita a nice glaze. That is optional. Plate the margarita. I typically use light brown sugar to make a happy face. Enjoy.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I love this board.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
I typically use light brown sugar to make a happy face
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Get your Big Green Egg to 215 then add wood chips that have been soaked in cream of mushroom soup. Smoke the margarita until it hits an internal temperature of 145 degrees. Don't panic if it stalls around 130. I then prefer the Thomas Keller method of using a blowtorch to give the margarita a nice glaze. That is optional. Plate the margarita. I typically use light brown sugar to make a happy face. Enjoy.

I'll see your smoked margarita and I'll just sous vide some lime wedges soaked in tequila and triple sec and serve the lime on blocks of smoked sea salt. Maybe I'll make a margarita foam served on a spoon. Maybe some tequila infused fettuccine with shaved truffle and lime salt that'll make BSD drool.
LawHall88
AG
3 parts blanco tequila
2 parts Cointreau
2 parts fresh lime juice

Combine and pour in a shaker filled with ice, shake for a minimum 15 seconds and pour straight into a salt-rimmed margarita glass, no ice.

If you don't like tart, you can substitute one part simple syrup for one part Cointreau.
crag
AG
Can someone explain this "muddling" that Brown uses? Isn't the lime skin bitter? I would think that this muddling would release that bitterness.

How hard do you press.when.you.muddle?
crag
AG
So no comments on muddling?!

I made Brown's recipe and it was quite good, even with my muddling technique which I do not understand.

He called for a Valencia or Hamlin orange which I could not find. Per the web, they typically show up in stores in spring/summer and are primarily oranges for juice.
BringJackieBack89
AG
Tried and tested for years...enjoying it all!

Depends on whether or not you want frozen or On-the-Rocks. Makes a BIG difference! Also the ingredients are a must and should not be substituted for...I have noticed differences

On the rocks:
- Large pilsner glass, around 12 - 16 oz
- salt rim if you like
- fill with ice
- juice a lime in the glass
- 1 oz + of Casadores Repasado (or Cabo Wabo with little difference)
- 1/2 oz + Patron Citronage
- fill to about 1 inch from rim with Dr Swami mix (have used Mr & Mrs T lite and though you lose some flavor, makes for a lighter drink)
- 1/2 oz + of Grand Marnier
- add lime slice and drink up!

Frozen (granted, I mix in a Margaritaville machine)
- Large pilsner glass, around 12 - 16 oz
- salt rim if you like
- juice 2 limes in the mix container
- 1 oz simple bar syrup
- 1/2 oz triple sec
- 1/2 oz + Patron Citronage
- 2 oz tequila (any brand will do as this won't make a difference in a frozen drink)
- Pour and enjoy!
farmer2010
AG
Drink half a can of sprite, then fill it to the top with juice from 1 lime, splash of OJ, and blanco tequila.
SumAggie
drink straight shots of tequila.
big ben
AG
quote:
What you are drinking is a lime cocktail, not a margarita. I'm not saying it ain't good, but that's not its name. Proper margarita is lime, tequila, salt, grilled over mesquite to a perfect medium rare. </Slicer97>

"Grilled over mesquite coals"...you have no idea how many times I have read that phrase from Slicer.
752bro4
AG
bump for cinco de mayo

doing the alton brown recipe on Thursday.
TMfrisco
AG
This one takes some time and forethought, but it is the very best "sipping" margarita I have ever had. I do mean "sipping" because if you up the tequila just a little and start gulping these things down, you will be in trouble.
Central Market generally has fresh squeezed lime and lemon juice and their fresh margarita mix works if they don't have lime and lemon juice. To make big batches of these squeezing the limes and lemons takes a while.

Makes about 1 quart, serving 4 to 6
The longer the zest and juice mixture is allowed to steep, the more developed the citrus flavors in the finished margaritas. We recommend steeping for the full 24 hours, although the margaritas will still be great if the mixture is steeped only for the minimum 4 hours. If you're in a rush and need to serve margaritas immediately, omit the zest and skip the steeping process altogether.

Ingredients

• 4 teaspoons grated lime zest
  • 1/2 cup lime juice from 2 to 3 medium limes
  • 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice from 2 to 3 medium lemons
  • 1/4 cup superfine sugar
  • pinch table salt
  • 2 cups crushed ice
  • 1 cup 100 percent agave tequila, preferably Reposado
  • 1 cup Triple Sec
Instructions
1. Combine lime zest and juice, lemon zest and juice, sugar, and salt in large liquid measuring cup; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until flavors meld, 4 to 24 hours.
2. Divide 1 cup crushed ice between 4 or 6 margarita or double old-fashioned glasses. Strain juice mixture into 1-quart pitcher or cocktail shaker. Add tequila, Triple Sec, and remaining crushed ice; stir or shake until thoroughly combined and chilled, 20 to 60 seconds. Strain into ice-filled glasses; serve immediately.

dustin999
AG
quote:
3 parts blanco tequila
2 parts Cointreau
2 parts fresh lime juice

Combine and pour in a shaker filled with ice, shake for a minimum 15 seconds and pour straight into a salt-rimmed margarita glass, no ice.

If you don't like tart, you can substitute one part simple syrup for one part Cointreau.
This is almost identical to what I do. Instead of simple syrup, I'll sometimes squeeze a little agave nectar in. Also, maybe substitute Paula's Texas Orange, Triple Sec, or Grand Marnier for Cointreau. Sometimes I'll go heavier on the lime.

The secret is shaking the crap out of it. I'm not one to shy from going heavy on the alcohol, but giving the ice a chance to melt in a little really helps bring it all together. I shake usually for 30-45 seconds. Also noticed in one of Rick Bayless' books, he recommends the same for one of his margarita recipes.

Another nice addition is adding slices of jalapeos and/or juice from a jar of jalapeo-stuffed olives before shaking. That gives it a little kick, not unlike a Chuy's New Mexican martini which I think is pretty damn good.
kurt vonnegut
AG
quote:
Limeade
Tequila
Triple sec

Blend.

Keep it simple.

. . and ice.

Exactly how I do it. Its simple, but hard to beat.
joshwayne330
If you live in Houston / Austin / Dallas, HEB Central Market makes a fresh squeezed margarita mix. All you gotta do is throw in a 2 shots of tequila, .75 shot orange liqueur, 1 shot margarita mix. Shake with ice. Pour over ice. BAM!
RedlineAg08
1 part Lime Juice
2 parts Tequila (Respado)
a squeeze of an tangerine, orange, whatever just get some orange juice in there
agave to taste

Add Ice...

At this point you can drink it, shake it up and let the drink get real cold and strain it into a martini glass, or blend it for frozen.

I like to drink 1 each way to hit easy street, followed by bedtime.
MarylandAG
This seems like an appropriate thread to bump on New Years eve, haha. I am not a big drinker at all, in fact on the very rare occasion I buy liquor, I always come to this board for recommendations. I have a bottle of El Jimador Tequila Silver and a bottle of Grand Marnier and some limes and other ingredients, let me look at the recipe recommendations and see what "texags says". Feliz ao nuevo!!!
AG N ASIA
AG
For frozen margs:

1/2 can frozen limeade place first in blender
Fill blender with ice (I have 7 cup blender)
1/2 cup tequila
1/2 cup triple sec
1/4 cup orange liqueur (Gran Mariner or if on budget DeKuypers O3)
2 oz simple syrup

Blend until smooth
Ornlu
AG
Wow.... There's a lot of TURRIBLE opinions in this thread.

Salt rimmed glass
1.5oz Tequila (any repasado. I like Hornitas)
0.75oz Cointreau
0.75oz fresh lime juice
Shake with ice for 90 seconds, then
Serve over crushed ice (approx 4 oz of it)

The recipes with agave, simple syrup, OJ, frozen concoctions are just nucking futs. You only need three things: tequilla, Cointreau, and lime.
Dumpster Fire
Simple recipe that we've enjoyed almost daily since
March due to the quarantine:

3 parts tequila (our favorite is jimador reposado)
2 parts fresh squeezed lime juice
1 part simple syrup
Splash of triple sec (or OJ)

Simple but excellent
GAC06
AG
The actual recipe for the drink called margarita is simple too
javajaws
AG
Ornlu said:

Wow.... There's a lot of TURRIBLE opinions in this thread.

Salt rimmed glass
1.5oz Tequila (any repasado. I like Hornitas)
0.75oz Cointreau
0.75oz fresh lime juice
Shake with ice for 90 seconds, then
Serve over crushed ice (approx 4 oz of it)

The recipes with agave, simple syrup, OJ, frozen concoctions are just nucking futs. You only need three things: tequilla, Cointreau, and lime.

That sounds HURRIBLY sour...and opinionated.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.