Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Fido's guide to Gumbo

81,374 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Ogre09
JYDog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trying this today!
Formerly Willy Wonka
MAROON
AG
Yesterday. Came out really rich

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
medwriter
FIDO*98* said:

Had a get together last night and Gumbo was on the menu. I have yet to serve this where at least 1 person doesn't tell me it's the best Gumbo they've ever had. Also had a girl who lived in New Orleans for 7 years tell me that it could be served in any Louisiana restaurant and people would rave about it. I could go on and on, but, I'm not here to brag, I'm here to teach Here's my recipe and some thoughts.

First of all, good Gumbo obviously begins with a great dark roux. I always, always cook the roux separately. This will allow you to better control the thickness later on and lets you cook the veggies with some browning. This recipe is for a half-gallon of Gumbo so I know I will need around 2 cups of roux. Therefore I make 3. Any leftover will freeze perfectly. Roux is best made in an enameled cast iron pot.

Start with 1.5 Cups of Peanut oil, 1/2 Cup of Butter, and 3 cups of flour. Most recipes you see will call for a 1:1 ratio of fat to flour, but, I find that is always too thin.

Plan on stirring with a flat wooded spatula for best results. This will take a while, however in the initial stage, you can let it rip to speed things along.

Once it begins to darken go ahead and turn down to medium

I generally cut the heat around here. The cast iron will continue cooking the roux so it will finish a shade darker. I'm putting seafood in this one so I don't want it quite as dark as if this were a chicken and sausage only gumbo.

final product

Now for the rest I need:

2 medium onions
2 Green Bell Peppers
6 celery stalks
green onion
3 large cloves of Garlic
4 Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1lb sliced andouille sausage
1lb crawfish tails
1lb shrimp
2 quarts homemade stock
1/3c chopped parsley
cajun seasoning
dried thyme
peppercorns
bay leaves
Worcestershire sauce

Take one medium onion, 1 bell pepper, 3 celery stalks, and a few green onions and give them a rough chop

Now take the other onion, bell pepper, celery stalks, and garlic and pulse to a fine grind in a food processor. These will disintegrate by the time you finish the Gumbo, however, it's going to add a ton of flavor.

Add about 1/2 cup of oil to a heavy bottomed soup pot and saut the rough chopped veggies until almost tender

Next add the ground veggies and continue cooking until you start getting some good browning

Once the veggies are finished turn off the heat and set aside

Season the chicken breasts with cajun seasoning and sear in a stainless steel pan. When the chicken is finished, give it a rough chop on a cutting board and toss in the soup pot. Now sear the andouille and add to the soup pot as well.

Deglaze the pan with a cup of water and add to the soup pot along with the 8 cups of homemade stock

Take about 2 tsp thyme along with a few peppercorns and pulverize in a spice grinder. Add it to the pot

Now add 2 bay leaves, chopped parsley, and about 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce

Remember all of that browning we did? Look how dark the Gumbo is and I haven't added any of the roux yet. That's some serious flavor going on in that pot. It's good enough to eat as is as a soup. Bring everything up to a simmer

Now, pour the excess oil off the top of the roux and begin adding it about 1/2c at a time until you get the desired consistency. Once you reach your preferred thickness (I like thick for all meat gumbo and thinner for seafood) Season to taste with cajun seasoning and/or salt. Allow to simmer on low for about an hour.

About 10 minutes before serving add in the shrimp and crawfish. Allow to cook until shrimp are done, but, don't overcook them.

There you have it. Gumbo you could proudly serve to any Rajun Cajun and make them feel right at home.

I serve my Gumbo with White Rice (Properly it's served in a separate bowl from the Gumbo and combined with each bite), Sliced fresh okra briefly boiled in salted water, ground Sassafras leaves aka Gumbo File, Worcestershire sauce, Louisiana hot sauce, sliced scallions, and lemon slices

You should be paid good money for putting out all of this effort in providing us with such a great recipe, and step by step with pictures I might add!

I have bookmarked this and I will be using it soon in the new year.

It's a heart warming feeling knowing that there are folks out there like you that want to share their blessings with others.

God Bless you FIDO and thank you very much.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Gumbo is one of my favorite dishes, and I will give this recipe a shot next time I make one. My recipe is usually as follows:

1. Prepare everything. Brown 2-3 pounds of chicken thighs and 2 packages of andouille sausage (Cajun Hollar is my favorite from HEB). Slice sausage and cut up chicken. Set aside.

2. Finely dice one large white or yellow onion, one large green bell pepper, and a few stalks of celery. Set aside.

3. Mince 3-4 cloves of garlic. Set aside separate from the trinity.

4. Start the roux. I usually combine about 1.5 cups of oil (or bacon grease, if I have it) with 1.5 cups of flour. Get the oil hot and slowly add the flour, making sure to get rid of any clumps. I do my roux hot and fast. I'll put an oven mitt on each hand due to the heat. 9-10 minutes and I've got a pretty dark roux. I've never burned one, just have to keep stirring.

5. Once the roux is where I want it, I immediately kill the heat and add the trinity. This stops the roux cooking. Stir well and return to low heat. Continue stirring until the onions get translucent.

6. Add and stir in the garlic.

7. Add the meat.

8. Add stock to a couple of inches above the meat in the stock pot.

9. Add seasoning. I use a few bay leaves, salt, and Tony's (I do intend to start making my own seasoning to use in place of the Tony's).

10. Bring to low/medium heat and let cook for several hours, stirring every thirty minutes or so. I don't know if it's possible to cook too long.

11. Serve with a bowl of white rice, a little file powder, and some bread.

12. Put the leftovers in the fridge. It will be even better tomorrow.

bexar
First, thanks again for this recipe!
I've made it with a few different meat variations before but this was the first time I made the roux myself.
White tail shoulder, chicken thigh and HEB venison sausage, with the chupacabra cajun blend. It was a little light on the meat, I need to remember to account for the trimmings next time.

Everything was going great on the roux but I cut the heat a little early and and it didn't get quite as dark as I wanted.

I turned the heat back on and of course I burned it a little while I was grinding the veggies.

Also, I must not have measured it out very well because it wasn't as firm as the previous batches. It slid a little as I tried to pour off the oil. Or maybe I should have let it sit longer.

I used basically all the roux and it still wasn't quite as thick as I was going for. Delicious as always though. I couldn't even tell I burnt the roux a bit. Just did a test bowl without rice since it was almost 11 when I finally finished. The trip I was making it for got canceled so I will be eating a lot of gumbo over the next week.

GarlandAg2012
AG
I'm in a cooking club and the theme this week was Cajun so I had to bust out this thread. Thanks again to Fido for the amazing OP. Only modification I made was deglazing with an Oktoberfest rather than water. Doubt it did much but the final product is delicious.

FIDO*98*
AG
Looks really good. I just finished up my first cool fall run and was thinking it's getting to be Gumbo time.

Do the thread a favor and throw your potato salad recipe on here
GarlandAg2012
AG
Potato salad I made up:

2 lbs russet potatoes
2-3 tbl good mayonnaise
1-2 tbl good creole or maybe dijon mustard (I used a mustard from NY called Walters that is my favorite. It has relish in the mustard and a great flavor)
1 celery stalk
About half a medium sweet onion
2 green onions
1 tbs + 1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning (I like Fiesta's)
1 tbs kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper

Scrub and cube the potatoes. I leave the skins on because I like it but you can peel if you want

Submerge in tap cold water and cover with about an inch of water

Add 1 tbs Cajun seasoning, 1 tbs salt, and a few cranks of pepper to the water. The difference in flavor between seasoned water and non seasoned water is substantial. If you don't believe me check serious eats.

Put on a burner and let it rip bringing the whole thing to a boil. Starting with cold water is key to good texture (also a tip from serious eats)

While potatoes come to a boil, roughly chop the onion and celery and the whites and just a little green from the green onion. Toss into the same food processor you used for the gumbo. Save the remaining greens from the green onions for garnish

Pulse 4-5 times until you have a fine dice on the veg and set aside. You could dice by hand but hey if your food processor is already dirty, work smarter not harder.

Monitor your potato water and stir occasionally. Once it comes to a boil it only takes 5 minutes or so to be cooked

In my opinion potato salad should have more firmness than mashed potatoes. Keep this in mind when you are testing the potatoes to decide if they're done cooking. You don't want an undercooked center but you don't want mush either.

Drain the potatoes well in a colander

Return to the original pot and use a potato masher to break the potatoes up. You want a lot of small pieces but some bigger chunks too.

Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add diced veggies, 2ish tbs mayo, 1-2 tbs mustard, 1 tsp Cajun seasoning (to taste) mix to combine

Check for salt & pepper balance. Adjust as needed.

I like to use a 1/2 c measuring cup as a serving spoon so you get a nice shape to the scoop of potato salad so it sits in the middle of your bowl of gumbo. Slice remaining greens from the green onions and garnish.

I made this recipe up on the fly last night and I really like how it tastes and the texture it has. I didn't measure anything so the measurements here are a guestimation but I think if you start here and adjust seasoning level as you go you really can't go wrong. I used 2 heaping soup spoon fulls of mayonnaise, which was easily 2 tbs of not more, and a couple large squirts of mustard.

I was impressed by how much the (what I was afraid was over the top) seasoning in the water helped. When I tasted the cooked potato they still were fairly bland but night and day different between a potato just cooked in water with a small pinch of salt.
BurrOak
AG
Will be making a pot today for the game. Buddy got an 8' gator recently, so will be using some of that, shrimp, and sausage I think.
BurrOak
AG
Here's the finished product. I did use gator, andouille, and shrimp. Mostly followed Fido's method. It was a hit with everyone. Damn good gumbo. Too bad we couldn't hit the end zone from the 2.

BurrOak
AG
dp

MyNameIsJeff
AG
Yep, it's that time of year again (not that I would hesitate eating a bowl of gumbo on a 100+ degree day).

Might have to make a batch next weekend.
Ogre09
AG
Bump. Making a pot tonight.
Ogre09
AG
Gumbo night again

Cold weather cooking may be my favorite

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.