Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Fido's guide to Gumbo

81,211 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Ogre09
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had a get together last night and Gumbo was on the menu. I have yet to serve this where at least 1 person doesn't tell me it's the best Gumbo they've ever had. Also had a girl who lived in New Orleans for 7 years tell me that it could be served in any Louisiana restaurant and people would rave about it. I could go on and on, but, I'm not here to brag, I'm here to teach Here's my recipe and some thoughts.

First of all, good Gumbo obviously begins with a great dark roux. I always, always cook the roux separately. This will allow you to better control the thickness later on and lets you cook the veggies with some browning. This recipe is for a half-gallon of Gumbo so I know I will need around 2 cups of roux. Therefore I make 3. Any leftover will freeze perfectly. Roux is best made in an enameled cast iron pot.

Start with 1.5 Cups of Peanut oil, 1/2 Cup of Butter, and 3 cups of flour. Most recipes you see will call for a 1:1 ratio of fat to flour, but, I find that is always too thin.

Plan on stirring with a flat wooded spatula for best results. This will take a while, however in the initial stage, you can let it rip to speed things along.

Once it begins to darken go ahead and turn down to medium

I generally cut the heat around here. The cast iron will continue cooking the roux so it will finish a shade darker. I'm putting seafood in this one so I don't want it quite as dark as if this were a chicken and sausage only gumbo.

final product

Now for the rest I need:

2 medium onions
2 Green Bell Peppers
6 celery stalks
green onion
3 large cloves of Garlic
4 Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1lb sliced andouille sausage
1lb crawfish tails
1lb shrimp
2 quarts homemade stock
1/3c chopped parsley
cajun seasoning
dried thyme
peppercorns
bay leaves
Worcestershire sauce

Take one medium onion, 1 bell pepper, 3 celery stalks, and a few green onions and give them a rough chop

Now take the other onion, bell pepper, celery stalks, and garlic and pulse to a fine grind in a food processor. These will disintegrate by the time you finish the Gumbo, however, it's going to add a ton of flavor.

Add about 1/2 cup of oil to a heavy bottomed soup pot and saut the rough chopped veggies until almost tender

Next add the ground veggies and continue cooking until you start getting some good browning

Once the veggies are finished turn off the heat and set aside

Season the chicken breasts with cajun seasoning and sear in a stainless steel pan. When the chicken is finished, give it a rough chop on a cutting board and toss in the soup pot. Now sear the andouille and add to the soup pot as well.

Deglaze the pan with a cup of water and add to the soup pot along with the 8 cups of homemade stock

Take about 2 tsp thyme along with a few peppercorns and pulverize in a spice grinder. Add it to the pot

Now add 2 bay leaves, chopped parsley, and about 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce

Remember all of that browning we did? Look how dark the Gumbo is and I haven't added any of the roux yet. That's some serious flavor going on in that pot. It's good enough to eat as is as a soup. Bring everything up to a simmer

Now, pour the excess oil off the top of the roux and begin adding it about 1/2c at a time until you get the desired consistency. Once you reach your preferred thickness (I like thick for all meat gumbo and thinner for seafood) Season to taste with cajun seasoning and/or salt. Allow to simmer on low for about an hour.

About 10 minutes before serving add in the shrimp and crawfish. Allow to cook until shrimp are done, but, don't overcook them.

There you have it. Gumbo you could proudly serve to any Rajun Cajun and make them feel right at home.

I serve my Gumbo with White Rice (Properly it's served in a separate bowl from the Gumbo and combined with each bite), Sliced fresh okra briefly boiled in salted water, ground Sassafras leaves aka Gumbo File, Worcestershire sauce, Louisiana hot sauce, sliced scallions, and lemon slices
girlgolfer12
Looks great!
MookieBlaylock
AG
Nice fake chili

beagle2009
AG
Will definitely be giving this a go...
FlyFish95
If you want to serve your gumbo properly, serve it with a scoop of potato salad.
JFrench
AG
Nice write up and pics.

finished up turkey and andouille last night. Good use of carcass and leftovers.

I freeze veggie scraps through the year. Carcasses of chickens as well. Make one huge stock and freeze some. Then make big batch of gumbo and freeze stock without any meats. Thaw and mix whatever Im feeling. Freezes well and gives you an easy fix when you need one.
JFrench
AG
Or cornbread dressing. Hardboiled eggs like PP is great too
ORAggieFan
Do you use any specific type of stock?

If non-seafood just increase chicken and sausage by the amount of seafood you have?
Matsui
AG
Awesome!
62strat
AG
quote:
Gumbo you could proudly serve to any Rajun Cajun and make them feel right at home.

I hope your cooking is better than your spelling!
Potcake
AG
You either make seafood gumbo or chicken and sausage gumbo, they don't go together.
DiskoTroop
Needs Rotel.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
You either make seafood gumbo or chicken and sausage gumbo, they don't go together.

Bull****. According to who? Provide me a link to the official rules of gumbo.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Absolutely false.
schmellba99
AG
Looks like a good recipe. Your roux needs to be a little darker for my tastes though.

This is what I like about cooking - there are about a thousand ways to do something, most of them good. I like seeing different methods of making things like gumbo.

Don't get me wrong - it's not my method, so it's not exactly "right" (obligatory texags post), but it looks solid as hell.
Proc92
anyone ever use two rouxs? a very dark one for that rich nutty flavor and a bit of a much blonder one to thicken it up? seems liker you could just set aside a little bit in the process before it gets dark for adding latter
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
For the part of my grandparents family that grew up in Welsh/Kinder and migrated west, seafood gumbo had shrimp, crab and oysters with okra with a lighter roux than that and the version with sausage, chicken and things like rabbit without okra and a much darker roux. Both with rice. When you grow up on rice farms you eat it with rice.

But to each his own. I've had it a million ways and make my own with the family recipes but my seafood one has a darker roux than Grandma would make. About like FIDOs.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Gumbo is made with whatever you have on hand. If you think gumbo should be played by some certain set of rules, then you don't have much experience with Louisiana cooking.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
Gumbo is made with whatever you have on hand. If you think gumbo should be played by some certain set of rules, then you don't have much experience with Louisiana cooking.
it's the same thing as Texas Chili. chili contests have *******ized the original intent of the meal.
Potcake
AG
You seem to be stressing really bad over this and you have no idea what my experience is. You have your opinions just like anybody else.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Yea, I'm totally stressing out over this
FIDO*98*
AG
quote:
You seem to be stressing really bad over this and you have no idea what my experience is.

We can make an educated guess as to your experience is if you think Gumbo is meats or seafood and never both. Some of us like Htown and I have established our credibility on this board. Quite a few people on here don't care for my style, but, nobody questions my competence. You can go on many of my recipe threads and people who take the time to make what I post often come back with "best ever" comments. Maybe we're not pros like AgChef or Bonfire, but, when we post folks know that our advice can be counted on.

I make 4 basic Gumbos:

Shrimp and Oyster
Seafood: Shrimp, Crawfish, Redfish, Crab
This one
Chicken/Rabbit/Duck and Sausage

In that order they are thin to thick and light to dark. The top two get 50/50 Butter to Oil in the roux and the last one I only use oil and flour for the roux in order to get it as dark as possible. The top two get okra in the Gumbo and the bottom ones get it served on the side if at all.
RGV AG
AG
Thanks for the cool recipe Fido, gonna try your version of it fairly soon.

My favorite gumbo to make is Duck and Oyster, with a smigen of fresh crab meat if I have it. Gonna try your two versions of the holy trinity on my next effort, that makes a lot of sense .

If I could just learn to make a consistent roux I might consider my life complete.
Matsui
AG
Dude acually posts pictures of the process and final results and then folks bash him for what they think gumbo should look like.....Fido tell those haters to make gumbo and post step by step photos...
Slicer97
AG

I use a 1:1 of fresh pork lard (not the shelf stable stuff, but the stuff you get at your local meximart) and AP.

The last round, I used some duck and quail legs I let smoke over the remains of a mesquite fire. Turned out really nice.
Slicer97
AG
quote:
If I could just learn to make a consistent roux I might consider my life complete.
Do what I do. Melt the fat over medium heat, stir in the flour and then pull it off the range and stick in a 350 degree oven. Give it a stir about every 30 minutes or so until it's the color you want. It's going to take several hours, but you won't risk burning it.
RGV AG
AG
Slicer:
Will that really work? I will damm sure try it. My problem is not in the equipment or my method, it is in my attention span and patience. Thank you.
Slicer97
AG
Absolutely it will work. The above picture was using that method. It takes longer timewise, but it's actually shorter when it comes to "hands-on" time. It's Alton Brown's method.

I've also heard of people baking the flour until it's the color they want and just mixing it into the fat and calling it done, but I've not tried that.
RGV AG
AG
Slicer:
I brown my flour alone first when I make gravy. Then I add fat and stock. It usually works well to, but I think that method leaves the flour with a "browed" taste which is very good for brown gravy, but not so much for a roux that will be used on/in something like gumbo. Thanks so much.
FIDO*98*
AG
I don't really think anyone was bashing, but, across the border those mofos will put 'Dillo, tree rat, possum, gator, etc. into Gumbo. There definitely is no 'right' answer, however, I've had enough people compliment this one I figured it was worth a write up. Incidentally, this is the version I alway make for a crowd. Seems to hit the right range for most people. In my seafood Gumbo I makes stock with redfish ribs, shrimp heads, and blue crab. It can be too much for some people, on the other hand my darkest gumbo that looks like Slicer's can turn off others. If you at leadt like Gumbo, you'll love the recipe I posted regardless.

quote:
Absolutely it will work. The above picture was using that method. It takes longer timewise, but it's actually shorter when it comes to "hands-on" time. It's Alton Brown's method

Seems like a good way to get the rest of the stuff ready during the in between times. I've thought about trying it in my deep fryer, because when I clean it the bottom usually looks like a perfectly cooked roux. I wouldn't bake the dry flour and expect good results
Slicer97
AG
quote:
Seems like a good way to get the rest of the stuff ready during the in between times.

Yep. You can also fill those hours by consuming tasty, adult beverages, much the way one might while barbecuing.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I do chicken and andouille or shrimp and crab gumbo. Both are pretty labor intensive but damn good eats. I like sauteing the okra in a separate skillet to get rid of the "slimyness" then adding it to the pot at the end.
HTownAg98
Fido's gumbo is on point. The only things that really matter is getting the roux to the correct darkness to your liking and using homemade stock. The rest is up to your personal preference.
If you want to try a good variation, make gumbo z'herbes.
schmellba99
AG
I do the same with okra. Firms it up and helps it hold together a lot better.

I have little issue mixing seafood and poultry/sausage - I usually like the different flavors. I understand why people tend to gravitate towards a seafood only or land food only though, and I wont add seafood to anything that is goimg to be heated up again the next day because seafood just doesnt keep or reheat well. I will reserve some without any meat and add seafood while I am reheating the next day to avoid this.

There are a thousand ways to make good gumbo. Throwing out absolutes is a great way to get errbody all riled up though.
Slicer97
AG
quote:
There are a thousand ways to make good gumbo. Throwing out absolutes is a great way to get errbody all riled up though.

Not much different than chili. I give people s*** all the time for putting beans in their chili (my dad makes his with pintos and kidneys with the Carroll Shelby kit and I'll eat that all damn day), but the fact is "authentic" Texas chili includes whatever the f*** the authentic Texan preparing it wants to put in there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.