Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Recommendations for a single nonstick skillet?

10,267 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by YouBet
stark_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for one medium sized (10 inch maybe?) nonstick skillet for eggs and maybe fish. I know all teflon will eventually wear off, but has anyone here had any experience with those ceramic coated pans? I hear they hold up better, but I figured one of yall may know a bit more than me. Any help?
Ag MD 84
AG
All Clad makes a non-stick omelet pan, love mine, always struggled with omelets before I bought it, kinda expensive, have to keep reminding Wife it's supposed to be an egg-only pan
Duncan Idaho
Ace mart
HTownAg98
^This.
FIDO*98*
AG
+1 for Ace Mart
JRizzle
AG
I have an entire set of all-clad. They are awesome. Very heavy duty, non-stick very good.

JR
HTownAg98
They're also very expensive, and once you scratch them, they will only get worse.

I've had expensive non-stick pans, and no matter how well you take care of them, you will eventually mess up the coating. I've got two pans from Ace Mart, they are going on year 4, and are nearly as slick when I got them. They have some minor scratches, but I'm not worried because when they start sticking too much, I can replace them for $30.
Hugh Jass
AG
You might also consider this line by Tramontina. Great value, lifetime warranty, and despite my (or more appropriately, my wife's) best efforts, I can't seem to get anything to stick to them.
normaleagle05
AG
We've had an Anolon skillet for several months now. Great nonstick on its own and impossible to stick to with a touch of oil. It's also metal tool friendly. Very pleased so far.
DRE06
AG
I personally thinks it's pretty dumb to pay a fortune for high end non-stick like All-clad.
Sooner Born
I like the Sam's Club non-stick skillets. They are inexpensive but good and are akin to the Ace Mart ones H-Town mentioned. Agree on the sentiment of not spending a lot.
stark_ag
AG
So, any experience with the enamel/ceramic coated as opposed to teflon?
Duncan Idaho
quote:

Traditional enamel is not non stick.
Ag MD 84
AG
My All Clad non-stick was free (was given a Williams Sonoma gift card)
Vernada
AG
I bought my all clad set in 1999 and have had no problems with anything including the nonstick.
javajaws
AG
Bed bath and beyond sells a 2-piece combo set of all clad hard anodized nonstick pans - an 8-inch and a 10-inch for $59. We use these for eggs, etc and they are great.
peace
S
look at Scanpan. Made in Denmark, I have an open 10 inch non stick and it works beautifully. I have had no regrets and bought it at Sur la Table in Dallas just off Knox and Central. Or you can order online. I think it was around $70 approx.
biobioprof
quote:
No experience, but I've been wondering about them too. Your post led me to do some Googling. I need to dig out the review in my collection of old Cooks Illustrateds, but the teaser from their website and several other sites made it sound like the ceramics overall are (surprisingly to me) not actually as durable as the teflon-based nonsticks.

That said, it also seems like there is a fair amount of variation in both fluorocarbon and ceramic-based formulations and manufacturing. So it may not be generalizable in either case.
ORAggieFan
Got a ceramic enamel for Christmas. It is really good. Maybe I just let my last mon stick go about a year too long but this thing is amazing.
bigtruckguy3500
I can make scrambled eggs & omelets in my cast iron skillet without a problem. Took me a while to get it seasoned just right, but now it works just as good as any non-stick I've ever used.
ORAggieFan
quote:
but now it works just as good as any non-stick I've ever used.

Sorry, but it's just not possible. And I love cast iron and do use it for eggs. It will never be as nonstick though.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
quote:
but now it works just as good as any non-stick I've ever used.

Sorry, but it's just not possible. And I love cast iron and do use it for eggs. It will never be as nonstick though.
Here's an old video of when I first got it seasoned. It's actually a little better now, and in the video I made the mistake of putting it on the small burner, which is why you see the edges not cooking. Now I also use a silicone spatula instead of a wooden spoon, and I find that works better as well. Also, sorry for the quality.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywmsm33mnow0oui/VID_20131005_133955.mp4?dl=0

Now, of course with a nonstick skillet I could probably cook the egg without any oil and without preheating the pan. I can't get away with that in the cast iron. But I really don't use much oil, and I just have to preheat for about 1-2 minutes on high, and it usually enough for eggs.

So all in all, it's not as good as non-stick all around, but for cooking eggs it works just as good as any I've used before.
drewser95
AG
I got a small Calphalon ceramic coated frying pan at Target several months ago and liked it so much I got the square skillet. I try to be fairly gentle with it and the surface has held up well so far. Every few weeks they're on sale for a few bucks off.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
They're also very expensive, and once you scratch them, they will only get worse.

I've had expensive non-stick pans, and no matter how well you take care of them, you will eventually mess up the coating. I've got two pans from Ace Mart, they are going on year 4, and are nearly as slick when I got them. They have some minor scratches, but I'm not worried because when they start sticking too much, I can replace them for $30.
Was at Ace Mart today looking around and they do have some nice non-stick pans for a fraction of the cost of what you'll get at other retail stores.
M3Manx
AG
I cannot say enough about my Scanpan Pro from Sur La Table. I have high end cookware from Borgeat to Demeyere and I reach for the Scanpan first, most of the time for quick cooking like, breakfast.. Plus, I don't cringe when they're used by others in the household.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Acemart pan also at Amazon

Don't recall price I paid at acemart, but its close. Also get the smaller one for eggs and small items. These pans are great for non stick but if you want to make a sauce/gravy, there are pans that are better for that. Like stainless or ceramic cast iron. I've pretty much given up on bare cast iron. Doesn't really add anything from the ceramic version and a heck of a lot harder to clean.

For something like Fried chicken, I'd get a ceramic cast iron with a lid. Dutch oven works too.
killbutchereat
Griswold or Wagner cast iron.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Griswold or Wagner cast iron.

Things that don't belong on this thread d
for 200, Alex
DCC99
AG
quote:
look at Scanpan. Made in Denmark, I have an open 10 inch non stick and it works beautifully. I have had no regrets and bought it at Sur la Table in Dallas just off Knox and Central. Or you can order online. I think it was around $70 approx.
This. Also, lifetime warranty. Oven safe to like 450 I think.
bonfirewillburn
AG
You can't use it harder or more than the pros.

AceMart specials ftw
Out in Left Field
AG
Resurecting an old thread.

Which Acemart non-stick do you guys use? It seems like there are a couple different types.

Are there any other good recommendations?
aggiebq03+
We have the Vollrath 10", it's the one with the blue handle. Best nonstick pan I've ever used. Had almost a year and still going strong. Thinking of getting the 8" one for doing omelettes.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I really like my De Buyer carbon steel omelette pan. With a little butter or oil the eggs just slide out.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We have a couple of store branded from Sur La Table.

We've had them 2 or 3 years and they have been great. we only hand wash, use only with silicon or wood utensils, and don't bang them around when putting them away.

I use them for many applications, but primarily eggs, seafood, and veggies.

bigboykin
AG
I like the Chef's Choice stuff from Sam's Club. I presume they're much like the Ace Mart ones, built like tanks and dirt cheap to replace when your nonstick starts to go.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.