Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Recommendations for Backyard Pit Smoker

24,613 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Belton Ag
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
I think it takes a lot more skill and attention on an offset, and the results are a better smoke flavor.

It doesn't, unless you're a retard.
Ok, you're right. Cooking on an egg and checking your temps every 3 hours is the same thing as throwing wood on and checking temps, adjusting air every 30 minutes.
Post removed:
by user
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I think it takes a lot more skill and attention on an offset, and the results are a better smoke flavor.

Ok, you're right. Cooking on an egg and checking your temps every 3 hours is the same thing as throwing wood on and checking temps, adjusting air every 30 minutes.

I did all that for 25 years before getting my egg. That's not art, that's work. Work smarter not harder. While you're doing that I am drinking beer or sleeping.
I'd kick you in the vagina but I'm afraid I wouldn't get my boot back.
Post removed:
by user
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cavemen had it hard. Welcome to the future, encino man.

Also, why are you so focused on the manhood of other dudes? http://texags.com/forums/36/topics/2306703?page=2
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
What an odd response. I shouldn't expect much more from a child though. Good day young'un.
God I wish I was a young'un...If you thought that was weird, what do you think about this?
quote:
Also, why are you so focused on the manhood of other dudes? http://texags.com/forums/36/topics/2306703?page=2
This was an attempt at humor on my part. Guess I failed. How long did you spend trying to find evidence that I hate thermometers?
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
quote:
This was an attempt at humor on my part. Guess I failed. How long did you spend trying to find evidence that I hate thermometers?
You did.
30 seconds.
Temp controller != Thermometer.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
You did.
30 seconds.
I just read back through that thread you referenced. You seem to be the angry ***** today that you were a year and a half ago. Drink a few beers and try to smile. Enjoy life.
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I did all that for 25 years before getting my egg. That's not art, that's work. Work smarter not harder. While you're doing that I am drinking beer or sleeping.

With my Weber Smokey Mountain I'm doing twice the amount of meat and it costs less than half an egg. And I can go way more than 3 hours without checking meat. Only check to see the bark and wrap if needed.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
You did.
30 seconds.
I just read back through that thread you referenced. You seem to be the angry ***** today that you were a year and a half ago. Drink a few beers and try to smile. Enjoy life.
Let me guess, 5'6"-5'9"
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Let me guess, 5'6"-5'9"
Let me guess, 3"-5"

6'2" you miserable wretch. Keep up the internet tough guy routine. It's really enjoyable.
Post removed:
by user
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
quote:
Let me guess, 5'6"-5'9"
Let me guess, 3"-5"

6'2" you miserable wretch. Keep up the internet tough guy routine. It's really enjoyable.
Wait. The guy that is attacking everyone's manliness (and bringing up ***** size) for using anything other than an offset is talking about being a tough guy?! LOL

Sweetheart, you should stop.
AustinAgChef
Why do you guys gotta go and mess up a quality bbq thread with the nonsense?!?!

And not trying to be an ass but, that brisket you posted dlance looks pretty dang dried out. I've never cooked on a ceramic cooker but can hang with the best of them with bbq coming off of my offset. I just found it humorous that the argument about the ease and results of a ceramic cooker led to an end result of dried out brisket. But that's just my opinion and what I see with the naked eye.

Now, continue on with y'alls little argument...
Post removed:
by user
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Wait. The guy that is attacking everyone's manliness (and bringing up ***** size) for using anything other than an offset is talking about being a tough guy?! LOL

2"?
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
quote:

2"?
That is usually about how much I can't actually get in. Want a picture?
Post removed:
by user
BurnetAggie99
I have a BGE and I like it a lot. I also have a big pappa's enhanced drum smoker and it smokes meat beautifully.

Don't usually fire the stick burner up because its very large. I made the pit out of my Dad's old Propane tank and it sits on a 24 Ft. Flat bed trailer. Only time I fire this pit up is I'm cooking a lot of meat or going to a cook off.
AggieBQ03
AG
When people say you dot get the smoke flavor the same in a BGE what's the reason? Are you just burning actual wood in the offset, or using charcoal with lumps of wood thrown in vs. using wood chips in a BGE? Most I've done so far is a Weber grill and indirect cooked Pork Shoulder or ribs using soaked wood chips in charcoal. Works fine for things that take less than 4-5 hours but I want something better for making brisket.

And don't take it personal dlance, but I thought the brisket looked dried out too. It's not personally what I'd be shooting for so my main curiosity is does it usually turn out that way on the BGE?
Post removed:
by user
Vernada
AG
quote:
When people say you dot get the smoke flavor the same in a BGE what's the reason? Are you just burning actual wood in the offset, or using charcoal with lumps of wood thrown in vs. using wood chips in a BGE? Most I've done so far is a Weber grill and indirect cooked Pork Shoulder or ribs using soaked wood chips in charcoal. Works fine for things that take less than 4-5 hours but I want something better for making brisket.

And don't take it personal dlance, but I thought the brisket looked dried out too. It's not personally what I'd be shooting for so my main curiosity is does it usually turn out that way on the BGE?

Using the Smokinator insert I've smoked numerous briskets on my Weber.
JFrench
AG
quite pathetic how Ags talk to each other behind a screen name and computer. your interest in cooking combined with the fact that there is like kind AND they're Ags should garner more respect amongst yourselves. i can't imagine this conversation in person between fellow Ags.

i own both a kamado and offset. all things considered on knowing how to operate both--equally as easy to do with either once you hone it in and neither is more impressive than the other-i can't tell a difference in the end result with all else equal. just like any other type of cooking with it's methods, once you perfect the method then you move on to something else that's more important than the method you just perfected.

i'm working on an electric knowing full well that my taste buds don't know any different. that's a travesty to both stick burning offsets and BGEs. that'll give you something to rally together against others on the internet.
AggieBQ03
AG
Vernada, thanks for pointing me to the Smokenator. I'll pick up one of those to use when we are back in Houston for a few weeks staying with my parents. My dads keeping my grills in use for me while we are overseas. Been using the little side baskets to do ribs and pork shoulder, but now I'm looking forward to trying out the weber kettle as a water smoker! Should leave more room on the grate as well.

And that Cookshack, now I've got more to read up about online. Was considering a BGE when we relocate back for good but now I may look at the electrics also. So many choices. But with little kids I just don't have the time to fiddle so the convenience of electric is enticing knowing I'd do more BBQ than otherwise.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
quite pathetic how Ags talk to each other behind a screen name and computer. your interest in cooking combined with the fact that there is like kind AND they're Ags should garner more respect amongst yourselves. i can't imagine this conversation in person between fellow Ags.
I'm sorry Grandpa...
Superdave1993
AG
Sounds like the light bulb is coming on!

Bought my first Cookshack used off Craigslist and used it for 7 years. Sold it to my neighbor that learned on his BGE. It is about 14 years old and still cooks great. It was the small Smokette and 4 butts was all it would hold, but usually fed normal get togethers well.

My second, and new to me Cookshack, was another Craigslist score. It included the original paperwork and manuals for when the original owner purchased it in 1987.

You can tell I am a Cookshack fan, and really wanted to go with a Fast Eddie that they build, but it is really hard to justify $2k and up on anything when what I have works fine. They are over built for what they are and the older ones have very simple wiring schemes. All the parts for my old one are avail from them, except one switch which is from Granger.

The only Con's are people who say I am cheating, and if you overload them you dont get as much bark as my family likes.

The Pro's, good food, way too easy and consistant.

Good luck and use whatever you buy.
AggieBQ03
AG
Superdave, how many briskets could you do in the little one and get good results? (Good bark)

Was it truely "set it and forget it"?
What type of wood chips gave you the best results?

Thanks for sharing!
Superdave1993
AG
The smaller one was about two full size briskets, maybe 3 smaller ones. Bark would go down when and where they would touch. Not bad at all, but trying to be as honest as can. There were still plenty of good bits to pick through. My old one was very similar to the newer Model SM009-2's controls and same in size to it and the 45.

New one will hold about the same or a little more than a Fast Eddie 100 likely 5-8 Briskets.

Yes, even without the electronics it was set and forget. I would load it and set the temp at about midnight, and only check to make sure there was smoke before going to bed. I would wake up, check temp, usually pull the meat off between 8:00 and 10:00 am, and be ready to feed by a 12:00 kickoff.

My new, older one, has a variable knob switch, rheostat not thermostat, so it takes a little more tinkering but nothing past the first hour or so to make sure temp is in range. Wife is getting me an iGrill for christmas, so may be back to even less work.

I used small bags of chips from walmart in the smaller one and use chunks in the larger one. One or two handfuls of chips was plenty in the smaller one, so even a small bag lasted a while. Limiting the other variables makes it possible to actually taste the difference in the wood used. I only use mesquite on brisket. Oak, apple, peach and likley my favorite are the Jack Daniels chips on pork and chicken.

Capacity bothered me on the smaller one, but I have fed 20-40 easily with sides so it is not bad at all. I just found myself being asked to occasionaly cook for others and larger crowds was the only reason I mover up in size. If your groups are 5-10 couples and their rug rats around a game with snacks and apps you will be fine. The church youth and football players can put a hurt on some BBQ pretty quick when it is only chips and sandwiches.

Feel free to IM with any questons if this does not answer them all. I looked at all kinds of rigs and set ups before finally ending up here.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
Vernada, thanks for pointing me to the Smokenator. I'll pick up one of those to use when we are back in Houston for a few weeks staying with my parents. My dads keeping my grills in use for me while we are overseas. Been using the little side baskets to do ribs and pork shoulder, but now I'm looking forward to trying out the weber kettle as a water smoker! Should leave more room on the grate as well.
You could also dam up the coals with fire bricks and get a cheap foil pan for a similar effect.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?25107-A-longer-burn-process-for-kettles&highlight=longer+burn+process
AggieBQ03
AG
Thanks. Need to save all this in a word document or something so I don't lose it!
Belton Ag
AG
This thread is awesome. BBQ pitcures, pictures of smokers, and efights. All it needs is some boobs (besides the posters LOL).
agcrock2005
AG

FancyKetchup14
AG
And AgCrock saves the day.
Belton Ag
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.