Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

French fries per person

36,250 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by bmc13
Cen-Tex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Having a fish fry for 45 people. How many lbs of fries should I buy?

there will be other sides, beans, slaw & homemade bread
CajunAggie
AG
I'd go with 25 pounds.

The more important question is: Will you fry the fries in the fish grease?
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
only if he wants LJS fries.
MichaelJ
AG
where are the Mother Effing Hush Puppies...

if you dont have the HP...youre doing it wrong...

and im talkin both regular, and jalapeno
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
and im talkin both jalapeno, and jalapeno

FIFY
RK
AG
quote:
French fries per person

quote:
I'd go with 25 pounds

62strat
AG
From Whataburger's menu:
Small fries 3 oz
Medium fries 4.5 oz
Large fries 6 oz

25 lbs for 45 is 9 oz fries per person. Assuming as a side dish I think that is on the high side.

I'd go ~6-7 ounces per person, or 15-20 lbs.
Icecream_Ag
S
nah go with the 25lbs. that leaves some for snacking while everyone is sitting around drinking after the fish fry.
SpicewoodAg
AG
I agree with 62strat. There might be few in the crowd that will eat 9 oz. of fries. There will be a bunch that eat just a few. If they aren't crispy, hardly anyone will eat them. I think the odds of anyone snacking on cold fries after the meal is done is very low.

[This message has been edited by SpicewoodAg (edited 6/4/2014 2:51p).]
BarryProfit
Your crowd doesn't drink enough.
fuzzyfan
AG
25lbs is the wet weight. I am not sure of the shrinkage of a fried potato, but I bet it is at least 25%. So 25lbs might not be enough.
AustinAgChef
quote:
25lbs is the wet weight. I am not sure of the shrinkage of a fried potato, but I bet it is at least 25%. So 25lbs might not be enough.

But keep in mind that frozen fries have already been blanched so a lot of the weight lost will already be gone from that process. 25 pounds of fries is a lot, especially with other sides available. You should be good with that amount.
fuzzyfan
AG
Sorry, I was thinking fresh.
HtownAg92
AG
You have to account for the number of fatties who will eat more than 9 oz. Let's call that number MFAR (Mean Fat A$s Ratio).

Then you have to reduce the amount by the amount of hushpuppies eaten. Let's call that HPPP (Hush Puppies Per Person).

And then you have to account for the time that it will take to make 25 pounds of fries and timing of when the hushpuppies come out, and overzealous fatties pouncing on the first batches. Let's call that FAJF (Fat A$s Jackal Factor).

Don't forget you will have to hot swap the fish in between batches of fries and pups. Another reduction based on impatience and diminishing interest, and disappointed settling for other sides. Let's call that HTFU (Hurry The F*** Up).

And then you will need to account for the reduced need for fries due to those who will only eat other sides. Let's call that NCNINYDS (No Carb Not Invited Next Year DipSheets).

The formula would look something like:

MFAR*5 - HPPP + FAJF*2 - (HTFU+ NCNINYDS) /3

So the answer is - a metric sheet-ton of fries.

/Silicon Valley
rwtxag83
biobioprof
blue parachute for Htown. lol
SoTXAg09
AG
Most importantly, how well does your equation compress 3D video and what is it's Weissman score?
Lee91
AG
quote:
I'd go with 25 pounds.

For fat America, 25lbs sounds about right.

Fish grease - yuck ! Please do a favor to those of us who don't like fish - for the love of God don't do it !
HtownAg92
AG
Got a solid 3.2 on the Weisman scale, using catfish. Haven't tried it on the 3D equivalent, fried chicken.

quote:
Fish grease - yuck ! Please do a favor to those of us who don't like fish - for the love of God don't do it !

Wait - aren't we talking about a fish fry here? Everything, including the salad, should taste like fish or you aren't doing it right. Everyone there should have a thin layer of fish grease on their skin and should smell like a LJS when they are driving home.

Having to swap out grease, or have a separate vessel for cooking fries, is impractical. You may have to have something else with the tofu you brought to the fish fry instead of fries.
MichaelJ
AG
Is Lee '91 considered a NCNINYDS, or is there another acronym for that kind of complainer?
Lee91
AG
quote:
Is Lee '91 considered a NCNINYDS, or is there another acronym for that kind of complainer?

I have no idea what "NCNINYDS" is, but I'm sure I'm offended !

;-)

I've always wanted to go to a coach's night, but have never attended because of the fish.
bmc13
AG
20 lbs fries, and 20 lbs hush puppies
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.