Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Recipe Request: Square One Chipotle Steak Pasta

2,875 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by agcrock2005
C XX I
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone happen to still have this recipe?
C XX I
Resolved:

quote:
I was the second chef at Square One. This recipe was originated by the founder, Paul Patranella, of Hairy Biker fame. He actually did this recipe on an episode of the show using squirrel instead of beef. At the restaurant, we started with cooked beef and pasta, as previously stated. Brown the beef in olive oil with sliced red onions. Throw in a little garlic at the end of the browning, but don't let it brown. The original recipe simply used cream, but I liked to deglaze the pan with a little marsala first. Add the cream, one whole chipotle with some adobo sauce (just use a big spoon to get the pepper out of the can and whatever sauce comes with it goes in). Bring the cream to a boil and toss in cooked penne pasta until warmed through. Serve immediately.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was the second chef at Square One. This recipe was originated by the founder, Paul Patranella, of Hairy Biker fame. He actually did this recipe on an episode of the show using squirrel instead of beef. At the restaurant, we started with cooked beef and pasta, as previously stated. Brown the beef in olive oil with sliced red onions. Throw in a little garlic at the end of the browning, but don't let it brown. The original recipe simply used cream, but I liked to deglaze the pan with a little marsala first. Add the cream, one whole chipotle with some adobo sauce (just use a big spoon to get the pepper out of the can and whatever sauce comes with it goes in). Bring the cream to a boil and toss in cooked penne pasta until warmed through. Serve immediately.

I was not the "second chef" there, but was from 2003-2004 (there were 3 of us that did the cooking during this time). The above recipe is not what we did for "Chipotle Beef" (what it was called on menu.

melt butter, add in the beef (it was cubed pieces of a prime rib roast (probably 10 lbs) that we seasoned and cooked for about an hour at 450), red onions, S&P and sauté a few minutes. Add mushrooms and minced garlic and cook a couple minutes. Add one chipotle and break up with tongs, continually stirring. Add heavy whipping cream and some adobo sauce. Add cooked penne pasta and toss. Cook until you get the consistency you want. Seemed like the longer you cook, the more spicy is got. This brought back a lot of memories.

If you want any other recipes, I have most of the pastas memorized. Loved that job!
texas.aggie.2010
Agcrock,

How about these?
Della Nona$9.95
Seasoned chicken breast sautéed with fresh rosemary and red onions tossed with fusilli pasta in a gorgonzola cheese cream sauce

Cappellini Parmesan$7.75

Penne Florentine$9.25

Cappellini Parmesan$7.75
Tomato Basil Fondue$7.75
Shrimp & Red Curry Cream Sauces

Shrimp & Prosciutto Alfredo$16.95
Shrimp sautéed with fresh mushrooms, garlic, petite green peas, and thinly sliced prosciutto ham tossed with penne pasta in a creamy alfredo sauce
agcrock2005
AG
^^yes I have those memorized. Give me until tonight and I'll post them. Busy day.
agcrock2005
AG
Oh the memories...still my favorite job ever. DISCLAIMER: These might not be exact because it's been 10 years, but they are very close if not right on.

First:

All chicken in the pastas was boneless chicken breasts that were seasoned in S,P, onion powder and chili powder, then cooked in oven at approximately 450. Each breast was then sliced vertically to make two breasts, then cut into cubes for the pastas.

Della Nona
- sauté red onions, chicken, minced garlic, rosemary and S&P in butter until you're ready to move on. Pour in heavy whipping cream and gorgonzola crumbles. Be careful not to put too much gorgonzola. Can be quite overpowering. Add fusilli pasta and cook to whatever consistency you want. We cooked on a hot fire, so cream sauce will start browning, so be careful. That will definitely change the flavor.

Cappellini Parmesan - one of my favorites. Still cook it at home.
- sauté mushrooms, garlic and S&P in olive oil with dried oregano until you get the right texture on your mushrooms. It didn't come with chicken but most added it. If so, put in at the beginning, or a little after since it's already cooked. Add water and heat up. Add cappellini pasta (or angel hair) and heat up. Add fresh grated parmesan. DISCLAIMER: I add fresh spinach here too.

Penne Florentine - this wasn't very popular, and i'm guessing on some of it.
- sauté red onions, mushrooms and minced garlic in olive oil and S&P with prosciutto. CAN'T REMEMBER IF IT HAD FRESH BASIL, BUT I THINK IT DID. Similar to Cap Parm, came with chicken most of the time. Saute to desired texture, then add water and penne pasta, then cook. Add fresh spinach and fresh parmesan and cook til you're happy.

Tomato Basil Fondue - another top seller that came with chicken most of the time.
- sauté quartered Roma tomatoes in olive oil with S&P, and get where they are soft. Chicken would go in around here as well. Add minced garlic toward the middle of the tomato cook, then water. Add fresh basil, angel hair/cappellini and fresh parmesan.

Shrimp & Red Curry Cream Sauces - this wasn't very popular, but was awesome. Don't understand why it wasn't ordered much.
- sauté red onions and shrimp (deveined, but with tail shell on) in butter with S&P and garlic. Put a blob of red curry paste (not sure what brand or how potent it was) in and mix well. Add heavy whipping cream and make sure all the curry has mixed well with the cream, then add angel hair/cappellini. Add peas and heat up.

Shrimp & Prosciutto Alfredo$16.95
- sauté shrimp with mushrooms and garlic in butter with S&P and sliced prosciutto. Add heavy whipping cream and parmesan to create the alfredo sauce. Easy to burn and make nasty so be careful. When you get the right consistency add penne pasta (I think) and cook until hot.

EDIT: remembered something

[This message has been edited by agcrock2005 (edited 5/20/2014 6:58p).]
Matsui
Tanya 93
Bump since it was asked for and I want to make that angel hair recipe
agcrock2005
AG
Bump because I was trying to remember a recipe and couldn't find my Square One recipe list. Google led me back here. Man I loved working at that place!
Scotts Tot
AG
Thanks for the memories of that place! I asked a girl out in my sophomore year in 2007 and I wanted to do something a little more sophisticated, so I took her to downtown Bryan and we did Square One for our first date.

17 years later we've been married for 15 years and have 3 kids. Hundreds of dates later, Square One was our very first…special memory!
agcrock2005
AG
That's awesome! Congrats.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.