Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Smoking Brisket

9,108 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BlueSmoke
pops2215
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Smoking first brisket....How does wveryone do brisket? Temperature, time, covered/uncovered, rub, basting sauce, bbq sause, etc? I am using mix of pecan and mesquite... Tips appreciated!
bonfirewillburn
AG
DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE DONE????

It has begun.
dsvogel05
AG
This will not end well...

I smoke at 225 for 1.5 hrs per pound fat side up. I like Bolner's Fiesta Brisket Rub. Some people say coat the brisket with mustard and then season, but I like to use olive oil so that the seasoning will adhere. I don't use foil or anything, maybe a water pan if it's a big brisket, but I have a big green egg so I don't worry too much about drying out. Best of luck.
Max06
AG
Outdoors Board, FAQ thread. All you need to know.

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?forum_id=34&topic_id=771828

[This message has been edited by Max06 (edited 1/13/2012 8:17a).]
bonfirewillburn
AG
OLIVE OIL!!!!!! Save that for the pasta, this is BBQ and serious bis-ness

Just apply the rub a few hours before/overnight. The salt in the rub will pull out some of the moisture and proteins, and help adhere your rub. You may need to add a bit more rub every few hours.

If you want a good bark, this is a great way to get it. Those proteins that are pulled out will help a lot!

[This message has been edited by bonfirewillburn (edited 1/13/2012 9:30a).]
Sooner Born
This thread will not end well. Someone will say fat side up. Someone else will say fat side down. Someone will say 225 for temp, someone else will say 275. Someone will say they use an elaborate rub. Someone will say S&P only. Some people will say to use only oak. Some will say use a blend of everything including the picnic table. Some will admit to using foil. Others will ridicule foil users. All posts will end with "/EOT". Throughout all of this Driveon will tell us all about the BGE and BWB will post cryptic messages written like the cooking version of Rainman.

/EOT

[This message has been edited by Sooner Born (edited 1/13/2012 9:14a).]
bonfirewillburn
AG
quote:
Throughout all of this Driveon will tell us all about the BGE and BWB will post cryptic messages written like the cooking version of Rainman.

HAHAHA

I'm on the floor!!!!

<laugh/cry face>

AG
Only comment I will say is you can't do it by time. 1.5 hr/lb is an rough estimate for planning. Every brisket is different. The only way to know its done is by temperature - 190 to 200 is what I shoot for.

-- Lee
beagle2009
AG
1. Lightly brush with olive oil, coat with Perini Ranch Rub generously. Wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate over night.
http://www.food.com/recipe/perini-ranch-steak-rub-16278
*I like to add brown sugar to this recipe as well. I've experienced it adds another dimension to the crust, caramelizing very nicely.

2. Set up your grill for indirect cooking. I prefer Mesquite wood/chips. When your grill temp reaches 225, put the brisket on fat side UP.

3. Make sure you are smoking for at least the first 2-3 hours. Many will disagree, but after this point the meat will absorb little to no more smoke flavor. Just keep checking your coals to make sure you are at 225 through the entire cook. As previously mentioned, you will most likely need to cook 1.5hrs per lb of brisket.

4. Pull the meat off the grill once the INTERNAL temp of the meat reaches 180-190. From here, Wrap tightly in foil and place in your oven, or a beer cooler wrapped in towels. Let rest for 2 hours if you have the time.

5. Remove brisket from foil, slice immediately. You want to time everything out just right since brisket is best served straight from the cook/rest. It will lose alot of moisture if you pre-slice.

Most of all, make sure you have nothing else to do that day and plenty of beer. Nothing beats babying a brisket all day with a cold-one in your hand the entire time. Check out this website for ALOT more info and tips:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

Post a pic when you're done!
rhoswen
AG
just read the OB thread and decide what works best for you/your smoker. Very hard to **** up, as long as you stick to "low and slow" rule and have a thermometer.

FYI I pull it off and stick it in a cooler at 160.
pops2215
Thanks all... Brisket is on trying to keep the temp down!
BurnetAggie99
I start with using Butcher BBQ Brisket Injection. Then I rub the brisket down with yellow mustard. I then use Bubba's Bar-B-Q Beef rub. I let sit in the Icebox 24 hours before smoking. Next I start soaking wood. I smoke with Mesquite, Pecan, and Post Oak. I also use pecan shells. I then fill up my water pan with water and apple juice in my pit. My water pan allows the smoke to be a wet smoke. Once the Temp is 265 degress I put the brisket on the pit. Usually 1 hour per pound is a rule of thumb. I only smoke with Mesquite for the first 2 hours to get the deep smoke flavor and nice crust. Then I mix pecan and post oak the rest of the way and also throw in pecan shells to maintain the 265 degree temp. I also mix some beer, water, and apple juice in a spray bottle and spray the brisket to add flavor but keep it moist along with the wet smoke that comes from my water pan in the BBQ pit.

[This message has been edited by BurnetAggie99 (edited 1/14/2012 12:27p).]
phatpat21
My dad BBQs brisket over low mesquite fire in the pit all night
Can't beat it
FIDO*98*
AG
Pulled Pork >>>>>> Smoked Brisket

There I said it. Take the Lone Star covered glasses off and you're forced to admit I'm right
h1ag
AG
My mantra for brisket cooking is "you can't pick the cow" meaning, that you can worry, nitpick and get super involved in all aspects down to picking out single pieces of wood for that one particular cold corner in the smoker, etc., and in the end, there is always the chance that you get a brisket from a bad cow that was destined from the beginning to be tough.

I approach the whole process as an enjoyable few hours outside, preferrably with a few brews cooking a big man-sized piece of meat. Enjoy it.

If you know and adhere to whatever process you have studied, developed, whatever, you will be able to appreciate or cringe at differences between individual briskets over time; however, in my experience, the people eating with you will always be appreciative and will practically never be able to nitpick.

That being said, all the briskets I have cooked have either been served to drunks at tailgates or at any number of events out here in Hawaii with people who had never before seen a brisket, so that helps.
Slicer97
AG
drive on, while I normally respect your culinary opinions, I have to say that in this instance you are incorrect

Not "I disagree", you're just plain wrong
FIDO*98*
AG
You're not gonna like what I put in the wing thread then
bonfirewillburn
AG
Brisket is good.

Pork is Great!

AG
It's all good. Some days are pulled pork days, others are brisket days....

I usually try and do one of each when I fire up the smoker...and I am starting to get the itch again.
TXAG 05
AG
They are both good, but brisket is better, sorry.
FIDO*98*
AG
Pulled Pork comes from the same animal which gives us bacon. Case closed
Tree Hugger
AG
I make a mean pulled pork, but I'd prefer brisket any day of the week.
army01
AG
quote:
Pulled Pork comes from the same animal which gives us bacon

And brisket comes from the same animal that gives us ribeyes, prime rib, and man cards.
TXAG 05
AG
BOOM!
FIDO*98*
AG
NY Strip/Strip Loin >>>> Rib Eye/Prime Rib

At least give your argument some teeth
Slicer97
AG
Wow, that's twice on one thread that drive on has been wrong
chipotle
quote:
NY Strip/Strip Loin >>>> Rib Eye/Prime Rib

troll
FIDO*98*
AG
Troll? Ha! Ribeyes are for back yard gas grill hacks. At best, 30% of it is calotte and the rest is plain old eye meat or unpalatable, unbound fat.

On the other hand, the Prime NY strip, king of all beef, champion of connoisseurs and aficionados, is a single muscle that is perfectly marbled, perfectly tender, and close to 100% edible. 2.5" Tomahawk cut preferred please.

edwardsk2003
AG
bump for fun
B-1 83
AG
quote:
dba fido
posted 9:55a, 01/16/12

Pulled Pork comes from the same animal which gives us bacon. Case closed

So does head cheese.....
Ag83
AG
I smell yankees on this thread.
Nick Papageorgio
AG
quote:
Prime NY strip, king of all beef
edwardsk2003
AG
Bump for fun......
Splitag
AG
Anyone who claims pulled pork is better than brisket should have to use their real name and be publicly shamed! In a time when you are allowed to be offended by anything and everything, I can guarantee you that I am VERY OFFENDED!!! (maybe even triggered)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.