Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

2,108,645 Views | 13366 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by FriendlyAg
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Objective Aggie said:

But have you had Dolce & Gabbana at a swanky Italian beach club lost in the Mediterranean?


Had no idea that was a thing. Tasting notes?
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last purchase of the year! William and Mary. Good wine. Great people.
WestUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice dinner tonight in Napa
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There it is! Ive been waiting for one these posts!
WestUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Touche
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BSD said:

Objective Aggie said:

But have you had Dolce & Gabbana at a swanky Italian beach club lost in the Mediterranean?


Had no idea that was a thing. Tasting notes?

I love Pugliese and Sicilian wines. Red or white. Incredibles values. Lack the pedigrees of Tuscany or France or Napa but something beautiful in their simplicity.

D&G worked with Donnafugata which is a great start. I don't know if you like Etna Bianco but it is such an smooth and clean white. This one is from the slopes of Mount Etna so expect volcanic influences and more minerality. A balance of citrus and herbal and mineral. Which sounds broad but that's what I felt. Smooth and crisp with a lot more character and complexity than you might expect from a typical white.

Yes, this is luxury fashion branding but it is high quality wine. Given i paid 50Euro at a rather upscale location it absolutely delivered. Not sure where to get in the US (saw some Donnafugata reds were in Total Wine near me) but given the branding this would make a great gift for someone who appreciates luxury brands.


cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last month. Milan.

Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cecil77 said:

Last month. Milan.




As the godfather of this thread, what did you think?!
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To be honest I don't remember the specifics other than we really liked it. It was with a meal and we're usually just enjoying everything and not really evaluating.
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found a nice dessert in Vegas.

WestUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dinner in Napa
WestUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Happy hour at Dunn Vineyards- drank the 1979 with Mike Dunn- first vintage ever produced by Dunn.


jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
High altitude coastal wines are my jam.
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Happy 15th birthday to this thread!

Seems like yesterday. Thanks to all who post and read. Wine is such a great way for people to connect - the age and experience range is large but the commonality of wine brings us all together.

I hope it goes another 15, and hope that I'm able to enjoy wine at (gulp) 86.

Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cheers to that, cecil! Good to take stock of the time every now and then. I enjoy talking wine here and seeing what others bring to the table, so to speak.

Had some of a fairly rich champagne last night. Not my normal jam when it comes to champagne, this one was full bodied. Been back on a sparkling kick lately though. One reason for that is accepting a job and moving here shortly. Need to work on trimming the cellar a bit! Will miss living in wine country but will definitely make it back as a visitor from time to time.
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Speaking of sparkling, here is a domestic one that I had last week that blew my socks off. This was a great wine.
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got a late 90's Dunn I'm keeping in stock for something... not sure what but it will be epic.
WestUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why wait? Pop it tonight. Life is short!
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's generally direction with bottles. Maybe a Christmas bottle this year.
EclipseAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cecil77 said:

Happy 15th birthday to this thread!

Seems like yesterday. Thanks to all who post and read. Wine is such a great way for people to connect - the age and experience range is large but the commonality of wine brings us all together.

I hope it goes another 15, and hope that I'm able to enjoy wine at (gulp) 86.



I'm a latecomer to this thread but I sincerely enjoy it. I've learned a lot from all of you!
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chipotlemonger said:

Cheers to that, cecil! Good to take stock of the time every now and then. I enjoy talking wine here and seeing what others bring to the table, so to speak.

Had some of a fairly rich champagne last night. Not my normal jam when it comes to champagne, this one was full bodied. Been back on a sparkling kick lately though. One reason for that is accepting a job and moving here shortly. Need to work on trimming the cellar a bit! Will miss living in wine country but will definitely make it back as a visitor from time to time.


Bouzy is mostly pinot noir, so it would make sense that it's a richer bubbly. It also happens to be my favorite region.
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good to know! My wife mentioned Pinot Noir as the grape billing but I didn't know about Bouzy off the top of my head.

I have grown to really like Meunier-driven Champagnes, personally.
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this the best $20wine in Sam's Club history? Likely.
SupermachJM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heck yeah it is! I keep going back by hoping for some other clearance bottle to pop up.
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cecil77 said:

To be honest I don't remember the specifics other than we really liked it. It was with a meal and we're usually just enjoying everything and not really evaluating.


I'm always learning from the godfather. Enjoy everything and stop evaluating. Got it.
QBCade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New one last night. SE 2003 was the winner, but not worth the $$$. I'm prob going to sell my other bottle.


cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Poor baby, having to choose between Harlan and SE. Oh the humanity!!

dsvogel05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How did you come across a bottle of SE, let alone 2? Are you on their list? I've been on the waiting list for about 5 years now.
QBCade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Auction. I buy everything from auctions
QBCade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you for your concern. It was a challenge to step into this breach.
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dsvogel05 said:

How did you come across a bottle of SE, let alone 2? Are you on their list? I've been on the waiting list for about 5 years now.


I've been "on the list" since around 1999. Everything was snail mail back then and I moved and forgot to tell them. I must have missed my letter because I emailed about a decade ago and they didn't have me on the wait list anymore. So I signed up again. Haven't heard anything yet. Likely never will.

That said, I passed on several bottles at list price. Based on tasting notes and opinions from people I know, I'd prefer other wines at the price.

Someday I'm sure I'll try it. If I don't, no worries.
FriendlyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cecil77 said:

Poor baby, having to choose between Harlan and SE. Oh the humanity!!




First Page Refresh
Page 382 of 382 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.