Seeking help for a WWII vet that passed yesterday

987 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ag_of_08
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Friends at a local pd contacted me this morning in refetence to a WW2 vet that passed. He has no living relatives, and their police association is trying to raise money for either a cremation or burial.

Are their any veterans groups that may be able to help? Even if it's not financial assistance, it would be nice to see more than a piper and a few officers at a man who fought for and was wounded in service to his country with the USMC.

If there is someone who can point them in the right direction, I will connect you to the detective via his city email. I dont have permission to post his name yet( I'm told they're wrapping up the case, but I do have permission to post this), and staff if you need to speak with me about legitimacy I will put you in direct contact with the detective as well.

Thanks and gig'em
F4GIB71
Is there a Veteran cemetery near you? Fort Sam has monthly burials for those without any family.
F4GIB71
Ag_of_08
AG
Houston is our closest one I believe. They're just trying to raise the funds for cremation
Tango.Mike
VA has an unclaimed veteran assistance program.

1-800-827-1000
cavscout96
AG
yes. VA should be able to help secure a plot and provide a headstone.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/claims-special-burial.asp

other places to ask for help would be VFW / American Legion / Disabled Veterans of America (DAV) any of these organizations should be able to assist in working with the VA
Hey Nav
AG
Texas Veterans Land Board assistance...

https://vlb.texas.gov/cemeteries/unaccompanied/index.html
Ag_of_08
AG
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=798095899140200

If you need to contact the detective helping arrange it, the email is jcourts@cityofvidor.com

Patriot guard will transport him, and we have almost enough for the cremation. I will look into those as well, but what they're being told, at least in the short term, is there is only about 250$ in assistance available fornthe actual cremation. We have, in no small part through the amazing news of a poster here, raised about 900$ over the last few hours, with more coming in. We hope to hold a memorial service there and in Houston..

The man deserves to be remembered. Every single person who has risked their lives in service of their country does.
Ag_of_08
AG
We raised about 2700 as of the last time i spoke with the detective! All of the minimal burial and transport costs are covered now, and the generosity of those who helped, and those who wish to come is greatly appreciated.

The plan looks to be sometime after Wednesday ( I will know soon) there will be a local service in vidor with at least a piper and a memorial before he's transfered to Houston, with the service there at the national cemetery . I know several here have interest, and I will make sure to update next week as we know more.
Smeghead4761
It might sound silly, but the social media entity U.S. Army WTF! Moments routinely posts Call for Attendance for unaccompanied veteran funerals. They posted one in Abilene TX earlier today.

They can be contacted at connect@armywtfmoments.com
Aggie Therapist
AG
+1 on ARMYWTFMOMENTS

I've actually attended two burials for complete strangers from announcements posted and being in the area.

Huge following.
Ag_of_08
AG
We do not know when the burial in Houston will be yet, we are still waiting on confirmation of eligibility and a time schedule( his records where destroyed in one of the fires, all we have is a certificate of service the VA had and the funeral home is awaiting word back ). I will update when/if I have more.

There will be a funeral service at Vidor Memorial Funeral Home Friday at 2pm for Mr. Cochran.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.