Active duty driver's license renewal

7,910 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by bigtruckguy3500
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Driver's license is going to be expiring soon, and I'm on the DPS website and it says
Quote:

If you are an active duty military member, spouse or dependent, and you are stationed outside the state of Texas, the expiration date of your Texas driver license or identification card is automatically extended unless your driver license has been suspended, canceled, or revoked.

That sounds cool. But if I get pulled over by a cop in Virginia, are they going to buy that?

Is it easier to just renew it? I don't anticipate getting back in state for at least another 6+ months after my license is set to expire.

source: https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/driver-license/renew-or-replacing-your-dl-or-id-while-you-are-out-state
cavscout96
AG
As long as you are on AD and you have your AD ID card and your expired TXDL, you will be fine.

Used same in GA when DL required several times (only once for a traffic stop), no issues.

Better bet, don't do anything that will get you pulled over.....
74OA
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Driver's license is going to be expiring soon, and I'm on the DPS website and it says
Quote:

If you are an active duty military member, spouse or dependent, and you are stationed outside the state of Texas, the expiration date of your Texas driver license or identification card is automatically extended unless your driver license has been suspended, canceled, or revoked.

That sounds cool. But if I get pulled over by a cop in Virginia, are they going to buy that?

Is it easier to just renew it? I don't anticipate getting back in state for at least another 6+ months after my license is set to expire.

source: https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/driver-license/renew-or-replacing-your-dl-or-id-while-you-are-out-state
IIRC, back in the day TxDOT provided a wallet card which quoted the relevant Texas law about active duty with an expired license. It was designed to make an out of state traffic stop go smoother.

Personally, I'd just do the free out of state renewal for peace of mind.
Koko Chingo
AG
I originally enlisted in CA and had a CA drivers license when I joined. They have essentially the same rule as TX about expiration.

I remember getting pulled over on I-40 in NM almost to the TX border by the NM State Police. I was doing about 15 over; headed to the Houston area to see family.

I handed the cop a license that was expired 12 years prior. He was pissed off and immediately started reading me the riot act. I started laughing and it set him off even more. He kept going on, and I kept laughing more and more. The more pissed off he got the funnier I thought it was and we were in a good loop that didn't seem like it was going to end.

My wife finally yelled at all of us and told the cop I was active duty so the license is still valid. He calmed down and actually let me get a word in. I handed him my ID Card. He said he was just going to run my name and if everything came back clear give me a warning.

Then he said he was in the Marine Corps. My reply was, "I can tell." And he walked back to the patrol car.

He returned with my old CA license, Military ID and a speeding ticket for 8 over.....

Smeghead4761
I lived in CA when I got my commission. I got a wallet card from the DMV, which helped when I got pulled over on I-185 heading into Columbus, GA.

WA state actually puts "MILITARY" as the expiration on the DL for active duty personnel and dependents.
Pro Sandy
AG
Been pulled over and had my seemingly expired Texas DL. Cop called it in to confirm it was valid, but no issue.

Only place it was an issue was pass and id to get a new CAC. They wouldn't accept it, so had to bring in my SS card.
Fly Army 97
You may have a hard time renting a care depending on the service. They sometimes don't care.
Outlaw0206
AG
You can renew it online. I did it last year. Only thing you will have to do is drop by the optometry clinic on base to get them to give you a quick eye test and sign the paper. Then you mail it in with the other document and a check for the fee. I was skeptical at first but it worked.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/driver-license/renew-or-replacing-your-dl-or-id-while-you-are-out-state
Zulu451
AG
I have had a Texas DL with a NY address on it, and now a TX DL with a CO address on it. As long as the address is current your good.
Jack Ruby
Is the expiration date extended indefinitely? Admittedly, mine is 2.5 yrs expired because it's been near impossible to get home due to being active duty and recent covid restrictions. Also, I must physically go to a DPS location for renewal (can't do it online- my ID picture is 14 years old). Is it just as easy as making an appointment and walking in? Thankfully I won't have a car for awhile due to my job/location, but I'd rather get this done soon. I should be home over Christmas.
Matt_ag98
Jack Ruby said:

Is the expiration date extended indefinitely? Admittedly, mine is 2.5 yrs expired because it's been near impossible to get home due to being active duty and recent covid restrictions. Also, I must physically go to a DPS location for renewal (can't do it online- my ID picture is 14 years old). Is it just as easy as making an appointment and walking in? Thankfully I won't have a car for awhile due to my job/location, but I'd rather get this done soon. I should be home over Christmas.

I did mine with the online appointment thing and honestly was in and out in 10 minutes, one of the only good things to come from COVID times honestly
TXAGBQ76
AG
They are renewing now for eight years, you can renew two years early, which makes it ten years before your next renewal.
sbs
AG
I did 21 years in the Army and was never stationed in Texas. I got a ticket a year before I retired in Arkansas and it got thrown out because the name in the database didn't match mine. When I finally moved back to Texas I renewed my license. Since mine had been expired for about 20 years my DL# got reissued to someone else. Who would have thought that.
bigtruckguy3500
Well, visiting Texas for a week. After getting down here remembered I needed to renew, so made an appointment. Turns out you need a birth certificate or passport to renew and prove citizenship or legal residence in the US. They wouldn't let me renew, and I didn't bring those documents with me. Not going to spend a day at the court house trying to get issues a certified birth certificate.

Kinda pissed, but I guess my fault for not reading up the requirements before coming down here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.