Any Army War College students/grads here?

2,816 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Last Cobra Commander
Noblemen06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Air Force has seen fit to send me to Carlisle Barracks next summer for USAWC. I just moved to the NCR for a HAF staff assignment this summer after three years in Okinawa, so my wife and daughter will be staying at our house in Alexandria while I geo-bach the academic year and (hopefully) can commute back/forth on weekends.

Any insight into the Carlisle area, cheap accommodations to diminish the dual-household costs (I plan to explore the "business traveler/extended stay" hotels for monthy rates in comparison to an apartment), geo-bachelor tenability, and academic experience I should prepare for are greatly appreciated.
cavscout96
AG
I don't understand the geo-bach thing. Don't you spend too much time away from your family already?

You may have a different perspective, but you only get one shot to raise your kid(s).
OldArmyCT
AG
You must have older kids. But surely you're moving again after AWC, why not bring wife and kids with you? Military schools are usually some of the better assignments, especially with a spouse. Plus you're hanging out with a higher class of officers.
Noblemen06
AG
Short answer is that I'm coming right back to the Pentagon afterward, so we'd be moving twice in a year to the same place (when we bought a house in Alexandria before getting here). Wife transferred to a job in the NCR when we moved here in June, as well. Geo-bachelor choice is more for their stability than anything (and it indeed is not my favorite).
Smeghead4761
My only experience with Carlisle has been going there TDY, so not the same thing. I do remember that the outskirts of Harrisburg (west side, IIRC) wasn't that far away - maybe 15-20 minutes. I just remember driving there to do to Barnes & Noble. But it might have more options if you can handle driving a little.

My impression was that the vast majority of the students lived on post.

And things could be worse - they could have sent you to Maxwell.
Noblemen06
AG
Thanks! …and no kidding about Maxwell
Warrior 66
My time at the Army War College was a long time ago (Class of 2000), but it was one of the best years of my military career - both for me and my family.

Back then (can't speak for what they currently have for a daily schedule) there was lots of down time (usually in class in the morning - afternoons were for the most part free) which allowed for catching up on good family time. There were also lots of social events, both with your seminar and also with the entire AWC class. We also played sports (softball, volleyball, basketball) as seminars, which included a lot of socializing, and kids were usually a big part of that. We made some great friends there, as did our kids. We lived on post (Smurf Village) and virtually every day we had an informal social gathering with our neighbors and their kids on the back porches. Again, a LOT of time to socialize and catch up on family time. My wife and I took a ball room dancing class (along with several other AWC couples), we joined an on post bowling league with neighbors, and we had a lot of parties with our neighbors and AWC seminar mates at each others houses. I also got back in shape there, as I had the time to run and hit the gym almost daily at Carlisle.

We also had many "roadrunners" whose families lived in D.C while they were at AWC. They usually had the time to drive home to D.C. Friday afternoon, but in some cases they did miss out on some of the informal social activities over the weekend. But the ones I knew who did that always managed to find a "balance" and were still an integral part of the seminar, the social events, and the overall war college experience. You would not be alone if you chose to keep your family in D.C while you attended AWC. There will be others there who are doing the same thing.

I had just come back from a deployment when I went to Carlisle, so it could not have been timed better for my family and me. Its still considered one of the best years of my career by my entire family. I highly recommend you make the most of it, as it truly is a great year. Have great year at Carlisle! And win Jim Thorpe Sports Days!
armymom
Get an RV and live in it.
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
Anybody doing/done the distance learning path?
"The leftist is driven by something other than facts and can't be cured."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.