Current Outfit Personalities

8,398 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
WildAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the best way to get a pulse on current corps outfits?

I'm assuming BQs are still BQs E-2 and E-1 are still E-1 and E-2 but how have other outfits made it through the various reformations?

Trying to share some wisdom with an incoming fish.
92AG10
AG
The outfits change year-to-year as seniors depart and new fish arrive.
mortal
AG
Now that they shuffle white belts around between outfits, aren't the outfits losing their identity? There's no guarantee the upper-class people will be there for any kind of continuity from year to year anymore, is there?
CT'97
AG
They aren't shuffling whole white belt classes, just leadership roles to get strong leaders in every unit. Units have plenty of continuity for outfit traditions to be maintained.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
bigtruckguy3500
I know I would've hated it if we had a whitebelt from another outfit just waltz in and become our 1st sgt or CO, but then it would've been our fault for not putting up a better candidate.

That being said, outfits change even without any shuffling of leadership. I know if anyone tells me they're interested in joining the corps, I tell them what my old outfit was, but I never say they should definitely join. There were a few good ones that I used to say were good for about 3-4 years after I graduated, but a few years ago one of the crappy outfits full of a bunch of lazy turds actually placed in a major unit flag award. Don't know how that happened, but kudos to the leadership that started that turn around.

Anyways, tl;dr, only way to really know is to talk to current or recently graduated cadets, or do SNWC.
army79
Check out SQ17. My sons both enjoyed being in that outfit.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
I was not in the Corp. Having said that, my son will be the First Sergeant in C Battery of the FTAB. He was also a member of the '24 Fish Drill Team, exhibition block, and was an FDT Advisor last year. He was the best drilled fish in the FTAB and the best drilled sophomore in the Corps. I share that not to brag, although I am very proud of him, but because I am told that not long ago, there was practically zero BQ participation in FDT, whereas now the number of BQs in FDT ranges from 30-40%. I think that statistic says something about the typical BQ these days and maybe about the typical CT. I have had the privilege of getting to meet several of my son's '24 FDT buddies and I can tell you they are some seriously outstanding young men and women who are redass Aggies and just damn fine people.

If I was looking for an outfit that was motivated and made up of high performing, hard charging cadets, I would see if there were former FDT pissheads and juniors in leadership roles in that outfit. They know how to follow and how to lead and sacrifice.

My son said F-1, now disbanded, used to be a good source of FDT fish. Where will the '26 FDT come from?
12thmanfootball
AG
How's K-2 doing?

No females, I hope.
OldArmyCT
AG
12thmanfootball said:

How's K-2 doing?

No females, I hope.
In my day K-2 was 1 of 2 Day Duck outfits. No females but Day Ducks got laid a lot more than the other CT's.
H-2/'73.
74OA
AG
How on earth does a BQ have enough time for the Band and also be on the Drill Team? There's not enough hours in the day…..
BoerneGator
AG
I'd imagine Gator 2 (Easy Come, Easy Go) is copacetic...?
aggiejim70
AG
74OA said:

How on earth does a BQ have enough time for the Band and also be on the Drill Team? There's not enough hours in the day…..
I was wondering the same thing. What I've always been curious about is what percentage of Fish Drill Team members are graduates of Texas A&M.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Rabid Cougar
AG
12thmanfootball said:

How's K-2 doing?

No females, I hope
Waiting for E-2 to go Female. World will come to an end.
92AG10
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

12thmanfootball said:

How's K-2 doing?

No females, I hope
This happened several years ago.
bigtruckguy3500
74OA said:

Happened maybe 10 years ago now. But band switched to mostly all morning practice. FDT no longer practices as much as they used to in the 90s and before. So it works out.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
74OA said:

He's definitely busy. BQs make up about 40% of FDT.
JABQ04
AG
When FDT came back in 2001 or 2002 Qs were on it. One of the hounds was a Q as well, if I remember correctly.
the_batman26
AG
I think C-1 and D-1 are gone now. I was pretty shocked by C-1.

Edit: Turns out D-1 is in a Regiment now. Go figure.
death from below
‘18
Catag94
AG
My son is an incoming Fish for SQ23. I was not in the Corps (big regret), so someone please tell me good/bad about SQ23 please.
AgLaw02
AG
WildAg08 said:

…I'm assuming BQs are still BQs…
At least back in the day there was a significant difference in culture between the band outfits. I graduated in '02, and it seemed like it had been that way for years.
ABATTBQ87
AG
AgLaw02 said:

WildAg08 said:

…I'm assuming BQs are still BQs…
At least back in the day there was a significant difference in culture between the band outfits. I graduated in '02, and it seemed like it had been that way for years.

Back in the 80s Artillery Band outfits were outstanding: A Battery won the Hochmuth, B Battery produced Eric Smith

Infantry Band was not good athletically but excelled in grades. We considered them the Band equivalent of a wing outfit
Prexys Moon
AG
92AG10 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

12thmanfootball said:

How's K-2 doing?

No females, I hope
C2 is in second regiment with E2 and is still all male.
cavscout96
cavscout96
AG

E2 might be currently all -male, but there are no restrictions on females joining E2
92AG10
AG
Prexys Moon said:

92AG10 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

12thmanfootball said:

How's K-2 doing?

No females, I hope
C2 is in second regiment with E2 and is still all male.
E-2 has not been an all-male outfit since 2017 and had a female commander c/o '20.
rgleml
AG
Back in my day, M-1 was a great outfit, but it doesn't exist anymore. Is there a new unit that is medical related?
2004FIGHTINTXAG
12thmanfootball said:

How's K-2 doing?

No females, I hope.

K-2 had some females in my day 2000-04. N-1 also had females.
H1, E2 and C2 were all male in the regiment.
TXAGBQ76
AG
They moved drill to 6AM instead of late afternoon when I was there. The BQs have been extremely successful in the last number of years:
- lots of FDT members
- RVs
- Cav
- senior Corps leadership like Corps Commander and Deputy Corps Commander
- student government and other campus wide orgs
- heck, this years Combined Band CO was attending med school

This is a just a few off the top of my head
Froppe
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

They moved drill to 6AM instead of late afternoon when I was there. The BQs have been extremely successful in the last number of years:
- lots of FDT members
- RVs
- Cav
- senior Corps leadership like Corps Commander and Deputy Corps Commander
- student government and other campus wide orgs
- heck, this years Combined Band CO was attending med school

This is a just a few off the top of my head

What, no mention of:
-Hits on corps turds
-BQ Angels "passing in review"
-Publishing an underground newspaper, aka "Country Club Gazette"
-Late night munchie runs "Goo Hoo, Jack!"

What in the Wide World of Sports is going on here?
(Hopefully, everything is protected by statutes of limitations....)
Someguy292
Pretty sure C-2 has be intergrated as well
Prexys Moon
AG
Someguy292 said:

Pretty sure C-2 has be intergrated as well
My son is in C2. It is still all male.
greerwd18
AG
E2 was integrated in the 2017-18 school year. They passed over the old guidon and imported a wag for XO
Ol Jock 99
AG
Bump. One of my best friends (E1 99) son is going to be a fish in the fall, pursuing an army contract. What's the pulse on Brigade outfits these days.
Misplaced Aggie
AG
BDE are doing OK, B2 has the highest amount of army contracts, followed by E1, I1 and D2
Jock 07
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Bump. One of my best friends (E1 99) son is going to be a fish in the fall, pursuing an army contract. What's the pulse on Brigade outfits these days.

Well the answer would seem abundantly clear.

One of my buddies from my days working at STRATCOM was a bull recently on the AFROTC staff in the Trigon. I visited him recently when I was back in TX picking up a new truck I had ordered to drive back. I swung by College Station and visited with him. He took me by the dorms and I was able to meet some of the current E-1 cadet leadership and shot the **** with them for a while. After that visit I can assure you, and your buddy, that the outfit is in good hands and just as good a choice when you and I were there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.