Minot AFB

7,861 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by CanyonAg77
aznaggiegirl07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone there? Have been there? or anyone you know that is currently there?

I have questions. Thank you
Hey Nav
AG
Why not Minot?
aznaggiegirl07
AG
that is, what everyone is saying...

I'm at Cannon...which they are saying it's the Minot of the south...so, just looking for perspective.
CanyonAg77
AG
Best thing about Cannon is that it is only 4 hours from NM mountains. Except for this year, when they're all on fire.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Hey Nav said:

Why not Minot?

Freezing s the reason
Hey Nav
AG
So, I am a class of '80. I'm old, My friends are all old that were at Minot.

What do you do for a living?

Everyone i knew were either B-52 or Missile guys. To a person. in spite of all the jokes, they liked it there (but I think they all had families.)
aznaggiegirl07
AG
I'm a dietitian…
Jock 07
AG
Was there from 08-12 to include the flood. Had never been so damn cold in my life. Was talking with an old buddy from up there a few weeks ago and got on the google maps to see what all is up there now. As limited it might be now there's a helluva lot more now then there was then. I distinctly remember there being a line out the door at Olive Garden for a solid month after it opened. This pretty much sums up Minot. Only hope of BBQ is smoking yourself. It was 4 years of college all over again with many many nights spent on sports on tap, or as the locals called it Air Force on tap.

Pro tip: moving up there with a 2WD truck is not advisable.

Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions, I think I have a contact or two up there right now.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
I hear Minot has been developed due to the people that moved there for oil.

Honestly, I'm struggling with loneliness and depression. Will I be struggling up there too? I'm trying to get perspective.

CanyonAg77
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

Honestly, I'm struggling with loneliness and depression. Will I be struggling up there too? I'm trying to get perspective.

So sorry to hear. MInot may be like Clovis. Good for family people, not so much for singles. Just be glad you're an officer (or contractor, whichever it is) and getting decent pay. Imagine how bad it is for enlisted, with limited budgets.

My Favorite Pilot spent two tours at Columbus AFB. While it was a good place for her and her avid hunter husband, she mentioned how poor the schools were, and the vast gulf between the haves and have-nots, with almost no middle class.

Can you imagine having to send your kids to those schools, or struggling to send them to a private school on an enlisted salary?

I'm sure everyone has suggested churches and other civic activity to engage in and help with the loneliness, but what about travel? From Clovis, there are some pretty easy day trips to get the heck out of the house.

Grulla National Wildlife Refuge
Palo Duro Canyon and Caprock Canyons State Parks in my area, as well as Buffalo Lake NWR.
Lincoln, NM
Ruidoso, NM
Lubbock if you need night life
Further out, Santa Fe, ABQ, Red River, even Southern Colorado.

Don't know how much longer you have in Clovis, but I'd be glad to advise on any travel, know the area well. Wife and I will be glad to host you for PD Canyon.

For Mint, start poring over Google Maps and see what is in the area.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
I blame the shifty 50 for not developing Clovis to what it could be, haha

I've looked at the area via Google and it looks so much better than what Clovis is, lol
74OA
AG
Believe it or don't, but Minot is surprisingly popular within a certain USAF demographic.

If you're an outdoorsy type who likes hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, winter sports and appreciate a locale that has a reasonable cost of living and low crime rate, Minot might be for you.

Personally, I avoided it like the plague.
Wev
AG
I was at Minot AFB from 08-10. It was one of my favorite assignments. The locals are very nice and there are plenty of outdoor things to do -- fishing, hunting -- even snow skiing.

The weather was challenging (for a Texan). Cold winters with short days.

I have a buddy -- retired military, now a USAF civilian, and local, who is up there. I've not talked to him in a while, but if helpful, I can try to make a connection.
Noblemen06
AG
Minot was my first assignment; was there '06-'09 (the "fun" years of failing the AF for inadvertently flying 6 nukes cross-country and then having to regain its credibility).

Minot had hands down the best base community/camaraderie I've experienced in 15 years & 8 assignments (conus and oconus on multiple occasions), even when work was crappy. Something about the environment, remoteness, and shared "embracing the suck" made for tight bonds.

It is a hard place to be depressed, though. I went through a divorce there and the climate/isolation made it even more difficult. It does get dark for a significant portion of the year…the same part where it is tremendously cold (obscenely cold to this central Texan).

If you aren't seeing someone about depression, I recommend you do. Some parts of Minot may be an upgrade from Cannon (I'd go to Minot again 2x on Sunday before opting for Cannon) but you shouldn't weather the hard parts alone. Good luck and make the most of it!
Get Off My Lawn
aznaggiegirl07 said:

If your goal is male companionship, I assume the ratio up there is highly favorable (roughnecks and flyboys a plenty), but seasonal depression is also a consideration as you go further north. Perpetual gray (even sunny winter days have significant declination) can wear on a person. Outdoor winter activities can certainly help in northern latitudes, though, if that's something you'd enjoy!
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

aznaggiegirl07 said:

If your goal is male companionship, I assume the ratio up there is highly favorable (roughnecks and flyboys a plenty), but seasonal depression is also a consideration as you go further north. Perpetual gray (even sunny winter days have significant declination) can wear on a person. Outdoor winter activities can certainly help in northern latitudes, though, if that's something you'd enjoy!
Not necessary male companionship, because I'm already at an Air Force base…the older I get, the harder it is for me to make friends as well. This would be an increase in pay and relocation expenses covered…biggest thing would be, could I handle the cold? Could I drive in snow?
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Also, no roughnecks please…
Get Off My Lawn
Well, I figured if it was REALLY just about picking up a real man you'd be looking at a Marine Corps base!

That aside - think of the weather as an inversion: here we use remote start and avoid the elements (outside of intentionally weather specific activities) in the summer, but it's mild and enjoyable in the winter. Up north it's the same patterns of behavior - it's just that your 'indoor season' is now winter. One nice thing about going way up north though, is if the snow sticks in Minot (I don't have personal experience there). When it's snowy, a person can use cross country ski, snow shoe, snowmobile, etc. whereas in places like Kansas you get a cold winter without the winter activities. Also - if it stays below freezing outdoor ice skating can be an option, too.

As to driving - icy roads are more of an issue than snowy - and once it gets below freezing you'd get snow rather than ice, but they've got the equipment up there to keep them cleared. either way.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
well, I said yes....so we will see how it goes...
74OA
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

well, I said yes....so we will see how it goes...
It has to be better than Cannon. If not, do your thing for a while and move on again. View it as a resume builder.
aznaggiegirl07
harleyds2
AG
Spent 3.5 years at cannon afb in the mid/late 80s. Loved my time there. I decided early in my Air Force career to enjoy every where I was. NM is great for the outdoors. Sitting in the mountains of NM as we speak
CanyonAg77
AG
harleyds2 said:

I decided early in my Air Force career to enjoy every where I was

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

Phillipians 4:11
wildmen09
AG
Was there from '12-15. Still easily one of our most enjoyable places because of the people and mission. I can definitely see how it's tough for singles though. Even the wife and I would drive to Minneapolis on the weekends to get away to a city.

Try to get outdoors as much as you can and enjoy what there is to do. The southwest part of the state is beautiful and you can get over to Montana as well.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
it's meh so far, getting colder sooner rather than later.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
guys, its cold....
Noblemen06
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

guys, its cold....
That that's just December - wait til February!
CanyonAg77
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

guys, its cold....

If it makes you feel any better, check out the current weather at Clovis (Cannon AFB)

Currently winds sustained at 35-45mph, gust to 60, lots of dust in the air
aznaggiegirl07
AG
i'm kinda famous

even though i told them to spell dietitian correctly
74OA
AG
"She is indispensable to Team Minot."

Condolences. You can check out anytime you like, but now you can never leave.
CanyonAg77
AG
Congrats!
hdrydor
AG
Appreciate your service to the men and women serving at Minot AFB!

Honest question - why are you wearing a mask in your photos?
aznaggiegirl07
AG
hdrydor said:

Appreciate your service to the men and women serving at Minot AFB!

Honest question - why are you wearing a mask in your photos?

We still mask in our MTF
bigtruckguy3500
I don't ticktock, but the headline made me curious.

https://www.insider.com/air-force-hilarious-horrified-reaction-minot-base-assignment-sympathy-2023-4?

Also, some MTFs are starting to drop masking requirements unless sick or taking care of sick people.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

I don't ticktock, but the headline made me curious.

https://www.insider.com/air-force-hilarious-horrified-reaction-minot-base-assignment-sympathy-2023-4?

Also, some MTFs are starting to drop masking requirements unless sick or taking care of sick people.

I know they are unmasking, heck, Cannon started unmasking in March of last year. I was talking to my chief and shirt and they said it comes from local guidelines and DHA

I sent that TikTok to my flight chat, no response
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.