Congrats to Gen. Ramirez

3,519 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ol Jock 99
bco2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you're reading this Commandant79, congrats on moving on from interim status to the named VPSA!

https://today.tamu.edu/2021/12/17/texas-am-names-brigadier-general-joe-e-ramirez-jr-vice-president-for-student-affairs/
CanyonAg77
74OA
AG
Launching a recruiting search for a new commandant or promoting from within?
HollywoodBQ
Warrior 66
Thanks. Greatly honored to have the opportunity to continue to serve our alma mater.

We will conduct a search for a new Commandant early next semester.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! And Beat the Hell Outta Wake Forest!
GarryowenAg
AG
Congrats to BG Ramirez on the advancement to VPSA. While I complained about GVA's policies, they were far better than BG Ramirez's policies. Hopefully they find someone who's policies align with the former rather than the latter.
CanyonAg77
AG
I find your views hilarious. Having a son as a cadet during GVA, and seeing the emails sent by his wife after he resigned, I'll take Joe every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
GarryowenAg
AG
I appreciate that you find my comment(s) funny. I'm not sure why GVA's emails matter much after he resigned. Seems to carry as much weight as a president who's recently left office. I choose I to judge people's leadership style based on their policies while they're still in charge.
I Am A Critic
What did General Ramirez say when you presented your concerns to him? Or are you testicularly challenged?
Username checks out.
GarryowenAg
AG
To be precise, his title is Brigadier General Ramirez, or BG Ramirez for short; not General. As someone who's been in the service longer than a minute, you know that it's worthless to try discussing policy with command teams several echelons above your own. I know this, because I'm a current field grade. How about you?
CanyonAg77
AG
If you're not interested in how GVA acted, and the emails that reflect his character, that's your concern.
GarryowenAg
AG
That's not what you said. You said you read emails from him and his wife after he resigned. Maybe your phraseology didn't match the intent of your sentence.

Edits Quick point, I'm not trying to punch at you Canyon. I highly respect your thoughts, especially on the OB.
CanyonAg77
AG
I didn't suggest you read GVAs emails because they were full of great jokes
GarryowenAg
AG
Do you have a link to these emails?
CanyonAg77
AG
GarryowenAg said:

That's not what you said. You said you read emails from him and his wife after he resigned. Maybe your phraseology didn't match the intent of your sentence.

Edits Quick point, I'm not trying to punch at you Canyon. I highly respect your thoughts, especially on the OB.

I appreciate that. I will continue to assert that as someone introduced to the Corps of Cadets in the 1960s, a member in the 70s, one of Joe's upperclassman, a cadet parent in the 2000s, and a friend of a parent who's son was royally screwed over by GVA…

I think GVA was a disaster.

I think BG Ramirez did a great job. We old farts don't like change. But the Corps of my day would be disbanded in under a week in today's environment.
CanyonAg77
AG
GarryowenAg said:

Do you have a link to these emails?

Not right now. Pretty widely reported in the BCS press
GarryowenAg
AG
I lived through GVA's reign and wished I had someone like COL Parsons as commandant. I had my run-ins with GVA and his staff (completely deserved) and also had a lot of buddies who were "screwed" over as well (probably deserved). That being said, we all still maintained out corps status and kept our contracts. After we left, our outfit was disbanded by BG Ramirez, and several other outfits similar to ours ("The Last Castle") were disbanded; based on the purpose of equality, among other things. Yes, I wish it were the corps of yesterday, but I won't support someone who's degraded the corps to the extend that BG Ramirez has.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

a lot of buddies who were "screwed" over as well (probably deserved)
I'm not going to name the unit or even the branch, but my friend's son was 1st SGT, and in line for CO as a Zip. GVA brought over a female minority from another unit to be CO in his place. He got XO.

His unit revolted, and told him they would quit or change outfits. The kid had the strength of character to tell them not to do so, and that he would support the new CO, as should they.

Little surprise, the GVA acolyte was a disaster, but the unit muddled through.

The cadet who got passed over commissioned, and is still serving, very successfully.

He DID NOT deserve it.
Warrior 66
Won't get into any debates with GarryowenAg (being an old Cav man myself) or anyone else on social media. He's entitled to his opinion, and I respect that. Served 31 years to protect that right, and it sounds like he is still serving - something I completely respect.

However, if that FG wants to discuss his concerns about a decision I made several years ago with me, this old soldier would be happy to do so. He has nothing to lose, and there is certainly nothing I can do to hurt him in any way - nor would I want to. I can completely respect anyone who is willing to call, e-mail, or meet with me to discuss any issues he may have about any "policies" I may have enacted that he may still have issue with. Always happy to discus those with anyone who is willing to take the complaining off social media and handle it like an adult with an adult conversation.

I am very familiar with "The Last Castle" to which he alludes (and for the record, I never disbanded a single unit in the Corps during my 11 years as Commandant), and am more than happy to discuss that decision, and why it was one of the best decisions my staff and I made early on in my tenure as Commandant. Give me a call or e-mail me, GarryOwen. Happy to discuss with you.

Either way, I respect your opinion, GarryOwen, and also respect your service to our nation. Best of luck to you in your continued service. And Garry Owen! First Team!
Hey Nav
AG
Congrats on the permanent appointment to the position, BG Ramirez. It's a very important billet for our beloved University.

Hey Nav '80
CT'97
AG
Accusations made of broad generalities and vague suggestions rarely have any substance behind them.
If you can make a specific accusation and bring evidence to support it, then do so. If not, then shut up and stop wasting everyone's time.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
AgLaw02
AG
I'm always impressed at the Commandant's willingness to come here and engage anonymous irritated folks on this forum. That kind of engagement is rare from senior leaders in any organization.
Prexys Moon
AG
Very very glad to have BG Ramirez in this new position. Obviously he will serve all students and the university but it will be so good for the corps to have somebody in upper leadership at A&M who understands the value of the corps. So thankful leftists Young and Fierke are gone but we must be vigilant to keep A&M from going further down the road to becoming just another leftist state university.
FILO505
AG
Ol Jock 99
AG
Complaining about the Commandant is a fine Aggie tradition. It took many years for my blood pressure to not get to the danger zone whenever someone mentioned Ted Hopgood.. With the benefit of time and grey hair, I now recognize that dealing with "biased and out of touch" leadership (which may or may not have been the actual case, mind you) was part of the training experience.
----------------
Without the Corps, (A&M) would be just another huge public university. The Corps ensures our traditions will continue even as it reforms and modernizes itself. The Corps has its problems and its flaws but, like it or not,...it is the Corps that makes A&M different-and better. That is why I believe the Corps deserves the support of every Aggie. Including me.

-ranger65 01/31/08 (Dr Robert Gates)

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.