So, how does everyone feel about Afghanistan falling?

8,669 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by OldArmyCT
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spyderman said:

Why are/were we over there in the first place?

Looking for aliens.
traxter
How does everyone feel about all the politicians jumping in to score political points right now?
Naveronski
AG
traxter said:

How does everyone feel about all the politicians jumping in to score political points right now?
**** 'em all.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
FWIW, any Texas current/former military resident can file a Request for Confidentiality Under Tax Code 25.025. So when the Taliban lands, they can't look you up to pay you a visit.
nortex97
AG
OldArmyCT said:

War 01: Don't pull your troops out when you still have about 15,000 Americans living there.
When you realize the bad guys have control of every air asset we gave the Afghans, bomb them.
Never trade an imprisoned Taliban leader (or 5) for a deserter.
Never release 5000 imprisoned bad guys for no reason.
Never elect a president with the cognitive ability of your grandpa who is already in assisted living.
My company in Vietnam was there for 5 years, we lost 52 men, 10 of them are still over there, somewhere. I'm dumbstruck by what is going on in Afghanistan today and have zero faith in the ability of our leadership to end this in any semblance of an orderly manner. And I'm dang glad I have no relatives left in the military.

So, you're pretty satisfied with Xiden's performance, in short? LOL.
etxag02
OldArmyCT said:

War 01: Don't pull your troops out when you still have about 15,000 Americans living there.
We were going to leave 650 troops in Afghanistan to "guard the embassy and airport" after our complete "withdrawal" but then the military collapsed in 11 days and the government fled the country. Americans planned on living and working there afterwards.
nortex97
AG
etxag02 said:

OldArmyCT said:

We were going to leave 650 troops in Afghanistan to "guard the embassy and airport" after our complete "withdrawal" but then the military collapsed in 11 days and the government fled the country. Americans planned on living and working there afterwards.
When we abandoned Kandahar (under Biden orders) any sane American should have gotten out asap.
Spyderman
AG
Naveronski said:

Spyderman said:

Why are/were we over there in the first place?

Looking for aliens.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3043332/1

What were we over there for?
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
bigtruckguy3500
traxter said:

You know, I've been thinking a lot about the public response to this. Specifically about the KIA we had. Can't help but think that if the public cared this much about all the 2000+ deaths we had over there, and all the wounded, that maybe there may have been more political pressure to wrap things up over there sooner.

Not sure why so many people suddenly care. I think it's maybe because they didn't view this as a standard combat operation where death is more of a possibility. Maybe it was seen as more of a humanitarian mission, and seen as more safe. Maybe it was because it was so many in one day (although I don't recall that many people caring when a chinook went down, or other blood days). Maybe they're in shock because it looks like we just lost, and they suddenly care about a 20 year war.

I think the politicians are definitely using this for political gain (if not now, then definitely during the midterms). Perhaps some Americans are parroting what their favorite political party/politician is saying. But I think maybe most are just a little shocked lashing out.
JABQ04
AG

To most, the suicide bombing was just the headline of the week. As I'm sure you've noticed we've already moved on.
Stat Monitor Repairman

In 2008, Biden describes how the US will withdraw in 7- months and leave billions in equipment behind that will later be used against us.

What do you make of this?

Red1
IMO We used an unachievable doctrine in Afghanistan which was winning the hearts and minds of the Afghans.

Let me explain further. Setting up a democratic government, building institutions and infrastructure, and fighting the Taliban was predicated upon winning the hearts and minds of the Afghans. We needed them to take the reigns to determine their future, but they did not achieve that. Unfortunately we were a one trick pony and thought the principles of COIN was the answer for 20 years.

Carl Von Clausewitz an 1800s Austrian military theorist said there exists a trinity of war:
- Passion of the people.
- Military acumen.
- Rational government.

If you apply the trinity to Afghanistan then we will notice the people lacked the passion to pursue a free country nor the will to take on the Taliban. The military sucked. The government sucked as well. This analysis shows that a free democratic Afghanistan had no chance. Then we had no chance of winning in that despicable country.
OldArmyCT
AG
I flew helicopters in Vietnam, also graduated in '73 (H-2). Afghanistan will never turn out like Vietnam and I guarantee the overwhelming majority of those who served there are ticked off. Big time.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.