PCS moving with firearms

3,934 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 2004FIGHTINTXAG
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When y'all PCS do you transport firearms yourself, or let the movers take them? And why? If you transport yourself, and are going someplace where you'll need to stay in the base hotel till you find a place, do you just find someone off base to hang onto them when you get into town?
Jock 07
AG
I've done both. If I'm taking them with me I have a buddy off base hold onto them for me until I can get set up. If I don't know anyone in the area I let the movers take them.
74OA
AG
Back in my day, you could deposit firearms at the military police armory until you were set up off-base.
USAFAg
AG
74OA said:

Back in my day, you could deposit firearms at the military police armory until you were set up off-base.
This. As far as I know, you still can. I wouldn't trust movers as far as I could throw them. Had a number of items stolen during the moves and firearms would be high on the list of things likely to grow legs and walk off.

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
falcon09
AG
I've always transported them personally. I haven't had any issues with things disappearing during a move, but maybe that's because we have things that we always take ourselves.

While probably not the most correct answer, I've always just kept my firearms unloaded and locked in the car when PCSing. Even if we were staying on base. Nobody has ever asked any questions.
74OA
AG
You should check each base's policy first. Some don't allow storing personal weapons in vehicles at all and some that do require a locked container in the car. No point exposing yourself to a big disciplinary ding. For Example
bigtruckguy3500
Definitely the last thing I need is a random search and a disciplinary issue - I've been selected 4 times over the past 7 years, 3 of which were at a very inopportune time. Probability is low, but risk is high.

I've also heard to never let the movers handle your weapons, some even say to not even let them know you have weapons. But as I've accumulated more things that need to travel with me, room is getting tight, and I'm thinking I may need to send some of my rifles with the movers next time.

Thanks for the input.

74OA
AG
Or just ship them insured to your sponsor?
Smeghead4761
7 PCS moves over 20 years, I always moved my own guns. The first couple of times, I only had a few guns, and it was just easier. Then the third move, I requested a bonded carrier who could handle guns, and Transportation failed to get one, leaving me on my own. After that, I did it on my own. (Ammo as well, because movers won't touch that. Hazmat.)

That said, the last 10-12 years of my career, my collection would probably be described as "large" if not "extensive". Also, since most of it was military surplus guns, probably interesting to any armor whose arms room might be entrusted with it. I wouldn't trust some armorer I didn't know not to damage something while coon fingering it.

That said, except for my very last PCS move and my retirement move, I always had my housing lined up when I arrived, be it returning to a house I already owned from a previous tour, to on base, to off base rental. The last two I had to put my guns and ammo in a storage unit. (A lot of storage places don't want firearms and ammo in their units. I just didn't tell them.)

So, to me, the optimum solution is to 1) Get housing lined up at your destination in advance; and 2) Move the guns and ammo yourself.
cavscout96
AG
Langenator said:

So, to me, the optimum solution is to 1) Get housing lined up at your destination in advance; and 2) Move the guns and ammo yourself.

This x 1000
Hey Nav
AG
I never sent fireams overseas. The only issue I ever had, many years ago, was shipping from Alaska. I was going to drive through Canada for a little while after landing in Seattle - so I shipped my guns. One of the movers put a "slash" on the "unmarked" box that had a revolver stowed away. I surmised he wanted that Ruger.

I asked a friend about this - he is big into his guns. He uses a licensed dealer to mail firearms (I think that is what 740 is talking about).
Smeghead4761
OCONUS duty stations are a wholly different proposition. Foreign countries because you can't take your guns, and AK and HI because you can't drive there. (Yes, you can technically drive to AK. But do you know anyone who PCSed using the Al-Can highway? And Canada wouldn't let you bring your guns through anyway.)

When I was stationed in Germany (1997-2000) you could actually buy guns at the Rod & Gun clubs that some posts had. I bought a SiG and and HK while I was there. I didn't find out about the ATF import forms (form 6) until I made my appointment for movers to come home. That was fun.

There's also the consideration of what the gun laws are at the next duty stations, as well as states you may be driving through.
F4GIB71
Old man story here. Was going PCS to Ubon Thailand in late 72 for my SEA tour. Air Force issued .38 revolvers to aircrew in those days. I had an instructor shot down on his first tour who said a .38 was a POS to reload while being chased through rice paddies, so I bought a Browning Hi Power. Was flying commercial from Houston to SF then on to Travis. Called the Airlines and asked how to transport a pistol. They just said to put into my luggage. Got to Travis and asked same question. Just stick in your B-4 bag. Think I'd broken the code by then so may not have asked again leaving Philippines after Jungle Survival school. Got to Ubon and asked where to store it. They said couldn't have private firearm in Thailand. Just kept it in my locker until whenever I went to fly. Clearly wasn't only one with personal firearm. Just stuck in my B-4 when I DEROS'd.

Times have changed a bit!
Hey Nav
AG
GIB - cool story.

I was on the tail end of the .38 era - I could, for some reason, score better with the .38 than the 9mm. (Btw, never never "fail"your annual qual - some dingleberry Lt thought it would be a good idea to fail - what would happen? Another day shooting 300 rounds and getting great instruction from a professional. Sigh.) My Operations Officer did not see the humor :-)

We did not think the .38 or 9mm was sufficient for hauling the cargo to the remote radar sites in Alaska - especially the poor unlucky crew that had to go out to the field during an ORI. (Better than the Everglades, but still a bit dangerous in Alaska during the summer.)

We all carried better weapons - I always had a .44 magnum in my helmet bag, and, of course, the requisite fishing rod for delays at many sites.
Jock 07
AG
I might be the only one but the idea of turning my personal guns over to the armory where they record and enter the S/Ns of everything isn't very appealing to me. I know you have to do the same when moving with the shipping company but pretty sure they don't enter them into a database.
GAC06
AG
I would never turn my guns into a base armory. Always drove them and stored with a friend each PCS
Uncle Bug
AG
Contracted packers/movers clearly stated prior to day 1 of packing that they will not ship firearms or ammo. Also, no base I've been to in the last couple of decades do not want you to roll in with a mini armory and 'stash them for you' while you take a while to settle. If I did not have a house lined-up, I would store them at a friend's house until we settled. Related, after a few years in the military, you have friends EVERYWHERE. ...at least you SHOULD.

Side note: Bad idea to keep them in your vehicle during a travel stopover at hotel - I don't care HOW many surveillance cameras they have.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Took my guns with me the last three moves. No issues.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.